• Wayfarer
    Hey I've decided not to post here. Great people and all but there's a limit to how many forums one can contribute to, especially considering that honoured spouse thinks the whole thing is a waste of time anyway. All the best, I will still be at PF and also dharmawheel for anyone with Buddhist interests. So long.
  • JJJJS
    Hey I've decided to post here. So... here's a post. So short.
  • bert1
    that honoured spouse thinks the whole thing is a waste of timeWayfarer

It's us or her, Wayfarer. I'm not having this half-arsed commitment to philosophy, whichever forum it's on.
  • S
    Hey I've decided to post here. So... here's a post. So short.JJJJS

Glad you decided to do so. Hopefully you'll post some more as well.

It's us or her, Wayfarer. I'm not having this half-arsed commitment to philosophy, whichever forum it's on.bert1

:D
  • Wayfarer
    She says I'm 'playing with my invisible friends'. I demur that debating philosophy is much less pernicious than almost anything else that people get up to on the Internet. That excuse doesn't seem to cut it, though.
  • Wayfarer
    And I really do 'like' a lot of the people here - the scare quotes are because I really don't know any of you - but I have to rein in my activities.
  • Jamal
    I knew you'd be back!
  • Wayfarer
    D'oh... why can't we all just go back to like it used to be?
  • bert1
    Are you pining for Mars Man?
  • Sir2u
    Are you pining for Mars Man?bert1

It would be nice to see him around.
  • Wayfarer
    I don't know if mars man is still on earth, actually. His very last activity, which was a long time ago, was 'going to hospital for tests'.

No, I'm being tormented by another scientistic troll who is convinced that the Wave Function is physically real and explains everything. Serves me right for posting there, I think I'll retreat to Dharma Wheel for a while.
  • bert1
    Indeed, I was wondering if Mars Man had made the long journey home to the red planet. Although I found him infuriating he did have some redeeming qualities, and sometimes made some good points among the sea of incomprehensible verbosity. He made some good one-liners. One of his funniest ones was aimed at you, accusing you of "Romping through the pastures of ignorance" or something like that.
  • Wayfarer
    May he be well, wherever he is.
  • Wayfarer
    actually I hereby officially rescind my notice of not posting here any more.

• ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Last I spoke with Mars Man he had already had one surgery that left him with no sense of smell, therefore no real sense of taste, which made an already painful activity such as eating, even less of a desire to do. I believe he was going to have one more surgery but something had postponed it.
    I too wish him well in both spirit and in body, where ever he is ~ Though my feeling is he is still on this earth with us~ (L)
  • _db
    Wayfarer, I am interested in the Buddhist forum. Is this it?
  • shmik
    I have a friend with no sense of smell but she can taste everything fine.
  • Wayfarer
    Yes that is it. Actually I have stopped posting there for the time being, but I encourage anyone here to visit, it's a very good quality forum.
  • Nickolasgaspar
    Sorry but I didn't find an other link to contact you, so I chose this opening statement of yours.
    I have to comment you for the free nature of this platform (and I don't mean ad free or free to use). I come from other philosophical forums where admins enforce jaw-dropping policies and forget that they live in a democratic society where people are allowed to have personal opinions, support them with complementary material, as long as they are respectful.
    I am also happy to see the link for a "Learning center" and embracing the relation between Knowledge and Philosophy.
  • Jamal
    Welcome :smile:

However, we do have guidelines and we do sometimes moderate comments and members according to what they say, not only how they say it. The forum is not a microcosm of society, and has its own particular rules. For more information, see the guidelines:

https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/480/site-guidelines
  • Nickolasgaspar

Sure and I can see the value of that since we are human beings with all our flaws, temper and biases. I find useful any set of rules designed to limit certain behavior and sophistries but not rules designed i.e. to intentionally separate philosophical positions from verified epistemology, so that any idea can be presented as if it shares the same philosophical value.
    I really thank you for providing the "guidelines" link, something that I was looking for.
  • Nickolasgaspar

I will stop bothering you by saying this last thing. I just finished reading the guidelines and I find them more than reasonable! I understand that theory and application may vary and there are "real-life" difficulties, but a quick eye drop in threads of personal interest gave me the impression that everything appears to be healthy...on the surface at least :up:
  • Jamal
    :cool: :cool:

on the surface at leastNickolasgaspar

:zip:
  • Ying
    So. The old forum is completely gone by now, as far as I can tell. But! There still are some pages saved on the Wayback Machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/20210901000000*/www.philosophyforums.com

It certainly isn't an indepth archive (just a few snapshots here and there), but looking at the old forum, seeing names I've not seen in ages on my screen again makes me feel things. Posting it here in case someone missed this and is feeling nostalgic or something. :smile:
  • Jamal
    Good times
  • Wayfarer
    place is going downhill fast at the moment.
  • Jamal
    To all: don't forget to flag low quality posts and discussions, or let us know about problem members by private message (PM).
  • Amity
    place is going downhill fast at the moment.Wayfarer

That's easy to say @Wayfarer - can you point to a particular problem?
    It's not easy to fix if only a general complaint.

To all: don't forget to flag low quality posts and discussions, or let us know about problem members by private message (PM).jamalrob

Have done.
    Unfortunately, some see flagging/reporting as being something they wouldn't do.
    They prefer to tackle the problem by themselves and not be some kind of a tell-tale.
    That's fine and can work if the poster is open to reason and any exchange is informative; some even change their minds or attitude.
    Not so in the case of an absolutist and trolling trouble-maker.

Unfortunately, when posts are flagged there is no space to give a reason.
    Even if followed up by a PM, any 'low-quality' or offensive posts are simply deleted or edited.
    This means that there is nothing to point to as evidence for any newcomers...or those unaware.
    The person has a clean slate and looks reasonable when nothing could be further from the truth.

I appreciate that it is never easy for the mods and I wish them all the best.
    Thanks for all that you have done with quick responses when contacted :sparkle:
  • L'éléphant
    place is going downhill fast at the moment.Wayfarer
    I don't flag shit here. My posts could very well be flag-worthy. I think the most effective way to show your disapproval is to say it in the thread and explain why the post is bad.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment