• 3017amen
    NOS4A2 could actually be a paid Russian troll, but even if that's true, his posts still meet that good-faith "effort" requirement, and he otherwise colors inside the aforementioned hostility lines,VagabondSpectre

Wow, call me niave, but that's plausible...
  • DingoJones
    Or read the guidelines.Baden

I did read the guidelines when I first arrived, but obviously there is going to be some variance in application between different mods, thats what im trying to track.

It's understandable that it came off to you in a certain way. But there's not much I can do about that except point to his comment history. You are not on our radar re bans and as far as I know haven't been.Baden

Thats good news, but Im still interested in not getting on that radar in the future as well.
    If you could indulge me a bit further, Id like to offer an example id like b your take on.
    So there is that “colorblind” thread, where race is being discussed. Ive said things in that thread that got me called a racist (I think a bigot as well if I remember right), and strictly speaking that is ban worthy, right? No mods said anything to me about it, but then this omni guy puts out something much more mild and he got banned...so I thought maybe I’d just slipped under the radar but still would be at risk should I be noticed by a mod the next time. Hence im feeling it out here.
    If you are familiar with the colorblind thread, do you think I was playing with fire with the ideas I expressed?
  • DingoJones
    And excuse the festive sarcasm. The post in question was simply a non-sequitur. The implication you suggested didn't follow from anything I said.Baden

Its hard to tell online when someones being lighthearted, its mostly interaction and experience that indicates when a person might be having a little fun with things. Consider your impish impulses duly noted, so long as you return the favour in kind. :wink:
  • Baden

No, I didn't see anything mod-worthy at the time and looking at it again I still don't.
  • Baden

Sure thing. :up:
  • DingoJones

Thanks for that post, appreciated.
  • Baden
    @Mark Dennis had his membership privileges removed for refusing moderation and threatening legal action against the site because we edited some personal information out of his proposed question to Prof. Pigliucci. He was finally banned today for setting up two fake membership accounts.
  • Pfhorrest
    Sorry to see his presence here end that way. Best of luck elsewhere Mark, I enjoyed talking to you.
  • Baden

Yes, this was very unexpected.
  • Baden
    Incidentally, the sockpuppet accounts were @Vespasian Stark and @Spirit12. I won't go into more detail, but if you see anything odd, please report. Thanks.
  • Artemis
    Mark Dennis had his membership privileges removed for refusing moderation and threatening legal action against the site because we edited some personal information out of his proposed question to Prof. Pigliucci. He was finally banned for setting up two fake membership accounts.Baden

:gasp: Aw, that's too bad. Despite our rocky start, we were getting along just fine and I appreciated much of his commentary. Too bad he couldn't back down from that whole issue.

We've had a series of (semi-)unexpected bannings in the past few months. I wonder what's up with that. Statistical happenstance? It can't be the weather, cause we live so dispersed. Is the era of Trump just making everyone cranky? Hmmmm...
  • DingoJones

In what way was he refusing moderation?
  • unenlightened
    I would like to make it clear that i did not have sex with the woman I have no memory of having been photographed with, and If I did, I did not inhale. Anyway I was only there to explain that I could not continue the relationship that I have no recollection of. And anyway it was an accident. I mean consensual. Massage. I like massage quite a lot. I was in the war you know.
  • Metaphysician Undercover

Take it to The Lounge. Maybe you'll find some sympathy. Or you might just bore everyone to sleep.
  • praxis
    Curious what sort of legal action could be undertaken for editing out the personal information of a member.
  • Pfhorrest
    He says it's about access to his "data" and "research". I'm not sure what that means exactly; his posts? [Edit: he's clarified that he means his private correspondence and his OP for Pigliucci] (I'm in email contact with him BTW, if anyone wants to get in touch with him directly let me know).
  • Artemis

I asked this before, but if he wants Pigliucci to hear his life story so bad, why doesn't he just email him himself?
  • tim wood
    Is the era of Trump just making everyone cranky?Artemis
    It makes me grumpy and cranky. Having long ago been disabused of the notion that I was special, I assume it makes other people grumpy and cranky and even angry as well - aka group trauma. (Actually not a joke.)
  • creativesoul
    He was finally banned for setting up two fake membership accounts.Baden

That's bannable?

:brow:

Oh... fake... like information that contradicts each other?
  • fdrake

Posters:

Types of posters who are welcome here:

Those with a genuine interest in/curiosity about philosophy and the ability to express this in an intelligent way, and those who are willing to give their interlocutors a fair reading and not make unwarranted assumptions about their intentions (i.e. intelligent, interested and charitable posters).

Types of posters who are not welcome here:

Evangelists: Those who must convince everyone that their religion, ideology, political persuasion, or philosophical theory is the only one worth having.

Racists, homophobes, sexists, Nazi sympathisers, etc.: We don't consider your views worthy of debate, and you'll be banned for espousing them.

Advertisers, spammers: Instant deletion of post followed by ban.

Trolls: You know who you are. You won't last long

Sockpuppets
  • Baden

The refusing moderation bit was refusing to accept us editing out personal information from the questions, first about his mother then about this father. But what got him banned in the end was his setting up of sockpuppet accounts and posting with them.

We don't fully understand this either.

That's bannable?creativesoul

Yes. But taken in context.
  • Baden
    Anyway, the requisite period has passed, so I'm going to close this again.
  • unenlightened
    Yes, not the quality one would wish for in a corespondent. I do agree with @leo though that the lack of notification and inability to display deletions is regrettable. Transparency promotes confidence. Pauline software rules!
  • 3017amen
    He has a tendency to drop the F-bomb when he gets angry, this from another thread:

"So that even the dumb fuckers can understand it. "

I'm not a prude by any stretch, but when a person posts that type of language on a public forum...well..it kinda tells you something... .
  • praxis

What the fuck does it tell you?
  • Pantagruel
    I'm not a prude by any stretch, but when a person posts that type of language on a public forum...well..it kinda tells you something... .3017amen

Kinda
  • 3017amen
    What the fuck does it tell you?praxis

Great question! Maybe start a thread on why people feel the need to swear all the time. Currently, cognitive science suggests swearing could be a sign of poor character, dishonesty, and other deficient social skills... I think Freud called it the phenomenon of parapraxis (no pun intended).
  • praxis

I can assure you that I've made no recent slip of the tongue (or fingers), so lighten up, buttercup.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.