• Christoffer
    low quality culture war stuffJamal

I predict a rapid escalation of this stuff over the coming months.
  • Jamal

Thank you for the heads-up. :smile:
  • Christoffer

I think political threads need some extra eyes up until at least after the US election. You mods are pretty good at keeping this forum clean from the overwhelming BS found everywhere else online, but I think these months before the election may go extreme. A fusion of fake AI media, coupled with the downfall of X (Twitter), the bad algorithms of Meta, and an extreme escalation of polarization among even people outside of the regular extreme groups globally. With a world standing on the edge of a sword, internet is going to be flooded with extreme stuff and it would be important for a place like this to survive its level-headed discussions on all these complex situations.
  • Jamal

Yeh, it's good that we're invitation-only.
  • Michael
    Yeh, it's good that we're invitation-only.Jamal

Thanks, Marco.
  • flannel jesus
    sometimes "informal logical fallacies" can still be reasonable arguments
  • AmadeusD
    Hmm. Only in a situation where determining premises is difficult, I think.

Moving from shaky premises is acceptable (read: reasonable) when we can't be sure one way or the other. Like when there's, for instance, disputed facts, the subsequent argument tends to get back-engineered to determine the reasonability of hte premises. This is why lawyers can get a superbly well-founded rep. for massaging the facts.

But if you can show (as tends to be the case in cross-exam.) that the premises are unlikely enough to make the subsequent story inherently unlikely(eg. claiming one felt a certain level of threat that is implausible to support a self-defense argument), that story tends to be reject as unreasonable.
  • ssu
    Banned Steven P Clum for low quality culture war stuff and throwing around accusations when criticized.Jamal
    I personally am not happy when people are banned, but I think this was a correct thing to do. Low quality. And if this kind of forum is left without supervision, then it comes very quickly so hostile that those who enjoy the forum simply leave.
  • Jamal
    Banned @Vaskane for flaming (even after multiple warnings) and low quality.
  • Changeling
    everyone on here with a picture of themselves as their profile picture should be banned. (Forthwith)
  • unenlightened
    This is not me; it is merely a frog that resembles me somewhat.

Farewell, @Vaskane, alas all too neuro-typical in some rather reactive ways.
  • Lionino
    I remember that someone being banned does not result in their posts being purged. If someone is banned, they may request their data to be removed by email, I am guessing?
  • Paine
    He was kind of interesting until he became abusive. I get enough of that at work.
  • jgill
    A farewell to one of the few military veterans on the site, as if that means anything on a philosophy forum. But Wittgenstein was a military hero. Did that influence his writings?
  • Wayfarer
    See this. Originally published and endorsed by the UK Wittgenstein Society.
  • Baden

He also beat up the little girls and boys in his classes as a school teacher (even to the point of knocking one of them unconscious).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haidbauer_incident
  • Wayfarer
    Is that so? Sobering. Anyway, probably not the place for this discussion, I just had the urge to draw JGill's attention to that article. (Oh, and there's also the infamous incident where he allegedly threatened Karl Popper with a poker.)
  • Baden

I have a particular disgust for child beaters so I will never like Wittgenstein as a character (even though he may have reformed). Anyway, yes, not the place for this and we have already had the personal faults of Descartes and Heidegger (among others probably) dissected on the site.
  • Hanover
    we have already had the personal faults of Descartes and Heidegger (among others probably) dissected on the site.Baden

Ww dissected the fact he dissected dogs alive.
  • Wayfarer
    It turned out I was wrong about that. The actual story concerned students at some medical faculty who were convinced by Descartes' philosophy that animals don't feel pain, and flayed them alive, which then got mis-translated as something Descartes did. It wasn't Descartes himself, which I did note that at the time.
  • Baden

I prefer @Hanover's version.
  • Wayfarer
    Never let the truth get in the way of a good story, eh? And, on that note.....
  • Baden

I'm glad you clarified actually. One less evil philosopher to be concerned with.

And on that note...
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.