• Jamal
    Not sure what you mean about the menu bar. And as for having to scroll up, are you talking about in discussion threads? Isn't it inevitable that you have to scroll to read certain messages? There are two features that help with this: you get a notification if anyone quotes, replies or mentions you, and that links directly to the post; and the names in replies and quotes link back to the posts too.

Do you mean the fact that when you enter a discussion you've been in before, it takes you to the last post you read (which is sometimes the end)?
  • Thorongil
    I was in useful hints and tips when I read about the menu bar. I'm saying that in the old PF, replying to someone took you to a separate page with just the post you wanted to quote from. Here, there is no such page. If the post you want to quote from is at the top of the page in the thread, then you have to scroll all the way up to do so.

I guess I'm asking is if there is a way to swiftly ping pong back and forth between the post you want to quote from and the one you're writing at the bottom of the page.
  • Jamal
    In the old PF you also have to scroll to find the post you want to quote, and then you would click "Quote" and it would take you to the reply page. Here, you find the post and quote it by selecting text, the difference being that this doesn't load a seperate page.

I guess I'm asking is if there is a way to swiftly ping pong back and forth between the post you want to quote from and the one you're writing at the bottom of the page.Thorongil

To ping pong up and down--I've just been trying it--you can hit "Preview" and click on the name in the quote link or reply link and that will take you up to the post. To go back down to the post you're composing, click on the menu bar blue background--ah, now I see what you mean, it's the blue strip at the top where the navigation is. Or quoting something else will also take you back down.

When you're at the bottom, clicking on the menu bar takes you straight to the top, but when you're further up doing the same thing takes you to the bottom.

So...click "preview" --> click on name link of who you've quoted or are replying to --> quote or reply or click on the menu bar to take you back down.

Make sense?
  • Thorongil
    I think so. I'll try it here.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    I realize I might be a little late to the party but I just figured out who Michael is! (L) :D
  • xzJoel
    Late to the party and I'm not staying long, but howdy hey. I'll try really hard to check in every now and again.
  • Jamal
    Welcome :)
  • Michael
    If you only just found out then why haven't you spent every minute of your time here asking where I was? ;)
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    I was searching high and low for you in the club! I saw someone on these boards refer to you, Yahadreas, but then I went to the member list and there was no such name!
    ~smiles~ Michael, I am really glad you are here! 8-)
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Joel! I am really glad you made it here. It wouldn't be the same without you! (L)
  • Benkei
    @ArguingWAristotleTiff

I was actually hoping for something different...
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    TPF already is something different, something BETTER, with you back on the boards! 8-)
  • Benkei
    TPF already is something different, something BETTER, with you back on the boards! 8-)ArguingWAristotleTiff

Thanks. We'll see how long that lasts. Busy life nowadays. O:)
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    8-) Take a look around you for these are the 'good' times~
  • xzJoel
    You aren't allowed to have a busy life. Resolving the problems in political philosophy simply cannot wait.
  • xzJoel
    Thanks, Tiff. Nothing like smiles and hugs to make someplace new feel like it will be a new home (even if an infrequent one). Did @Banno follow you over?
  • xzJoel
    Hey Hanover, thanks for thinking of me.
  • S
    The old goat has turned up, but he hasn't said much. Shame. I'd have thought this month's reading group would be right up his street.
  • Jamal
    Is that because he's a well-known masochist. ;)
  • xzJoel
    When I searched his posts on PF, it didn't seem like he was doing much posting over there either.
  • S
    Who does he think he is? As if he were entitled to a life outside of a philosophy forum!
  • andrewk
    Hello everybody. I decided to join here so as to keep in contact with the people whose posts I have enjoyed over the years who no longer post on PF.

I've not been doing much philosophy posting in recent months, as my spare time is mostly taken with trying to learn more physics and playing around with data analysis in R to help my partner with a medical statistics project. But I do enjoy reading the interesting and provocative thoughts of others and I miss the stimulating posts of those who are no longer at PF. So I'm looking forward to reading some of those on here.

best wishes

Andrew
  • Baden
    Welcome, Andrew. 8-)
  • Wayfarer
    The new ownership at PF did announce themselves a couple of weeks back, and I am prepared to try and give them the benefit of the doubt, but the place has gone downhill. I think it is the sudden absence of a lot of regular posters. I keep telling myself I ought to just stop posting, but I guess it has become part of my daily routine, so it's not likely that I will stop. Anyway I had registered here and have started posting here so I'll see what happens.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    I just wanted to say that I invited a friend from Istanbul, Turkey and she is a sweetheart living in a very unsteady part of the world. If she does sign up, know that she can surely hold her own but I have asked her to share about what is happening, not so much as Philosophy as a discipline.
    I always find it best to handle friends with both hands~ (L)
  • Mayor of Simpleton
    I just wanted to say that I invited a friend from Istanbul, Turkey and she is a sweetheart living in a very unsteady part of the worldArguingWAristotleTiff

Funny... I leave from Vienna, Austria in 4 weeks to go to the USA via Washington DC, what I would describe as a 'very unsteady part of the world'. :-O

Meow!

GREG
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    You have already met my friend. 8-)
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Personally I am glad you are coming to the States. :) I will hold your travels safely within my wings~ O:)
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment