• Mr Bee
    Eh, I don't think he'd succeed anyways but do you think he's gonna try one what with his sudden firings of Pentagon officials? Personally I'd find it hilarious if he did that as a last resort (though I'd imagine it would be terrifying for people who care about the future of the country). I don't know much about coups but I'm pretty sure scrambling to put one together in a few weeks after losing an election is not how to do one.
  • frank
    Perhaps it's fitting, for those Americans who think their own armed forces is their biggest fear will never change their view as the thinking is more of a religious idea: that the American state itself being the enemy. No logical conclusion done by looking at the facts will change that.ssu

I guess you're talking about boomers and gen-x?
  • Baden
    Holy fucking clown show, Batman. :rofl:

u2tr208zqgc4r2cs.png
  • Baden
    Trump's transformation of the Republican party into the tinfoil-hat-nutjob-circus party is complete. :victory:
  • Michael
    I hear he made a fool of himself in court the other day. His first time in 30 years or something.
  • Baden

It's just surreal at this point.
  • 180 Proof
    Trump's transformation of the Republican party into the tinfoil-hat-nutjob-circus party is complete. :victory:Baden
    :mask: :up:
  • Pfhorrest
    Trump's transformation of the Republican party into the tinfoil-hat-nutjob-circus party is complete. :victory:Baden

And the fact that about half the voters voted for him anyway is a commensurate condemnation of the state of American culture.
  • Wayfarer
    And the fact that about half the voters voted for him anyway is a commensurate condemnation of the state of American culture.Pfhorrest

Sad, sad, sad. I heard a story yesterday about patients, desperately ill with COVID-19, shrieking at the hospital staff trying to save their lives that 'COVID is a political conspiracy'.

This is Trump's true poison - demolishing any idea of there being an objective reality. He has sucked tens of millions of people into his vortex of delusion.
  • Janus
    Man, that isn't funny!
  • Wayfarer
    After failing repeatedly in court to overturn election results, President Trump is taking the extraordinary step of reaching out directly to Republican state legislators as he tries to subvert the Electoral College process, inviting Michigan lawmakers to meet with him at the White House on Friday.

A source with knowledge of the trip said that Mr. Trump would meet with Michigan’s Senate majority leader, Mike Shirkey, and speaker of the House, Lee Chatfield, late Friday afternoon. Both lawmakers are Republicans who have said that whoever has the most votes in Michigan after the results are certified will get the state’s 16 electoral votes.

The White House invitation to Republican lawmakers in a battleground state is the latest — and the most brazen — salvo in a scattershot campaign-after-the-campaign waged by Mr. Trump and his allies to cast doubt on President-elect Joseph R. Biden Jr.’s decisive victory.
    — NY Times

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2020/11/19/us/joe-biden-trump-updates/trump-tries-to-subvert-the-election-inviting-michigan-gop-lawmakers-to-the-white-house

And Mitch McConnell stands by and says nothing while the 'Trump allies' work to overthrow the results of a validly-conducted election.
  • Baden

What about this?

ayyxlcow325ro1uq.png
  • Michael
    The sheer incompetence of the Trump administration and campaign is staggering.
  • Baden

Yes, but let's not forget that Ghouliani is a sleeper agent hired by George Soros, Ayatollah Khomeini and Hugo Chavez (who is alive and well and living in a Hillary Clinton bodysuit) to destroy the Republican party. :party:
  • Janus
    Yep, that's funny...but also kinda sad...
  • Baden

Indeed, poor Hugo. RIP. :death:
  • Leghorn
    Barack Obama, a young black man, first in American history, with an Arabic name, becomes president, mirabile dictu, seeming to usher in the great opening of American society so many of us had looked forward to, while adhering to all the long established conventions of our govt...

Then his Immediate successor is an old white selfish bigot, incarnation of king George of England, who would aspire to absolute power, and subvert all those same conventions established over centuries...

One of the tiredest bromides about our system of govt, liberal democracy, that it is fragile, becomes suddenly true, and looking back over the history of the Ancient Greek and Roman regimes one must wonder whether it is true that a state’s demise occurs precisely at the moment it seems to be in its fullest flower, fulfilling its greatest potential, as the Roman republic was when a philosopher had just served as head of state, and the greatest moral authority, Cato Minor, was soon to deny Caesar the glory of pardoning him by taking his own life in that famous and ghastly way.
  • Pfhorrest
    In this case it seems somewhat plausible that it was precisely the election of Obama that triggered the backlash that lead to Trump. His election spurred hope for minority identities, while his administration did little to address the systemic economic problems that plague people of all types alike. This both pissed off the pre-existing contingent of bigots who were just unhappy that anyone not exactly like them was in charge, and left a lot of other people, who are demographically like them but may not have been so explicitly bigoted before, still hurting despite the promises of hope and change, and looking for a scapegoat to blame for that. Hence the motley assortment of everyone already anti-left and everyone who the so-called “left” of America had let down, scrambling for any “outsider” to shake things up... and there’s Trump.
  • Leghorn
    I don’t have time to respond to you just now Phforrest, but I like your answer; I will respond tomorrow, when I have had time to more fully consider your words, logous, rationes: it is my bedtime.
  • ssu
    The sheer incompetence of the Trump administration and campaign is staggering.Michael

Look at this way: as Trump makes this a huge fiasco of whining and lost court cases, the less he will have influence later come 2022 and 2024.

There's only so many redneck Republicans. Just like not all Democrats were enthusiastic Bernie supporters.
  • Wayfarer
    Where Hugo Chavez got into the act:

Sidney Powell claimed that widely used voting machines from the election technology company Dominion Voting Systems featured software created "at the direction" of former Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez to swing his own election results, and that the company has ties to the Clinton Foundation and Soros.

Facts first: None of this is true. Dominion has no corporate ties with Venezuela, the Clinton Foundation or Soros.
    — CNN

Meanwhile, Rudy's Dripping Hair Dye stole the show. It was infinitely more classy than anything he actually said.

5fb6d00550e71a00115564a0?width=700
  • Baden

“What the hell was going on with Rudy?... Was his brain shitting itself? I didn’t even know that sideburns could get periods. You know your legal strategy is fucked up when even your hair starts crying about it.”

-Trevor Noah

:rofl:
  • Streetlight
    My fav comparison:

ooodsn24t1yuqvb6.jpg
  • Benkei
    Looks like a fly with diarrhoe took a shit.
  • Hippyhead
    So I'm still trying to figure out what Trump's goal is in denying the validity of the election.

Is it something simple like the desire to stay in the spotlight as long as possible? Is it basically just spoiled brat egoism?

Or is there a larger plan in the works? Is he already running for 2024? Is he planning on transitioning from king to king maker, a new version of Rush Limbaugh? Maybe start his own media network called TrumpTV? Is he preparing his base to accept a coming coup?

Is it just a business calculation, with all publicity judged to be good publicity for his brand renting business?

Has he just trapped himself inside of an ego outburst? Or is his ever scheming mind cooking up a larger agenda? If so, what?
  • Ciceronianus
    Meanwhile, Rudy's Dripping Hair Dye stole the show. It was infinitely more classy than anything he actually said.Wayfarer

As a lawyer, and as someone of (largely) Italian descent, I'm horrified by this seemingly demented and contemptible faccia di cazzo.
  • Leghorn
    I’m not sure Trump’s ascension to power was set up by Obama’s presidency so much as by Hillary’s candidacy...

In general, the eight years in which Obama served were marked by uneventfulness. True, we had a Great Recession, but the recovery was swift, and soon the economy was as robust as ever. One could imagine him being re-elected indefinitely, like FDR, and the cruelest thing I ever heard him say, a man so mild and gentle, was, after Hillary lost, “I could have won this election”: that was an unnecessary public belly-ache directed at his former faithful Secretary of State...though it was probably true...

...but Hillary was just too milquetoast, not a figure to inspire like her predecessor. It was time for another rock star to inspire the electorate...but how different a character!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.