• T Clark
    Then it is only fair that Kappa gets some attention.Caerulea-Lawrence

See, I've already started using it.

What I don’t get is the hatred for sock puppets.
    — 0 thru 9

Yeah, me either. I'm actually a sock puppet for @Baden. As a moderator I don't want to overwhelm people with my wisdom, sophistication, and wit, so I created T Clark to represent my better self. [Edit] Kappa.
    T Clark
  • Leontiskos
    Hello, my name is Leontiskos, after the ancient Greek wrestler. It made a great deal of sense to me when I learned that wrestling and philosophy went hand in hand in Plato's Academy!

I am from the United States and am moderately conservative. I am a Christian of the Catholic/Orthodox variety. I most enjoy Aristotle and Plato. I also like Thomas Aquinas, especially because his concision is useful when space is limited. I studied philosophy as an undergraduate and have attempted to maintain the practice over the years.

'Glad to be here. It seems like a nice place with a strong community. Kudos to those who have sown the seeds to make it so. :smile:
  • RogueAI
    Welcome!

What do you think of Trump?
  • BC
    Thomas AquinasLeontiskos

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum, the leading philosophy web site available in Fly Over Land.

I heard that Tom thought that everything he had written was 'straw'. That was probably after a Dominican cook accidentally slipped some LSD into his soup.
  • Jamal
    I am from the United States and am moderately conservative. I am a Christian of the Catholic/Orthodox variety.Leontiskos

Hey, you didn’t tell me that when you were asking for an invitation! :angry:

Only kidding. Welcome aboard.
  • Tom Storm
    I am a Christian of the Catholic/Orthodox variety.Leontiskos

Welcome. What does this mean? My understand of Greek orthodox Christianity is it considers the Catholic Church to be anathema. Or did you mean an orthodox Catholic?
  • Leontiskos
    I had to make it through the door first! :sweat:

I don't really know what it means either. I suppose it means that I am a contradiction. :naughty: More specifically, I am torn between the two.
  • Tom Storm
    Ok. Maybe this place will help you think through this. I can't help you, I am an atheist. :wink:
  • Leontiskos
    Okay, so this is my first learning moment. BC quoted me without mentioning me, and I did not receive a notification. This presumably means that quotes do not trigger notifications, and that I should mention people whenever I quote them?

---

I heard that Tom thought that everything he had written was 'straw'. That was probably after a Dominican cook accidentally slipped some LSD into his soup.BC

That he did, and that could be! He passed away soon thereafter.

---

I am hoping he forsakes his political aspirations.
  • BC
    Okay, so this is my first learning moment. BC quoted me without mentioning me, and I did not receive a notification. This presumably means that quotes do not trigger notifications, and that I should mention people whenever I quote them?Leontiskos

Mentioning somebody with the format @name (@ " name " -- but with no spaces)
    replying to somebody with the little left-pointing arrow, and quoting someone (using a highlight and then clicking on the "QUOTE" should all trigger a notification.

Not getting notifications? It might be that your membership activity is still too low (I don't know, just guessing or it might be that something is wrong with the software at PlushForums (more guessing). IF you don't get notifications PDQ, contact a moderator or Jamal.
  • Leontiskos
    Thanks! It is working fine now. I probably made a reading mistake when I received a barrage of notifications.
  • Wayfarer
    Welcome Leontiskos. I too am interested in the Platonist tradition and Christian philosophy. I'm inclined towards idealism with an interest in the classical traditions of philosophy. By the way, don't overlook the Help articles which provide useful tips and pointers to use of the Forum software.
  • Leontiskos
    Perhaps! But I don't delve into religion too often on philosophy forums. I only gave my religious leanings so that others may better understand what sort of animal they are dealing with. :smile:

---

Very good. Christianity seems to be one of the primary inheritors of the Platonist tradition. And thanks, I will give those articles a read.
  • Tom Storm
    I only gave my religious leanings so that others may better understand what sort of animal they are dealing with. :smile:Leontiskos

Probably for somewhere else on this site but I don't think a person's religious leanings help us understand anything about them. For the simple problem that no two people (even within a single faith) seem to beleive in the same kind of god or hold the same account of religion and morality. When someone says they are a Christian, for instance, they might be misogynist, homophobes, or inclusive flag waivers for LGBTQ rights.
  • Leontiskos
    Probably for somewhere else on this site but I don't think a person's religious leanings help us understand anything about them.Tom Storm

Whereas I would say that insofar as one understands a religion one will be capable of understanding many things about adherents of that religion, and that this holds for groups generally. But yes - for somewhere else!
  • unenlightened
    It belongs to some random guy who runs it for his own entertainment and sponges off his friends to pay for it. Probably not for you, if you need official seals of legitimacy.
  • unenlightened
    I have flagged your post so a moderator will notice it, and hopefully sort you out.
  • Jamal
    User deleted. :up:
  • Dermot Griffin
    Being a member of this forum for 3 years, I think I should outline what I am philosophically interested in. I mainly concern myself with theology and the philosophy of religion being influenced primarily by Kierkegaard, Bonhoeffer, Russian religious thought (Nikolai Berdyaev, Alexander Men, Vladimir Lossky), and the Greek Fathers (I also enjoy Buber's "philosophy of dialogue" as well and the work of Giovanni Pico who used Jewish mystical work to develop an argument for Christianity).

Moral philosophy too, is a primary concern of mine, coming from a virtue ethics background; Lublin Thomism (specifically its focus on personalism), Greek thought (Platonism, Aristotelianism, Stoicism), Confucianism (sometimes I think of myself as a "Western" Confucian), and Daoism all contribute to my views on ethics and religion as well. I also enjoy seeing the interplay between the religious and ethical spheres, being an avid reader of the Kyoto School (Nishida, Tanabe, Nishitani), that seeks to understand the similarities between western and eastern traditions.

History of ideas also interest me; Specifically the Reformation, Renaissance, Enlightenment, Romanticism, and nihilism.
  • flannel jesus
    mainly concern myself with theology and the philosophy of religion being influenced primarily by Kierkegaard, Bonhoeffer, Russian religious thought (Nikolai Berdyaev, Alexander Men, Vladimir Lossky), and the Greek Fathers (I also enjoy Buber's "philosophy of dialogue" as well and the work of Giovanni Pico who used Jewish mystical work to develop an argument for Christianity).Dermot Griffin

Fascinating. Could you give a short "blurb", 3 sentences or so, of the most important ideas in this sphere of thought to you? Concepts, normative rules you've derived, etc - whatever you think is most central and most important to you.
  • Dermot Griffin

Mainly Kierkegaard's idea of the three stages of life that human beings go through (the aesthetic life, the ethical life, the religious life), Bonhoeffer's theology of "costly grace" as outlined in his magnum opus The Cost of Discipleship, and the Russian thinkers attempt to argue that Orthodox Christianity is something original and not artificial. I also must add that I think the traditions of Asia, namely Confucianism, Buddhism and Daoism, provide something complementary for the western social and religious consciousness.
  • Bella fekete
    I am Deaki, been think much of AI and how it is a natural reaction to lost memory as connected to a very lost weekend. Although Kerouac says “I accept lostness forever’ and also was said (sad?) to say that we ARE living in Golden Eternity but do not , or can not know it singularly, until said prophetic singularity, where that may be singularly OR interpreted otherwise.
  • JuanZu
    Hello everyone, my name is JuanZu.

I am a lover of philosophy, I have some academic studies in philosophy but incomplete.

My interests mainly cover metaphysics, ontology and epistemology.

You can say that I am materialist. But I have adopted materialism from the Platonic symploke. That is, a materialism that respects the irreducibility of what exists through categories. Materialism of "parts extra parts." I am not a materialist of the physicalist type. I have adopted a Materialism without substance, which can be presented through the types of structures that exist in the world. My interest is to discover how otherness and difference (materialism) occurs in the most intimate part of identity and being.

My main references:

Plato
    Immanuel Kant
    Edmund Husserl
    Gustavo Bueno
    G.W Hegel
    Martin Heidegger
    Quentin Meillassoux
    Jacques Derrida

Yes, I am an apprentice of the continental tradition. And it is very interesting for me to compare perspectives with the Analytical and English-speaking tradition. I hope to live up to it and contribute good things to the forum.

Greetings.
  • javi2541997
    I hope to live up to it and contribute good things to the forum.JuanZu

I'm sure you will. Welcome to TPF, mate.
  • Leontiskos
    Welcome, . :smile:
  • AmadeusD
    Totally missed this thread!

A lot of you already know me and my ankle-biting ways because of that, so apologies.

My name is Amadeus Diamond
    I'm Irish; living in New Zealand
    33; married; 2 kids (blended family)
    Legal professional full time; back in school (conjoint LLB (law) and BA in Philosophy undergrad).

Most intensely interested in the question of personal identity over time both "whether" and "if it matters".
    More minor (but still, very much preoccupying) interest in both trying to justify my feeling that morals can be objective, while conceding i have never seen a good argument for it; and understanding why so many philosophers appear totally detached from the real world, while trying to avoid that myself.

Outside of philosophy and law i practice brazillian jiu jitsu competitively and play many instruments.

Looking to make some type of philosophy friends too; hence extraneous information above.

Glad to be here!
  • javi2541997
    Legal professional full timeAmadeusD

Another legal professional mate around here! Nice to meet you, Amadeus. New Zealand seems to be an interesting place to live.
  • Wayfarer
    Greetings, JuanZu, and thanks for the intro.

And to you also :pray:
  • Ciceronianus
    Legal professional full time; back in school (conjoint LLB (law) and BA in Philosophy undergrad).AmadeusD

You poor fellow. Exactly my background.
  • Lionino
    ↪Leontiskos Welcome!

What do you think of Trump?
    RogueAI

What do you think of Jeffrey Epstein.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist