• DingoJones
    Ouch. Just caught up on some of his gems from the sex ethics thread. His Weinstein stuff was fairly gross. The aforementioned
    misogyny. Good riddance.
  • Sir2u
    Banned alcontali for religiously-inspired extremism.Baden

:100:/ :100: :clap: One of the best things you have done for the forum. Not the best but one of them.

Personally I would have banned him for just being a twat that loves to paste Wiki stuff, but then I am probably not as ethical as you. :wink:

Keep up the good work mate. :up:
  • Baden

Thanking you. :halo:
  • Baden
    Banned @xyzmix for low quality/conspiracy theorizing.
  • bert1
    Is there a prohibition on any conspiracy theorising, or only on excessive ridiculous conspiracy theorising?
  • Baden

The latter.
  • bert1
    Thank you. :)
  • EricH
    Banned alcontali for religiously-inspired extremism.Baden

I was wondering why I hadn't seen him recently. It's too bad - I was having some interesting exchanges with him. He had a unique point of view - sort of an Islamic Chomsky-ite. And very knowledgeable about math.

Edit added: I'm not criticizing your decision.
  • Baden

No worries.
  • Metaphysician Undercover
    Far out! I guess the beer ran out.
  • Baden

Maybe. Anyway, feel free to take turns on the world's smallest violin.
  • tim wood
    Banning seems an onerous task, maybe not as easy as it sounds, and giving notice here just an extra shovelfull. But I appreciate it and the transparency of it.
  • praxis
    For being a second rate NOS?
  • Baden

I don't know the specific reason as @jamalrob banned him, but I presume it was some combination of low quality and his apparent inability to accept that we weren't going to let him call COVID, the "China virus".
  • Baden
    Just want to say btw that I'm aware the phrase "the China/Chinese virus" could be used in an innocent way, but a good faith actor would have no justifiable reason to insist on that kind of renaming when the objections are spelled out to them.
  • Baden
    Banned @wiyte for low quality.
  • Jamal
    @Pfhorrest was banned for some particularly deplorable flaming.
  • Baden
    Just want to add that if anyone loses it and flames wildly and the flame contravenes the racism/homophobia/sexism guidelines, the most likely result will be an instant ban.
  • I like sushi
    If it was for the comments yesterday they were removed, I assume by Pfhorrest almost as quickly as they’d been posted (and I was surprised that someone could make it through a university degree and snap so easily, but I certainly wasn’t offended but understand that others may have been) - plus they seem to have actually been responding in a civil manner to the critique they asked for.

If they was another instance of the same schoolyard name calling ... fair enough I guess! Otherwise a harsh and firm warning would’ve probably worked - it was clearly an emotional explosion (it happens to everyone).
  • ssu
    Too bad, I think he was a decent contributor to the forum.
  • Jamal
    Yes, it was about those comments. It was me who deleted them. And I did in fact give him a chance by first opting to warn him instead of banning instantly, on the basis that it was totally out of character, but he seemed to have no remorse about it even many hours later, and couldn't bring himself to give a strong assurance that it wouldn't happen again, and that's why I finally banned him.
  • BitconnectCarlos
    I'm honestly thrilled about this one and I stopped engaging Pfhorrest ages ago because he is not at all a reasonable person. I could have seen from a mile away that @I like sushi providing him a reasonable, well thought out critique would have set him off like this. You do not criticize his baby. I just love how beforehand he was like 'hey why are we all here?' 'why is nobody providing responses to my work?' 'does anyone here actually like philosophy or is it only me?' Anyway, thank you moderators.
  • praxis
    I was surprised that someone could make it through a university degree and snap so easilyI like sushi

It depends on the school, of course. For instance, the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry may offer a magical defense against emotional outbursts spell as part of its graduate program.
  • frank
    Lockdown-with-job-loss causes meltdown
  • SophistiCat
    Unless he persisted with flaming after warnings and deletions, banning over one meltdown seems like an overreaction. And it's not like this sort of thing doesn't happen to other members, without any repercussions. I don't have any particular attachment to Pfhorrest, but objectively he had a decent posting record.
  • Changeling
    New topic needed: Why aren't we here?
  • frank
    Because our heads exploded
  • Jamal
    I see what you're saying, but I haven't seen flaming as bad as this for a very long time, perhaps never on this forum. The guidelines make it clear that racism and homophobia are not tolerated.

https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/480/site-guidelines

His language was grounds for an instant ban, and I was initially pretty lenient in applying the rules.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.