• Wayfarer
    Too much vituperative speech. Shame but there it is.
  • Moliere
    Eh, honestly, street would express anger I just didn't feel like expressing cuz I've become milder over time. But I generally agree with his comments, even when correct and angry -- people didn't like that, of course, but I think there's a place for those emotions and criticisms.
  • Hanover
    To add some context, it was not the result of an isolated comment, but it was cumulative, with efforts made to avoid this result. But, most recently, there were comments against Christianity that if made against any other religion would have resulted in an immediate ban.

I say this to let everyone know this was a difficult decision, made over a long period of time, with plenty of prior warning.
  • Changeling
    Vast swathes of the US be breathing a sigh of relief right now.
  • Tate
    I didn't get to see the intelligent part. All I saw was one cringy post after another.
  • praxis
    What a shame. The forum is lesser now.
  • skyblack
    To members of the central committee (whoever is on duty): Are all bannings announced on this horn loudspeaker (thread) ?
  • Manuel

A person who has been here for 7 years? No, it cannot possibly have been an easy choice at all, clearly we've lost a good contributor here.

However, the bit that I have seen and have spoken to him, he must have known that his way of talking to people is hardly adequate, especially on a consistent basis. Everyone will have a bad day or get mad, the issue is the frequency of the matter.

In any case, it's a loss that must have been discussed thoroughly.
  • skyblack
    Maybe i should have pinged @Baden
  • fdrake

Most bannings of real people. Any of particular note.
  • skyblack
    Most bannings of real people. Any of particular note.fdrake

"Real people" as in not socks? That's strange, cause whenever i happen to see a notification it is usually about socks being banned. In any case, so the fanfare isn't strategically decided?
  • fdrake

We ban lots of spambots and adbots.
  • skyblack

Ah, some of them averaging 100's of posts, it seems.

The reason i ask is because of this member , https://thephilosophyforum.com/profile/720/deletedmemberzc

evidently an ole timer, and not a word was spoken about it by anyone. From multiple posts everyday, this fella suddenly stopped. Naturally one will wonder. Thanks for the responses.
  • fdrake

I don't know why they were banned. That one looks like a requested deletion rather than a punitive banning, though. I don't recall that person ever breaking rules or being an arse.
  • skyblack

Maybe some arses are liked more than others. Or perhaps they are strategically useful, and therefore pampered and encouraged, it seems.

In any case who knows what goes on behind closed doors and nor is it that important. Just happened to see this and decided to check on the well being of the central committee members, and say hello so to speak. Bye
  • Mikie
    he must have known that his way of talking to people is hardly adequate,Manuel

Yes— but couldn’t help himself.

He contributed to the forum, and it’s unfortunate.

On the other hand, how one conducts oneself is equally (if not more) important than knowledge or logical correctness, in my view. So for all the talk about how intelligent he was, he was far from wise.

Makes you ask: What good does all this reading and studying do when you’re constantly angry, hostile, demeaning, and vulgar?

I look at great teachers like Chomsky, Sagan, Zinn, etc. — their actions speak for themselves. Perhaps Street was like that in person — in which case he’s one more victim of the online disinhibition syndrome.
  • Metaphysician Undercover
    Somewhere along the way, Streetlight turned from philosophy to politics, and it was all downhill from there. Let that be a lesson to all good philosophers.
  • Mikie

I’d argue if a philosopher isn’t thinking about politics, he’s hardly a philosopher at all. Here I echo (and agree with) Aristotle.
  • Jamal
    evidently an ole timer, and not a word was spoken about it by anyone. From multiple posts everyday, this fella suddenly stopped. Naturally one will wonder.skyblack

I can confirm that this member asked to be banned.
  • Manuel

I agree. And one can speak and write coming from a perspective of being angry at something or someone, it's allowable and even normal - on occasion.

That's a far cry from being bitter, vengeful, provocative (in the negative sense of the word) and insulting. That does not achieve anything, if rational discourse is the goal here (at least a good deal of the time.)

Makes you ask: What good does all this reading and studying do when you’re constantly angry, hostile, demeaning, and vulgar?Xtrix

It's a good question. I suppose (guess actually) to feel superior to someone else, in some manner.

Again, sad, but, it is what it is.
  • Noble Dust
    On the other hand, how one conducts oneself is equally (if not more) important than knowledge or logical correctness, in my view. So for all the talk about how intelligent he was, he was far from wise.Xtrix

I agree, and remember a conversation where he actually scoffed at the very concept of wisdom. Granted it's a tricky one. I wish Street no ill will and all the best in his non-forum life.
  • T Clark
    So for all the talk about how intelligent he was, he was far from wise.

Makes you ask: What good does all this reading and studying do when you’re constantly angry, hostile, demeaning, and vulgar?
    Xtrix

[irony]Thank you for your insightful comments on wisdom.[/irony]

The quality of posts on the forum has gone way down over the past year or longer. I could put up with a lot of vituperation if it meant there was some meat to chew instead of the pap we have been getting recently. There are a lot of useless, lame, insipid posts made and threads started these days. Multiple threads started one after another by people with nothing to say. One sentence OPs. People dropping into ongoing threads just to make pointless, irrelevant comments so they can hear themselves talk. The usual suspects making insubstantial snarky comments.

So, I will continue to miss @Streetlight
  • Mikie
    [irony]Thank you for your insightful comments on wisdom.[/irony]T Clark

I’m not sure where irony fits in here. Sarcasm, perhaps?

In which case all I can say is: I never said *I* was wise. I struggle with my temper and lack of patience as much as anyone.

Still, I think the question stands.

:up:
  • T Clark
    I’m not sure where irony fits in here. Sarcasm, perhaps?Xtrix

Irony - "The use of words to express something different from and often opposite to their literal meaning."

In which case all I can say is: I never said *I* was wise.Xtrix

You never said you were wise, but you pontificated on another's lack of wisdom.
  • 180 Proof
    Except for very recently, Street was always a very worthy opponent and an inspiration to read (especially his reading lists). For better or worse, banning him is definitely a loss to this community.
  • Maw
    Banning @Streetlight is bullshit
  • T Clark
    Except for very recently, Street was always a very worthy opponent and an inspiration to read (especially his reading lists). For better or worse, banning him is definitely a loss to this community.180 Proof

YGID%20small.png
  • Mikie
    You never said you were wise, but you pontificated on another's lack of wisdom.T Clark

“Pontificated” is an odd way to interpret me there. It’s just plainly true that he acted unwisely, to the extreme in fact, over and over again and even after multiple warnings.

No one is asking you not to miss someone you clearly have attachment to. But let’s try not to make things up in the meantime.
  • skyblack

:up:

I heard it through the grapevine how the toothless "make up" imaginary meat to chew on. I suppose it is like having imaginary friends eh
  • schopenhauer1

I always held out for the hope that he would have a sensible debate that didn't turn into vicious attacks, insulting rhetoric, and automatically dismissive stance against interlocutors, but that rarely happened. Shame, because he had the potential to stick to the debate and be more constructive.. But it seemed like extreme self-importance and arrogance got in the way of his own argumentation. That's my sense anyway interacting with him over the years.. We mainly got out of each other's way though.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.