• Manuel
    suicide by mod vibe.DingoJones

That's a term?

:rofl:
  • Baden

What I find distressing is low quality posters carelessly spamming threads with their random thoughts. You may be right that it's in bad taste to say anything negative about them when they're gone, but that I'm less concerned about. We have different priorities, I guess.

It wasn't just mods. He's absolutely convinced he knows what's going on in other people's heads. Just that in the case of mods it prevented him from doing what he was asked.
  • Baden
    Just for clarification, before PMs, I had spent a significant amount of time trying to convince @Foghorn in-thread to stay on topic and had to delete a bunch of his posts.
  • praxis
    Banned FoghornBaden

I'm guessing not for the first time.
  • DingoJones

It should be lol
    You can see it coming a good ways off.
  • Changeling
    Beyond that, this thread where we all say snotty things behind the backs of those who can no longer defend themselves sets a very poor example from the top.
    — Foghorn

This is something that has always bothered me. If it's important that the person be kicked out in order to maintain the quality of the forum, so be it. Gloating once it's done is stomach-turning. It's especially distressing when it comes from moderators
    T Clark

@DingoJones is the main perpetrator of this
  • Baden
    Christ, let's not have a witch hunt over it. I, for one, am sorry I said anything. There is a fair point in there actually.
  • DingoJones

…you might be right. I feel like I only do that about people who have shown themselves to be the degree of prick not deserving of courtesy but you’re right its pretty petty. I should re-evaluate my actions, thanks for pointing that out.
  • T Clark
    Thank goodness. She was extremely determined in expressing her views.Jack Cummins

I just went and looked through @Iris0's posts, such as they are. Generally they seemed on target and reasonable. It was certainly clear that she felt strongly about the transgender issue. She expressed herself harshly, but she made good points. I didn't see anything that stepped over the line.

I think this is just one more sign that strong feminists are not welcome here on the forum.
  • Pfhorrest
    this thread where we all say snotty things behind the backs of those who can no longer defend themselves sets a very poor example from the top.Foghorn

Especially when it occasions that one of those people later returns and can defend themselves.
  • Pfhorrest
    strong feminists are not welcome here on the forumT Clark

Only if you equate feminism with transphobia.
  • Pfhorrest
    I'm guessing not for the first time.praxis

Only one person has ever been unbanned and it wasn’t him.
  • BC
    Ban in Boston, condemn in Cleveland, and banish from Baltimore as you will, but I thought his discussions with me were OK.
  • Baden

Sure, he wasn't banned for low quality.
  • Baden

He's just trying to provoke a response. The idea that Iris was banned because she's a feminist is one of the stupidest things I've heard claimed on this thread.
  • praxis
    Only one person has ever been unbanned and it wasn’t him.Pfhorrest

The fellow I was thinking of has been banned at least twice.
  • T Clark
    He's just trying to provoke a response. The idea that Iris was banned because she's a feminist is one of the stupidest things I've heard claimed on this thread.Baden

I don't think she was banned for being a feminist. I think she was banned for forcefully expressing a reasonable feminist position that wasn't in line with the forum's orthodoxy.

On the other hand, the claim that @Iris0 was banned for low quality posts is ridiculous.
  • Jack Cummins

I couldn't see any feminist approach to Iris's comments and she didn't really make any arguments. She just kept saying that transgender people offended her sense of being a woman, and she just kept writing repetitive posts, and not taking on board anyone else's point of view at all. If she had not been banned I wonder if she would still be writing on the thread right now.

Also, even before she launched onto the particular thread, she was writing so many comments on other thread discussions, just as a couple of others who got banned recently were doing.
  • BC
    she just kept writing repetitive posts, and not taking on board anyone else's point of view at allJack Cummins

Why, that NEVER happens here! I'm shocked--shocked!--to hear such a thing.
  • T Clark
    I couldn't see any feminist approach to Iris's comments and she didn't really make any arguments. She just kept saying that transgender people offended her sense of being a woman,Jack Cummins

Her comments made sense to me. I can understand why a woman would be upset by the way the definition of the word "woman" being changed without a thought for the implications for women in general.

and she just kept writing repetitive posts, and not taking on board anyone else's point of view at all.Jack Cummins

As @Bitter Crank noted, if repetitive posts were a good reason for banning, the tumbleweeds would be blowing through the empty streets of the Philosophy Forum. I also didn't see anyone else "taking on board" her point of view.

She'd been here for less than a day for goodness sakes.
  • Streetlight
    Having not read a single thing @Iris0 wrote in the sex thread, but having come across her posts elsewhere, the banning was well justified. If you can't be bothered to minimally punctuate your posts, you can stick to facebook or social media.

Second, the consternation over having a banning thread is bizarre. This thread exists for transparency - the other option being that we ban people entirely on the sly, and/or have discussions of banning pollute threads which should be on topic.
  • Judaka

The admins just dislike weird grammar and odd styles of articulation and such has been banned here many times. Also, the number of posts there are, she did what, 113 in 1 or 2 days? I don't personally believe these things merit a ban but considering who gets banned and who doesn't, these things seem to all be factors. A "high quality" post might just be one that has proper punctuation and grammar, on-topic and etc. Plenty of posters go against what the admins believe on a regular basis without being banned.
  • Baden

The bad grammar didn't help but the deciding factor was low quality lazy posts with little or no attempt to address arguments put to her and some bizarre efforts at taking offence. I'm not going to pretend we can achieve absolute consistency here, so you might be right that posters who use better grammar and punctuation or post less frequently, but equally lack substance, more easily fly under the radar.
  • Jamal
    She expressed herself harshly, but she made good points. I didn't see anything that stepped over the line.

I think this is just one more sign that strong feminists are not welcome here on the forum.
    T Clark

Baden banned her for low quality, and I would probably have done the same had I been paying attention, and that's despite the fact that I agreed with some of her points. The point though is that it's not the point someone is making that matters (within limits), but how they make it. Iris didn't argue carefully or treat the arguments of others with respect.

For the record, I personally have a lot of sympathy for the several feminists who have been accused of transphobia. It's a complicated issue and I think we need to see how it plays out rather than enforcing a way of talking about it as if it were as clear-cut as racism and sexism. There isn't even a consensus among trans people.

Others on the staff may be more liable to shout "transphobia" than I am, but there's a diversity of opinion, not a politically correct tyranny.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    13h
    T Clark

Okay, I didn't get the notice and my guess is @hyena in petticoat nor @Ladybug or @Caldwell got it either.
    Hmmm... :chin:
    Becareful whom you paint with the wide bush of assumption, especially when it comes to what does or does not make someone feel welcome.

I haven't read any of Iris's post but I do have faith in our proven leaders, with whom I don't always agree with but the bottom line is that I have seen the job of administration and I don't want to have that responsibility.
    Until I do?
    My trust is in those who do and I Thank you for giving of your time to us.
    Tiff
  • Baden
    In case anyone is still wondering, transphobia wasn't a consideration at all here, nor was it raised in the mod forum re Iris. I don't have any particular position on her positions. I don't even know what they are really behind the bluster, which is partially illustrative of why she was banned.
  • frank
    I don't think Iris was female.
  • Baden

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Tiff. Do feel free to smack us into line though as you see fit.

Fair enough. I thought she (?) indicated she was. Any reason for your opinion on this?
  • frank
    Fair enough. I thought she (?) indicated she was. Any reason for your opinion on this?Baden

Oh I didn't know they claimed femininity.

Notice my protocol pronoun use?
  • Baden

That is ridicules and very highly offensive to me.
    So now I have - as you show no respect towards me being the women I am - reached the point when I have had enough of this sort of offense.
    Iris0

Definitely did, but I thought maybe you knew something I didn't.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.