• jgill

I've been reading some of his earlier posts and when he moves away from purely philosophical banter they read like a novel, fascinating at times. I wonder, did this guy get a PhD in math eventually? He sounds very distracted from the intensities those programs normally exhibit. In his later incarnations on TPF did he ever get into math discussions?
  • Baden

I don't know (there may have been but I only remember there was nothing objectionable in what I saw) and I don't know why he needed twenty different accounts either. Baffling.
  • T Clark
    Baffling.Baden

Is it possible that Chat GPT or other similar program hacked into TPF and created Hoo and a chain of sockpuppets including all their discussions, posts, and other members responses to them just to undermine Green Flag's membership? It's my understanding that Dominion Voting Systems is a major sponsor of AI research.
  • Ying
    Banned Bartricks for a consistently disruptive and insulting attitude. Long overdue really.Jamal

Normally I consider the celebration of a ban unseemly, but in this case I encourage it.Jamal

Well, in that case, I'll add my 2 cents. Somewhat sad to see him go, honestly. Now I don't have a clown to laugh at whenever I visit. Maybe he'll find a different community with like minded people, so they can all feel superior to each other.
  • fdrake
    @green flag was unbanned after a lovely email pointing out an error that we made. Allegedly they asked to be banned in the days of yore, and it would be strange to keep someone banned if they weren't banned for any misconduct.

We now have the "suspended" role, which can be used to stop someone posting. This can be imposed instead of banning the account, allowing someone to avoid asking to be banned to avoid posting.

We do need @green flag to stop creating sockpuppets though. We can use the "suspended" condition instead. Creation of sockpuppets remains against the rules.
  • 0 thru 9
    :up: The wisdom of Solomon all around. Wonderful!
  • T Clark
    green flag was unbanned after a lovely email pointing out an error that we made. Allegedly they asked to be banned in the days of yore, and it would be strange to keep someone banned if they weren't banned for any misconduct.fdrake

I'm glad. Welcome back @green flag.

We now have the "suspended" role, which can be used to stop someone posting.fdrake

I'm glad about this too.
  • Baden
    green flag was unbanned after a lovely email pointing out an error that we made. Allegedly they asked to be banned in the days of yore, and it would be strange to keep someone banned if they weren't banned for any misconduct.fdrake

Actually he didn't say he asked to be banned. He locked himself out of his own account several times then came back as a succesion of sockpuppets. He was then banned for multiple sockpuppetry. So, we didn't make a mistake but seeing as he wasn't banned for content and he explained the sockpuppetry in some detail, and also seems a very good poster, we're all happy for him to come back if he wants.
  • fdrake
    Actually he didn't say he asked to be banned. He locked himself out of his own account several times then came back as a succesion of sockpuppets. He was then banned for multiple sockpuppetry. So, we didn't make a mistake but seeing as he wasn't banned for content and he explained the sockpuppetry in some detail, and also seems a very good poster, we're all happy for him to come back if he wants.Baden

I misread, apologies.
  • Baden

:cool: :up:
  • Baden
    I've firmed up the reference to sockpuppets in the guidelines now so there's no confusion in future:

"Sockpuppets: You may be banned. The onus is on you to explain to us if you are using the same IP for multiple accounts."
  • plaque flag

I very much appreciate those who make this place possible understanding and forgiving my eccentric comings and goings. It really was as simple as me getting addicted to this site and putting off real world responsibilities, and then being too proud / embarrassed to ask others to manage this for me. In my own view, it was a small thing, since I wasn't (in my eyes) violating the spirit of the rules but only treading equivocally on its letter. But I should have been more sensitive to how it would look to others and have taken more trouble to color very definitely within the lines.

I'm glad. Welcome back green flag.T Clark

Thanks, T. It's beautiful to see such kindness despite our temporary clash of ideas right before I was banned.
  • Baden

:smile: :up:
  • jgill

Back in the saddle. Great! :cool:
  • Banno
    On the third day he rose again...
  • 0 thru 9
    A happy ending to the story! Happens once in a while.
    What I don’t get is the hatred for sock puppets.
    Reveal
    ?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.-9kCVyXxvIoFJRRL_DWamAHaJa%26pid%3DApi&f=1&ipt=e5327dbcf071cb27ba4dba80728ff8c8c5fa572374c5b9b9accfee24bf0ea4b8&ipo=images
  • T Clark
    What I don’t get is the hatred for sock puppets.0 thru 9

Yeah, me either. I'm actually a sock puppet for @Baden. As a moderator I don't want to overwhelm people with my wisdom, sophistication, and wit, so I created T Clark to represent my better self. [Edit] Kappa.
  • Tom Storm
    What I don’t get is the hatred for sock puppets.0 thru 9

Why do people create sock puppets? What are they for?
  • BC
    Why do people create sock puppets? What are they for?Tom Storm

It's a deviant sexual thing.
  • jgill
    DSC_0187_medium2.webp#JPG

How could anyone not appreciate this, a Sach's Puppet? :smile:
  • Wayfarer
    Why do people create sock puppets? What are they for?Tom Storm

Typically it's a moderator slang referring to a banned user who re-joins under a different ID - hence the whole kerfuffle in this case.

:lol:
  • Tom Storm
    Thanks. I thought it was referring to having 2 or 3 sock puppets on at once...
  • Jamal
    I banned @Nickolasgaspar for refusing moderation following a request that he refrain from attacking people personally.
  • Tom Storm
    You got to stop posting pictures of Jordan Peterson, Prax. People will talk.
  • Ø implies everything
    He didn't really seem like a philosopher to me, from the little I saw of his comments.
  • universeness

I think that's a pity. I had one or two early 'insult fests' with him, when I was 'newer' to the forum but I did find him very knowledgeable in topics like neuroscience etc.
    Was it not possible to go for a 'suspension style' cooling off period?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.