• Hanover
    I'd also like to add that the final decision was fully withheld until he was given a chance to explain, apologize, or say whatever he needed to say, and his response was pretty inadequate. A real apology (to us, to whom the comment was directed, and to anyone who might have read his post) would have gone a long way, or would have at least made the decision more difficult.

When you decide to attack someone's race or sexual preference, you make it really difficult on the moderators to be lenient, regardless of who you are. We all want to be understanding and forgiving, but it's really not our place to forgive someone for insulting someone else, and no one should feel like they're not proactively being protected against truly offensive comments. I guess the takeaway here is obviously not to make those comments in the first place, but if you do, sincerely apologize to all you may have offended, and, even then, don't be terribly surprised if your behavior still results in a ban.
  • Baden

There has never been an instance where N-word flaming hasn't led to a ban and there probably never will be.
  • I like sushi
    Fair enough. I just assumed they removed it themselves after they had realised what they’d posted in a fit of anger. If it was left up I’m certain you’d have had several complaints.

All in all a bizarre episode.
  • SophistiCat
    Oh...

Odd, I have a pretty keen eye for flakes, and he didn't seem too flaky.
  • Baden

We couldn't work it out either.
  • ztaziz
    We all pop sometimes, but popping usually means your head is deflated and you'll need some time out to inflate again. A way to avoid such, don't pop.
  • Changeling
    I have a pretty keen eye for flakesSophistiCat

9TJotL6vTZQ8B6-oZGsAtCk9nL8Ql_yN8iqSRTRMj1ETyHrUy8Vu0Ze-BsWe9ve3IYvksihfWVbs8VDi1cBrCoYddCLj6ukUJ8CqZ_yw6YvKrVON5XO8hcjLi7pXw8-agamIoA81=w313-h470
  • Echarmion
    huh, wow. This is the first time I am actually sad about a ban. His posts will be missed.
  • praxis
    N-word flamingBaden

Very hard to believe that he meant that. He's been expressing frustration and disillusionment with the forum lately, so to me, it sounds like another fuck-this-place-ban-me kind of thing.
  • Artemis
    Well... This is the first time a ban has been really unexpected. Or--I should say--the behavior leading to the ban. I thought he was a good cookie :(
  • BitconnectCarlos

Very hard to believe that he meant that. He's been expressing frustration and disillusionment with the forum lately, so to me, it sounds like another fuck-this-place-ban-me kind of thing.

He was disillusioned with the forum because we weren't all praising his work and calling him the second coming of Russell or Wittgenstein, which he believed himself to be. Not the first time someone's used their intellect to (sort of) mask an inner rottenness. Honestly, I've been engaging with him for 6 months and while I've had deep philosophical disagreements with other members Pfhorrest was just in his own category of unbearableness.
  • praxis
    Not the first time someone's used their intellect to (sort of) mask an inner rottenness.BitconnectCarlos

On several occasions, he mentioned issues related to stress, so as I see it he was remarkably open. I've had anxiety issues in the past so I can relate.
  • SophistiCat
    He was disillusioned with the forum because we weren't all praising his work and calling him the second coming of Russell or Wittgenstein, which he believed himself to be.BitconnectCarlos

Nah, you are exaggerating. He was perhaps self-centered, but not uncommonly so. (You should see what a really self-obsessed flake looks like. There's at least one that is active right now.)
  • Jamal
    All right, I'm closing this now. Until the next time...
  • Jamal
    In an unprecedented move, the staff has decided to unban @Pfhorrest after communicating with him by email. We're confident that the flaming was out of character and won't happen again.
  • tim wood
    Done well, well done!
  • Baden
    Proving we're benevolent, just, kind, and all that good stuff that you always knew we were. :halo:
  • frank
    Proving we're benevolent, just, kind, and all that good stuff that you always knew we were. :halo:Baden

I never thought that. Welcome back Forrest.
  • praxis
    So there is such a thing as divine grace.
  • Changeling
    Why are we here, again?
  • frank
    Why are we here, again?Professor Death

:lol:
  • Jamal
    Why are we here, again?Professor Death

Because your benevolent overseers allow it.
  • Michael
    Proving we're benevolent, just, kind, and all that good stuff that you always knew we were.Baden

Also on a totally unrelated note somewhat richer.
  • praxis

Bribery? The plot thickens. :chin:
  • 3017amen
    Proving we're benevolent, just, kind, and all that good stuff that you always knew we were. :halo:Baden

I do think he should at least atone for his sins, against human kind!
  • Pfhorrest
    Thanks to Jamalrob and all the admins, and everyone who said kind words while I was gone. (Carlos, I have no idea where you found such animosity, I feel like we’ve barely spoken at all, but no need to dredge whatever that is up now here).

Especially to Sushi for taking it so well and speaking in my favor even though he was the target. (I still find that “not trying” remark really offensive and don’t want to engage with you anymore, but it didn’t warrant that kind of flaming).

To clear up for everyone what I already explained to Jamalrob, the last sentence of the offending post was a pre-formulated “worse insult possible” that I constructed as an intellectual exercise a long while ago when thinking about what makes swear words offensive, intentionally including a variety of different types of offense (sexual, religious, maternal, self-esteem, etc), and ending with a racist-homophobic term precisely because that’s the most offensive thing to my ear.

I definitely do not harbor any actual racist or homophobic sentiments. I do regret actually unleashing that in public, and surely would have deleted it myself if Jamalrob hadn’t gotten to it first, which he did almost immediately because I actually @ed him in the same post. I was glad it was deleted even then and grateful for the warning in lieu of a ban he gave me, and thought that was that until a few days later it suddenly wasn’t.

In any case, glad to be back and sorry for all the drama.
  • praxis
    I constructed as an intellectual exercise a long while ago when thinking about what makes swear words offensive, intentionally including a variety of different types of offense (sexual, religious, maternal, self-esteem, etc), and ending with a racist-homophobic term precisely because that’s the most offensive thing to my ear.Pfhorrest

An insult cocktail, what do you call it? Nevermind, it failed with Sushi because hot buttons need to be designed for the particular sensibilities of the target.
  • Baden

My hot button is when someone changes their avatar to a leprechaun. :rage: :rage: :lol:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.