• Jamal
    TPF now has a new area called "Help," where you can find posts providing guidance and tips on how to use the site. There's a link to it at the top of every page, in the header bar.

https://thephilosophyforum.com/categories/44/help
  • Bret Bernhoft
    Thank you for adding this section. I'm sure it will be useful for many.
  • T Clark
    TPF now has a new area called "Help," where you can find posts proving guidance and tips on how to use the site. There's a link to it at the top of every page, in the header bar.Jamal

When I read the post about mathjax, I was thinking it should be pinned to the top of the page. This is a good way of handling it.
  • Banno
    Now that there is a help section (good idea), will their be an insistence on niceties such as that when someone is mentioned they are linked, and that quotes have an attribution?
  • Wayfarer
    have a look at the post I contributed on How to Quote, which is about exactly that topic.
  • Banno
    Yeah, noticed it - good work.

No, I was thinking of "nothing about me without me", where folk mention a member without linking their name. Once or twice might be forgetfulness, but here are a few repeat offenders.

If a member is spoke of in a conversation, it is no more than a natural curtesy to link their name so that they are informed.

A question for .
  • Wayfarer
    See what you mean. I'll update the How to Quote post accordingly.

//done//.
  • Outlander
    I still think this place would benefit greater from an Arcade or word game section (something intellectual, even a daily "guess the word or scenario" thing but it's the first time I've seen a new major structural addition here so :party:
  • Paine

I agree with that call for courtesy. I have to admit I just used the reply function to add them to the conversation and I still haven't practiced the @ at method yet.
  • Jamal
    will their be an insistence on niceties such as that when someone is mentioned they are linked, and that quotes have an attribution?Banno

Insistence, no. The Help section is to make it easier for people to find out how to use the site.

Whether people want to use the @ mention functionality is up to them. It’s easy to use and Wayfarer might cover it in his how-to series, but we won’t insist on it in the guidelines.
  • Wayfarer
    I added the @ tip to the Quotes how-to as it’s related.
  • creativesoul

Shit Banno, I've mentioned you countless times in past without linking your name so you knew...

I'll do better now that I know it bothers you.

:gasp:
  • SophistiCat
    No, I was thinking of "nothing about me without me", where folk mention a member without linking their name. Once or twice might be forgetfulness, but here are a few repeat offenders.Banno

I don't see a need to be notified whenever someone mentions me. This doesn't happen offline (and that's probably for the best), so why should this be a rule online? If I get a mention, I take it that they want me to attend to it. If that wasn't their intent, then why bother me?
  • Metaphysician Undercover
    I don't see a need to be notified whenever someone mentions me.SophistiCat

I agree. I don't see the point. They just start calling you "the crackpot" or "the crank", or some other name, when they'd prefer not to engage with you, anyway.
    @Wayfarer
    Do you mind if I refer to you as "the woo-peddler"? That's a fun name. It beats "the crank". I see why @BC changed names.
    @Wayfarer
    Do you mind if I refer to you as "the woo-peddler"?
    Metaphysician Undercover

In exchange, you can call me "the obfuscator". That's fun too.

Sorry, @Jamal, I've gone off topic and need moderation. Someone needs to summon @the team.

But this brings up a question closer to the topic of the thread. If, and when, someone flags a post, thereby reporting it to the moderating team, do we have access to that information, as to who makes the report.

Oops, sorry team, I think I accidentally flagged Sophisticat's post, checking out that feature.
  • Jamal
    But this brings up a question closer to the topic of the thread. If, and when, someone flags a post, thereby reporting it to the moderating team, do we have access to that information, as to who makes the report.Metaphysician Undercover

We can’t see who flagged a post.
  • BC
    I see why BC changed names.Metaphysician Undercover

Perhaps a good idea but it took me many years to do so. One doesn't want to rush into these things.
  • Banno
    I've mentioned you countless times in past without linking your name so you knew...creativesoul

Here it's little more than a simple curtesy, elsewhere it's of far greater import. It's advocacy leaking into the forum. I've a different perspective to that expressed by others here. "Insistence" was too strong a word - "expectation" might have been better. @Jamal and @Wayfarer's work on the help pages will alleviate the issue.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.