• José Ricardo
    Hi folks,

My name is José Ricardo, and I would like to know where is the homework section because I'm not finding this section. I can't find it.

Best regards for all! :)
  • Baden

There isn't one.
  • Michael
    Learning Centre > Questions?
  • Baden

@José Ricardo

If you have a short philosophical question, the answer to which can't be easily googled, you can ask it where Michael pointed to. We don't do homework as such though.
  • Baden
    The guideline for that section :

"If you'd like to query a philosophical point that's not easily Googled and that is not a homework assignment, start a discussion here. And remember to mark it as a question. OP's intended to foster debate and discussion that just happen to include questions can be posted in other categories.

Please accept the comment that answers your question."
  • Baden
    If you want to learn about something, probably the best way is to start a discussion on the topic. Just don't make it look like you want other posters to do your work for you. And if you have an urgent assignment you need help on, I'd say you're better off going elsewhere.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Is it possible to set up a Homework section in the Lounge? I learned a lot for reading other members questions in the Homework section of PF and I know there are a few forum members that enjoy helping others.
    Just a thought
  • Hanover
    We could also start a discussion in the ethics section called "Is it ok to help someone cheat." My own answer is yes. Wait, I mean no. The answer's probably no. That might be why there's a rule prohibiting it. Maybe.
  • Baden

We only had a specific logic homework help section at old PF. Help on other types of homework wasn't allowed. We do have the learning centre including the questions category, but as Hanover implied a general homework category is likely to be abused.
  • Sir2u
    We could also start a discussion in the ethics section called "Is it ok to help someone cheat."Hanover

College students cheating, well I never. :gasp:

Who'd have thought it possible? :worry:
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    We could also start a discussion in the ethics section called "Is it ok to help someone cheat."Hanover

That would make a great thread!

We only had a specific logic homework help section at old PF.Help on other types of homework wasn't allowed.Baden

Was it just logic or am I mistaken in thinking we had a Math help thread as well?

We do have the learning centre including the questions category, but as Hanover implied a general homework category is likely to be abused.Baden

It is easy to spot through the wording of their question if they are asking you to help them cheat or that they really don't grasp an idea. I am speaking of the later rather than the former.

College students cheating, well I never.Sir2u

@Sir2u as a teacher, what is your opinion about a Homework section?

Personally? My son has a picture in his room with this saying and I find a lot of 'wisdom' contained within it.

"Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared."
    - Buddha
  • Baden
    Was it just logic or am I mistaken in thinking we had a Math help thread as well?ArguingWAristotleTiff

Well, it was a category rather than a thread. Maybe those two were lumped together though.

It is easy to spot through the wording of their question if they are asking you to help them cheat or that they really don't grasp an idea. I am speaking of the later rather than the former.ArguingWAristotleTiff

Those aren't mutually exclusive though. And if someone merely doesn't understand an idea, they can use the questions category. I mean, we probably already have helped people with their homework, but they need to not say anything about it being homework and approach it from a different angle—like ask a question or start a discussion on the general theme. Plausible deniability and all that. Explicit homework help is likely to result in us getting an increasing flow of drive-by slackers here.
  • Sir2u
    as a teacher, what is your opinion about a Homework section?ArguingWAristotleTiff

It might be a good idea, but as Baden says it might result in us getting an increasing flow of drive-by slackers here.

What might work is a section where students can be honest while getting help with their homework. Many students do need help, but the problem is that they are difficult to distinguish from the ones that are just being lazy.
    If they explain truthfully why they need help, lack of understanding the question or the topic, they cannot find information and so on, someone might offer to help.
    But I think that they should be obliged to at least explain what they do understand before asking for help with the rest. That way it would be possible to see whether they have made a reasonable effort on their own.

If it is made clear that help is offered on a voluntary basis(if someone has the time and knowledge) and that it is not in any way guaranteed to be correct then it should put off the surge of lazies.

Personally I don't think that flat out refusing to help growing minds would be good for anyone, and the forum might have better future members as a result of the help provided.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.