• Antinatalist
    Hello,

I´m interested philosophy in general, but especially about ethics.
  • Down The Rabbit Hole

Hi,

How did you discover antinatalism?
  • Antinatalist
    I was a teenager in early nineties. I thought about existence, being and non-being. Coming to life and
    exit from life (to non-existence). I thought lots life and non-life and in 1995 I wrote short text of the subject.
    I discover the term "antinatalism" in 2015.
  • T Clark
    Welcome. I recommend you look for the threads and posts from @schopenhauer1. He is a good source for arguments in favor of antinatalism.
  • Antinatalist
    Thank you for the recommendation. :)
  • john27
    Hi. My name's John27. I'm just some dude. I try to be the best I can be, even if sometimes its a lot harder than it seems. Thanks for having me.
  • Jamal
    Welcome John27, it's good to have you here.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Hi. My name's John27. I'm just some dude. I try to be the best I can be, even if sometimes its a lot harder than it seems. Thanks for having me.john27

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!
    Enjoy your ride and we are happy to have you :flower:
    Though this does feel a little dejavu like :razz:
  • john27
    Though this does feel a little dejavu like :razz:ArguingWAristotleTiff

I was trying to think of a witty remark to make about dejavu, but nothing came to mind.

Nevertheless, pleased to make your acquaintance. :party:
  • Caerulea-Lawrence
    Hello everyone,

as this seemed the correct place to introduce myself, here goes. I decided just to post my 'application' to become a member here - with some small edits.

Firstly a short introduction, then why I want to join the forum and then about my interests.

I'm in my mid-thirties, from Norway (the country) and in a long-term relationship. My formal experience with philosophy is from the mandatory course we go through in University, where I studied German language. I have also (almost) finished a bachelor in Social Work, which is more focused on the intersection between psychology, physical health and social problems.

Why I'd like to join is a bit similar to what Wayfarer writes in this post.
    https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/14024/meta-philosophy-types-and-orientations

My perspective on it would be to find others that want to harmonize not only different perspectives and insights, but also experiences, moral and everyday life as well. In that sense, my objective aligns with the concept of Intentional Community, but I am more focused on finding people that have a meta-vision with regards to their life, and have a longing for co-creating with others as well.

To go into this more would become very long, so I will try and shorten it to two outcomes I'd like.

1. I join this forum, and through thoughtful and honest interactions, sharing my perspectives and inner life, and interacting with the posts I find interesting, find someone that wants to co-create something similar to what me and my partner want.

2. The second outcome would be that I do not find someone, but have intelligent and caring interactions, which are also important to me. And I can take what I read and learn and choose to apply it to my goals and aspirations, and maybe something new comes out of it.

Hm, what I am interested in.. The way I understand myself I am not very attached to any 'interests'. Even though my personality lets me get interested quickly, self-understanding has shown me it all ties back to a much bigger jigsaw of meaning. So, meaning is the horse, and interest is the cart, so to actually answer, I would have to explain what is meaningful to me. So let me try.

Meaning is to create something 'satisfactory' at the highest complexity level I, together with others, am/are able to achieve. And meaning is to achieve higher integration between the different types of being, both internally and externally.

Something refers to abstract thoughts, as well as abstract goals, visions and feelings. Furthermore it refers to everyday life and living, relationships and health, including also the metaphysical as well as the practical.

Satisfactory means that which aligns the best with how well we are able to mesh things together with the different resources, life-situations and so forth we have available, and balancing that with our different limitations and weaknesses.

With regards to the site guidelines, I feel totally confident with regards to tone, and if I should miss something with regards to context matters, I will quickly fix it. With regards to English, it is my second language, and even though I believe I have a decent grasp on the language, it should be relatively apparent in these kinds of high-level conversations that I am a non-native speaker. I am good at form and structure, but not excellent. And to write this as well I used a simple spelling program to fix the glaringly obvious mistakes. But it is of course not a cure all.

Are there follow up questions as well, or is this application good enough to get a grasp of if I should be let loose on the innocent lambs in The philosophy forum or not?

I am actually grateful you have this sort of criterion, and it seems the forum has benefitted from it as well. I agree with the sentiment, even if it means I would not be accepted. *Big puppy eyes - Yes, I am a good person, please believe me* <-This worked btw, protip.

Thanks for having me, and you'll see me around answering some posts, to grow and get a feel for what is here. When I feel comfortable, I might start my own posts, but as of now I am more into just having a discourse with a set topic.

All the best,
    Caerulea-Lawrence
  • unenlightened

Hello, and welcome to our little community. Thank you for your fulsome introduction. I feel we might be friends, but I am old and bound for recycling in the near future, so my contribution to anyone's creation can only be very small. Never mind, you are young and can do more. Dive in, say some stuff, and see what happens!
  • T Clark

Welcome to the forum.

With regards to English, it is my second language, and even though I believe I have a decent grasp on the language, it should be relatively apparent in these kinds of high-level conversations that I am a non-native speaker.Caerulea-Lawrence

The only way we might be able to tell you aren't a native English speaker is that your vocabulary, grammar, spelling, and clarity are all better than 90% of the members.

Why I'd like to join is a bit similar to what Wayfarer writes in this post.
    https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/14024/meta-philosophy-types-and-orientations
    Caerulea-Lawrence

Yes, @Wayfarer is great, keeping in mind he is one of only seven pleasant people here on the forum. No, I am not one of those seven. This is what we in English call a "joke." Which isn't the same as saying it isn't true.

My perspective on it would be to find others that want to harmonize not only different perspectives and insights, but also experiences, moral and everyday life as well. In that sense, my objective aligns with the concept of Intentional Community, but I am more focused on finding people that have a meta-vision with regards to their life, and have a longing for co-creating with others as well.Caerulea-Lawrence

I see philosophy not as a subject, but as a practice, much like meditation. For me, the goal of that practice is to become more self-aware of how my intellect works. I'm especially interested in ontology and epistemology and I will try to force you to talk about them. The philosophers who mean the most to me are Lao Tzu, Emerson, and Collingwood.

I look forward to talking with you.
  • javi2541997
    Hello! Welcome to the forum. :up:
  • Wayfarer
    thanks for the very thoughtful introduction! I hope the community lives up to the rather exalted standards you have laid out, and welcome.

aww shucks :yikes:
  • jgill
    My perspective on it would be to find others that want to harmonize not only different perspectives and insights, but also experiences, moral and everyday life as well.Caerulea-Lawrence

Welcome aboard . It would be interesting if members would speak more about their life experiences as they argue philosophical points. Sometimes they do.
  • praxis
    Are there follow up questions as well, or is this application good enough to get a grasp of if I should be let loose on the innocent lambs in The philosophy forum or not?Caerulea-Lawrence

The application suggests that the forum should not be let loose on someone so hungry for meaning, actually. You will not find it here.
  • Caerulea-Lawrence
    The application suggests that the forum should not be let loose on someone so hungry for meaning, actually. You will not find it here.praxis

Thanks praxis. Obelix had it rough from the get-go, but even he managed to eat his fill in the unlikeliest of situations, so no worries, I'll fill my belly here as well.

Welcome aboard ↪Caerulea-Lawrence
    It would be interesting if members would speak more about their life experiences as they argue philosophical points. Sometimes they do.
    jgill

Hi jgill,
    I would like that. To me that is an essential source of knowledge and understanding, and a deep heart-to-heart/mind-to-mind can in many cases solve an issue lightning quick compared to lengthy discussions.

Still, with regards to this kind of openness, there still needs to be precision and accuracy for it to work, so I see parallels worthy of exploration as well.

↪Caerulea-Lawrence
    thanks for the very thoughtful introduction! I hope the community lives up to the rather exalted standards you have laid out, and welcome.
    Wayfarer

Thank you. Lets see how it goes, and whatever option prevails, I hope me and you all get something useful, knowledgable and heartwarming out of it.

↪Caerulea-Lawrence
    Hello! Welcome to the forum. :up:
    javi2541997

Thank you for the thumbs up.

The only way we might be able to tell you aren't a native English speaker is that your vocabulary, grammar, spelling, and clarity are all better than 90% of the members.T Clark

The downfall of the Commonwealth is nigh... Sad times Clark, sad times indeed.

Yes, Wayfarer is great, keeping in mind he is one of only seven pleasant people here on the forum. No, I am not one of those seven. This is what we in English call a "joke." Which isn't the same as saying it isn't true.T Clark

I see philosophy not as a subject, but as a practice, much like meditation. For me, the goal of that practice is to become more self-aware of how my intellect works. I'm especially interested in ontology and epistemology and I will try to force you to talk about them. The philosophers who mean the most to me are Lao Tzu, Emerson, and Collingwood.

I look forward to talking with you.
    T Clark

*Oh snap, I can't write this out loud:" I'm sorry Clark, I do not believe in the magic properties of "the holy THREE" or "The magical SEVEN". I was expecting a bit more from a philosophy forum... Even giving codenames to three of the four HORSEMEN, that is really not what I was expecting. So, Clark I AM NOT INTERESTED IN BEING CONVERTED TO THE ANGLICAN CHURCH, I AM SORRY!"*

Thank you Clark, you are such a cheesecake!! I would love to know more about your view on philosophy!!

PS: I warn you though, I'm a stubborn cat, so gotta feed me those good pieces first if you want my attention. If I'm happy you can pursue your goal of reviving the Commonwealth one member at a time. And just so you don't forget, the good pieces Yeah?.
    https://imgur.com/EO4BU

And this Clark, is good ol' trolling. Which isn't to say it isn't true, kappa. (I never knew my passive knowledge of that word would ever come to use, I am truly Grateful Clark. I feel like I have learned so much about ontology and epistemology already! You are the BEST!) :wink:

Hello, and welcome to our little community. Thank you for your fulsome introduction. I feel we might be friends, but I am old and bound for recycling in the near future, so my contribution to anyone's creation can only be very small. Never mind, you are young and can do more. Dive in, say some stuff, and see what happens!unenlightened

Thank you, I will do that. And I appreciate the recognition. Sure, let's see what happens indeed.
  • T Clark
    Which isn't to say it isn't true, kappa.Caerulea-Lawrence

I wasn't sure about this reference so I looked it up. Are you using "kappa" as a Japanese troll? You should know that @javi2541997 is our resident Japanophile. He will be excited.

Also - if you haven't found it yet, I suggest you take a look at The Shoutbox at the top of the first page. It's where we get to talk about anything we want. A lot of times that's food but sometimes it's politics, movies, or even philosophy if we're too lazy to start a full discussion. It's a good place to get to know people's personalities and idiosyncrasies.

Currently Reading is also a good place to look to see what philosophy and non-philosophy books and papers people are reading now.
  • Manuel

Welcome!

Hope you have fun here, it's a great place to deepen one's knowledge on many topics in the field.

Don't be afraid to express your opinions, because, ultimately all of us may be wrong. :cool:
  • Caerulea-Lawrence
    Thank you, I will have a look. :) Kappa is from japanese, but it is an expression from Twitch I believe, and in use in the westernly digital hemisphere For a better description, you can check it out on the Urban Dictionary. I assosciate it with people in their teens and early twenties.
  • T Clark
    I assosciate it with people in their teens and early twenties.Caerulea-Lawrence

YGID%20small.png

Alas, I am 50 years out from my early 20s.
  • javi2541997

Are you using "kappa" as a Japanese troll? You should know that javi2541997 is our resident Japanophile. He will be excited.T Clark

I am not going to lie: Kappa is a word that excites me. It is a troll from Japanese mythology, yes. But this is also used by Ryūnosuke Akutagawa in the title of one of his books. The story is about a mentally ill person who joins the world of Kappa and lives together. Akutagawa is considered one of the most relevant Japanese writers, and his second name is the label of a literature prize in Japan. Kenzaburo Oe won one of the contests.

Kappa means "child of river" because it is made of the kanjis: kawa (川), river; and tarō (太郎), child. Kappa is like the diminutive of the word.

:flower:
  • praxis
    Thanks praxis. Obelix had it rough from the get-go, but even he managed to eat his fill in the unlikeliest of situations, so no worries, I'll fill my belly here as well.Caerulea-Lawrence

There’s abundant food for the ego in places like this. Meaning, on the other hand, is found in purpose and losing oneself in places and peoples larger than oneself. But don’t take my word for it, you’ll see for yourself soon enough.
  • Caerulea-Lawrence
    There’s abundant food for the ego in places like this. Meaning, on the other hand, is found in purpose and losing oneself in places and peoples larger than oneself. But don’t take my word for it, you’ll see for yourself soon enough.praxis

Yes.

Welcome!

Hope you have fun here, it's a great place to deepen one's knowledge on many topics in the field.

Don't be afraid to express your opinions, because, ultimately all of us may be wrong. :cool:
    Manuel

Thank you, Manuel. I'll see what I can unearth as time goes by. I also have my own theories, but as of now I find it more helpful to practice rigorousness and to discernment. So no worries, I do not doubt myself or am afraid to express my opinion, I am however conscious about being truthful to my inner standards.

Alas, I am 50 years out from my early 20s.T Clark

;) Yes, statistically that would make a lot of sense then, that it isn't a word you are very familiar with. Moreover, there are a lot of similar expression I have no idea the meaning of either, so no worries.

I am not going to lie: Kappa is a word that excites me. It is a troll from Japanese mythology, yes. But this is also used by Ryūnosuke Akutagawa in the title of one of his books. The story is about a mentally ill person who joins the world of Kappa and lives together. Akutagawa is considered one of the most relevant Japanese writers, and his second name is the label of a literature prize in Japan. Kenzaburo Oe won one of the contests.

Kappa means "child of river" because it is made of the kanjis: kawa (川), river; and tarō (太郎), child. Kappa is like the diminutive of the word.
    javi2541997

Then it is only fair that Kappa gets some attention.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment