• 180 Proof
    Watch California governor Gavin Newsom for President (with Michigan governor Gretchen Whitmer for VP). Now that's a MAGA-killing ticket!180 Proof
    Whitmer for President with running-mate Newsom for Veep works just as well for me too – maybe even better!
  • frank

The first female president will be a Republican. People can't handle liberal and female at the same time. Think Margaret Thatcher.
  • Hanover
    The question isn't who will win the 2024 election, but who will win the 2020 election once they finally actually count the ballots.

A joke guys. Just a joke.
  • Maw
    My fairly incautious guess, at this point, is that DeSantis beats Trump in the primary, the latter forms his own independent party sabotaging the Republican vote in the general and Biden cruises into another four terms.
  • frank

Makes sense.
  • 180 Proof
    Good chance of that.

Maybe a Republican woman President, before Sarah Palin helped sink McCain's candidacy, had a good chance but in this post-Tea Party & MAGA-insurrectionist era I expect it will be two or three more Presidential elections before "Republican primary voters" throw up a nominee – man or woman – who will have an even chance to win enough of Independents and former-GOP voters to get back into the WH. My guess is that the fallout from Individual-1 & co's indictments, convictions and consequent civil unrest / political terrorism will have catastrophic electoral consequences for the GOP that will last for at least a generation.
  • Benkei
    I think you're too sane to accurately predict what stupidity voters are capable of.
  • 180 Proof
    Well, my track record is pretty good. I predicted HRC would find a way to throw the 2016 election, that Individual-1 would be impeached by the end of 2019 (because of Mueller's Report, I thought, which I was wrong about), in the summer of 2019 that Individual-1 would lose reelection in 2020 and that there would be no "red tsumani" in 2022. I'm on a roll, Benkei. :wink:
  • frank
    I expect it will be two or three more Presidential elections before "Republican primary voters" throw up a nominee – man or woman – who will have an even chance to win enough of Independents and former-GOP voters to get back into the WH.180 Proof

I think it just depends on who looks the best on tv. The reason I'm keeping my eye on Haley is that she managed to be elected governor of SC, but at the same time doesn't show up as a complete sycophant or psycho.

I'll admit that it's also because DeSantis makes my stomach turn, he's such a slug, and Biden definitely looks weak.
  • frank
    Godzilla vs King Kong

How did that movie end?
  • Count Timothy von Icarus

and Biden cruises into another four terms.

Four terms? Imagine, he'd be a spry 98 years old at the end of it, our own Mugabe.

More seriously, I don't even think he should run for one more term. Age isn't just a number, and he'll be 82 before his second inauguration. The Democrats have plenty of good candidates to run and I can certainly see it benefiting them to put a new face out there given prevailing economic conditions.

Trump will probably win the GOP primary. Desantis is polling well for the same reason almost every Republican in the huge field in 2016 polled well for short periods. He isn't Trump and people don't know much about him. Trump has already opened up a 14 point lead on him and we haven't even seen Desantis embarrass himself by explaining why he is running against Trump even though he claims to believe Trump won the last election in a landslide.

But Trump-lite doesn't bring the out the enthusiasm like the Orange Augustus himself. The "hail Trump, hail our people, hail victory," crowd isn't going to go for anyone else. Like, are they going to vote for Mike Pence? They were chanting about hanging him in 2021. Plus, it looks like the GOP establishment will sabotage themselves by having too many candidates to split votes between again. MTG will quite likely be the VP.

The more frightening thing is that I can totally see Trump beating Biden, probably while losing the popular vote by 9-10 million votes this time, and his platform of revenge policies, for example, making almost the entire federal civil service political appointees, would be disastrous.

Plus, what a cruel irony it would be to see the first female President and for it to be MTG. That is the type of irony fate seems to like delivering lately.
  • ssu
    My fairly incautious guess, at this point, is that DeSantis beats Trump in the primary, the latter forms his own independent party sabotaging the Republican vote in the general and Biden cruises into another four terms.Maw
    Trump not getting the candidacy of the GOP and then going third party and making sure that the Dems win would be a very likely, logical way how things would unfold. I agree that this is a genuine possibility.

Let's see in 2024 if you are a fortuneteller, @Maw.

(Page 2 of this thread is allways easy to find, even when it's running in over hundred pages).

Of course, he needs to stay out of prison until November 2024 to do that, which could prove difficult.
  • ssu
    Ah! Wishful thinking. Or should I say that you have an optimist view of the US justice system? Well, belief in the system keeps it up, as they say.

This might happen if the Republican populace simply grows tired of the Donald. And that can happen. Otherwise, imagine the life of the judge afterwards who puts Donald Trump into jail.

Perhaps Donald can have a ghostwriter then writing his "My Battles" book while in prison!
  • BC
    Obama just happened to be black.Agent Smith

See George Carlin on "He happened to be."
  • BC
    Elections have consequences, at least to some extent. As it happens, Twiddledee and Twiddledum will have slightly different policies, and there might even be differences that "make a difference". On the other hand, T'dee and T'dum generally have the same large policy objectives -- maintaining the capitalist order, maintaining the two-party system (Demican / Repocrat), maintaining the highly uneven distribution of wealth, maintaining military strength, and so on.

The election is roughly 17 months away; Nikky Haley and others ??? may be irrelevant way before then.

I find it difficult to get aroused about 2024. I expect the process and result to leave me underwhelmed, very disappointed, deeply chagrined, highly annoyed, and more!

It isn't just that the existing political process will fail to solve our significant -- even existential -- problems. It IS the case that the existing political process CAN NOT solve our problems.
  • BC
    I agree that Biden is too old to run again. Granted, there are very lucid 95 year olds, but they aren't under the pressures of POTUS.
  • frank
    It isn't just that the existing political process will fail to solve our significant -- even existential -- problems. It IS the case that the existing political process CAN NOT solve our problems.BC

We still have to have a president, though. If we have no head of government, somebody will invade.
  • boagie
    How many Americans believe the elections are street theatre for the public, that it really doesn't matter which party wins. That there is a psychopathic power elite that believes democracy is a joke.
  • BC
    If we have no head of government, somebody will invadefrank

Yes, because The Prez stands at the Gates of America very much like Gandalf stood before the Gates of Minas Tirith, and by his power turned away the servant of Sauron. EVEN Donald Trump was able to thwart invasions from the Bahamas and bird-like aliens from a distant star system, just by standing resolutely in front of the the urinal in the oval room powder room.

Iceland is waiting for a lapse in our powerful presidency, as is Lichtenstein, Morocco, and Sri Lanka.

Can the POTUS by force of his high office turn back ICBMs? Apparently -- otherwise the Soviet Union would have long since buried us, as Nikita Khrushchev foretold. Unfortunately, coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) was able to slip past the Great Guardian and Guarantor of Freedom.
  • invicta
    I think some level of leadership is required…the current president has a good hairstyle but trumps only needs to change his barber and hmm

Well now it appears law enforcement is prepping for an indictment announcement next week. This is a New York indictment, but a Georgia one also seems quite likely.

Maybe he can stretch it out long enough to win and we'll have the crisis of a President with multiple state warrants out for his arrest in felony charges.
  • frank
    Yes, because The Prez stands at the Gates of America very much like Gandalf stood before the Gates of Minas Tirith, and by his power turned away the servant of Sauron. EVEN Donald Trump was able to thwart invasions from the Bahamas and bird-like aliens from a distant star system, just by standing resolutely in front of the the urinal in the oval room powder room.

Iceland is waiting for a lapse in our powerful presidency, as is Lichtenstein, Morocco, and Sri Lanka.

Can the POTUS by force of his high office turn back ICBMs? Apparently -- otherwise the Soviet Union would have long since buried us, as Nikita Khrushchev foretold. Unfortunately, coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) was able to slip past the Great Guardian and Guarantor of Freedom.
    BC

This sounds slightly sarcastic.
    Update: Trump himself has released a statement about his immanent arrest from a warrant to be issued in three days and called for protests and supporters to "take back our nation." Ya love to see it.
  • 180 Proof
    "Individual-1" apparently has been notified he is about to become "Defendent-1" within a few days. Imminently. :smirk:

:smile:

:up:
  • RogueAI
    I don't think Trump can win again. Except the Dems are staking a lot on helping Ukraine, and Putin might just decide to escalate things in an attempt to help his isolationist buddy Trump. Desperate people do desperate things.
  • RogueAI
    IT’S TIME!!! WE ARE A NATION IN STEEP DECLINE, BEING LED INTO WORLD WAR III BY A CROOKED POLITICIAN WHO DOESN’T EVEN KNOW HE’S ALIVE, BUT WHO IS SURROUNDED BY EVIL & SINISTER PEOPLE WHO, BASED ON THEIR ACTIONS ON DEFUNDING THE POLICE, DESTROYING OUR MILITARY, OPEN BORDERS, NO VOTER I.D., INFLATION, RAISING TAXES, & MUCH MORE, CAN ONLY HATE OUR NOW FAILING USA. WE JUST CAN’T ALLOW THIS ANYMORE. THEY’RE KILLING OUR NATION AS WE SIT BACK & WATCH. WE MUST SAVE AMERICA!PROTEST, PROTEST, PROTEST!!!

:gasp:
  • Maw
    Let's see in 2024 if you are a fortuneteller, Maw.ssu

we'll see, my DeSantis 2024 stock is decreasing week by week although it's also not clear what Trump's future holds.
  • Mikie

MAGA nation seems riled up. Lots of Twitter posts, oh no!

All because their criminal hero is throwing a toddler tantrum over (maybe) being held accountable for one of his many crimes -- this one being fairly minor compared to others.
  • frank
    “I have no interest in getting involved in some manufactured circus by some Soros-DA,” DeSantis said at a news conference Monday,
    NBC

I guess this is a Soros-DA:

"Bragg is from Harlem, and grew up on Striver's Row.[2] In an interview with The American Prospect, Bragg noted that he had been "deeply affected by the criminal justice system – most directly through three gunpoint stops by the NYPD."[3] He graduated from the Trinity School[4] before attending Harvard College. He graduated from Harvard cum laude with a Bachelor of Arts in government in 1995[2][5] and earned his Juris Doctor from Harvard Law School, where he was an editor of the Harvard Civil Rights–Civil Liberties Law Review.[5][4]"

-wikipedia
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.