• frank
    How likely do you think it is that Nikki Haley will be the first female president of the US?
  • frank

Really? Why do you say that?
  • 180 Proof
    MAGAs won't give her the nomination. Most GOP donors don't back her candidacy.
  • Wayfarer
    Somewhere between 'zero' and 'Buckleys' would be my estimate.

A rally kicking off former South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley’s 2024 presidential campaign opened Wednesday with an invocation from a Christian pastor – a practice not unusual for a GOP political event.

What was notable, however, was Haley’s choice of pastor: John Hagee, a high-profile televangelist and founder of a Christian Zionist group, and a political activist who has made headlines for a number of controversial remarks, including those considered anti-Semitic and anti-Catholic. ....

“To Pastor Hagee, I still say I want to be you when I grow up,” Haley said.

She has a much better shot at that than the Presidency.
  • frank
    MAGAs won't give her the nomination. Most GOP donors don't back her candidacy.180 Proof

Oh. I didn't realize that. Who are they backing?
  • 180 Proof
    AFAIK, so far only DeSantis & Individual-1 (less and less) ... they're also looking for anyone who the MAGA mouth-breathers will support. Like Pence (who's delusional), Haley ain't one of them.
  • Agent Smith
    So, we're electing leaders based on sex/gender now? Barack Obama wasn't given accommodation in the White House because he was black, he was for the simple reason that he had or seemed to have a good plan as regards how to run the country. Obama just happened to be black. :smile: Hopefully, if Nikki Haley becomes POTUS, she too just happens to be a woman.
  • 180 Proof
    Obama was the less bad option in both elections. IMO, his being black helped get him elected in 2008.
  • Agent Smith
    Obama was the less bad option in both elections. IMO, his being black helped in 2008.180 Proof

Then America is doomed! A leader is chosen for leadership qualities and there's no correlation between the color of one's skin, gender too for that matter, and how well you can manage a country's affairs. :smile:
  • Agent Smith
    I would vote for you if you stood in the elections, but not because you're black.
  • jgill
    Haley will be Trump's running mate. I know. Sad times for moderate Republicans. :sad:
  • javi2541997
    So, we're electing leaders based on sex/gender now?Agent Smith

Seemingly, the masses go to vote just for trivial aspects rather than asking to the politicians more effectiveness. We live in a period of time where it is more important for a politician to have a good spotlight than a great rethoric.
  • Agent Smith
    Seemingly, the masses go to vote just for trivial aspects rather than asking to the politicians more effectiveness. We live in a period of time where it is more important for a politician to have a good spotlight than a great rethoric.javi2541997

Précisément!
  • Tom Storm
    Seemingly, the masses go to vote just for trivial aspects rather than asking to the politicians more effectiveness. We live in a period of time where it is more important for a politician to have a good spotlight than a great rethoric.javi2541997

I've generally never seen it much different than this, it's just that each generation's trivialities seem more grotesque that the last.

AFAIK, so far only De Santis & Individual-1 (less and less) ... they're also looking for anyone who the MAGA mouth-breathers will support. Like Pence (who's delusional), Haley ain't one of them.180 Proof

I'm not across this issue - living elsewhere - but this seems on the money. Trump still has a hold of a significant chunk of the GOP. Do you think De Santis will be a bigger problem than Trump - being more disciplined and focused?
  • javi2541997
    I've generally never seen it much different than this, it's just that each generation's trivialities seem more grotesque that the last.Tom Storm

We can argue that is our fault and probably one of the most sensible decisions could be not go to vote at all...
  • 180 Proof
    :up:

In the WH, yes; but I don't think DeSantis will get that far precisely because his reactionary populist – fascistic, racist, mysogynist, public health-denying – policies in Florida amply demonstrate how much scarier he'd be than Individual-1.

I suspect Biden will announce in the fall that he's not running in 2024. Kamala Harris is already DOA (and good riddens). Watch California governor Gavin Newsom for President (with Michigan governor Gretchen Whitmer for VP). Now that's a MAGA-killing ticket! Not nearly as far left as I'd like or this country needs but consistently more firmly progressive than Biden-Harris (or Obama-Biden or Clinton-Gore).
  • Wayfarer
    Watch California governor Gavin Newsom for President (with Michigan governor Gretchen Whitmer for VP).180 Proof

Intriguing thought. I could easily get on board with that (from the bleachers, not that I’m a voter.)
  • Tom Storm
    :up: Fascinating stuff.
  • frank

But Ann Coulter is an idiot. I think Haley will appeal to swing voters because she seems to have a moral center. DeSantis comes across as a slug after what he did with shipping immigrants all over the place.
  • EricH
    But Ann Coulter is an idiot.frank
    Yup, but she reflects what a significant number of MAGA folks think
    Haley will appeal to swing voters because she seems to have a moral center.frank
    That may be so, but apart from Romney and a few isolated others the Republican Party has no moral center. I could be wrong (happens on a regular basis) but I don't see any scenario in which Haley can win in the primaries.
  • Maw
    How likely do you think it is that Nikki Haley will be the first female president of the USfrank

0%
  • Baden
    @frank I'm not sure Nikki Haley merits her own thread. Can we just rename it "Election 2024" or something and put all that in here?
  • unenlightened
    Can we just rename it "Election 2024"Baden

Or "US Election 2024" in case another democracy comes into being in the solar system somewhere.
  • frank
    I could be wrong (happens on a regular basis) but I don't see any scenario in which Haley can win in the primaries.EricH

Famous last words, though. If you're thinking that just because of racism, I think you might be mistaken. I don't think the average Republican is racist.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.