• javi2541997
    I once was aggressively called "Guiri" by a drunken Spanishman. Ironically, he was the one who was being uncouth; I was a perfect gentleman.Jamal

I obviously trust that you were behaving genuinely, Jamal.

When we are drunk, we tend to be dangerous and disruptive... the consequences of having such a big percentage of 'enthusiasm' in our DNA. Like Italians and Balkans folks.
  • javi2541997
    Wait... Am I the only one who thinks this topic is sneakily becoming The Shoutbox 2.0?
  • kazan
    No. Parallel "thinking" is happening elsewhere about the topic.
    Nothing unusual....?
    smile
  • Manuel
    Ooo a Discord server, nice! Will join later today. The other philosophy servers on Discord aren't bad per se, but the topics I've seen covered are quite limited.

A TPF one would probably suite me. Good plan B.
  • Amity
    The site has been down for a while today and I don’t know if we’re safe and sound yet. It got me thinking we should have somewhere online to gather if that happens again.Jamal

@Jamal It seems that the Philosophy Now forum is having similar problems. There is a suggestion that Rick Lewis might end the forum >>> Panic amongst the members! A thread's been started to find a new home. TPF has been briefly considered:

So, what are some good alternative sites?

"The Philosophy Forum" evidently only accepts "invited" new members.

And "Online Philosophy Club," which is presided over by "Eckhart Aurelius Hughes" (formerly known as "Scott" :D ), is absolutely flooded with advertisement banners (even between posts).

I'm still waiting for some alternative suggestions that will be better than ILP.
    Philosophy Now Forum

That made me wonder about the criteria for being accepted? I didn't have to go through that process and can't find information on 'how to join'...
    You should make 'em pay! :wink:

Just like to add thanks for being a considerate and communicative owner. Thinking ahead...
  • Jamal
    That made me wonder about the criteria for being accepted? I didn't have to go through that process and can't find information on 'how to join'...Amity

The following message, visible if you're not logged in, is pinned to the top under the title Joining The Philosophy Forum:

The Philosophy Forum is now invitation-only, but anyone who wants to take part in philosophical discussions and who can follow the site guidelines is very welcome to join.

If you'd like us to send you an invitation, send an email to telling us something about yourself, why you'd like to join, and what you're interested in.

Those emails go to me, and if they exhibit a genuine interest in philosophy and an ability to write reasonably well in English, I usually send an invitation.
  • Amity
    Thanks, I don't know how I missed it!
  • Jamal

:up:

If you're anything like me you never log out, in which case you'll never see it.
  • Wayfarer
    I don't much like Discord. I tried to accept the invite but then it or me got confused because I have an already existing Discord account under a different email to the one I use for philosophyforum. I was hoping in case of a crash I could make contact via the PF Facebook page.
123Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.