• skyblack
    One shouldn't assume the flaws in language imply imperfections in reality. That would be, to my reckoning, sawing off the very branch one sits on and lectures the world. We're, in a sense, projecting our own shortcomings onto the world.Agent Smith

On the contrary. It was said , the flaws are in the very real imperfections in oneself, Language is doing what it is supposed to do. Language is a trivial matter, simply a tool. Just one link in the chain.

So, It is when one loses sight of these real imperfections within oneself, tires to conceal one's own shortcomings by the cunning use of language (weaving supporting philosophies), or any/all tools available in said edifice : always on the defense of one's fragile house. then it may serve well to do a reality check, as suggested in previous post. That being said,take it easy.
  • unenlightened
    What about the zero in a thousand, like most every contributor on TPF , including you and Baden. we should ban all of us :joke:Merkwurdichliebe

We are the lovely people for whom the intelligent perform - you guys have to have an audience don't you.
  • Agent Smith
    On the contrary. It was said , the flaws are in the very real imperfections in oneself, language is doing what it is supposed to do. Language is a trivial matter, simply a tool. Just one link in the chain.

So, It is when one loses sight of these real imperfections within oneself, tires to conceal one's own shortcomings by the cunning use of language (weaving supporting philosophies), or any/all tools available in said edifice : always on the defense of one's fragile house. then it may serve well to do a reality check, as has been suggested in previous post. That being said,take it easy.
    skyblack

I see, like the Delphic Oracle once warned her clients - the citizens of Delphi - temet nosce (know thyself).

That out of the way, as you so rightly pointed out, language is just a tool and how good/bad it is as one reflects upon its creator's (us) ingenuinity/stupidity. Let's stop shifting the blame and own up to our own (silly) follies, oui?

Hats off to you sir/ma'am, as the case may be!
  • skyblack
    I see, like the Delphic Oracle once warned her clients - the citizens of Delphi - temet nosce (know thyself).Agent Smith

Yet, if you consider the silliness of the people listening to said oracle, isn't it funny? They are listening to an outside source when you are the book you want to read? I suppose it has to do something with an absence of integrity, and fortitude. We are not going to start psychoanalyzing this your way and sound ridiculous, in our worship of quack/codpsychology in support of our shortcomings. That is the same sh**, right?

That out of the way, as you so rightly pointed out, language is just a tool and how good/bad it is as one reflects upon its creator's (us) ingenuinity/stupidity. Let's stop shifting the blame and own up to our own (silly) follies, oui?Agent Smith

Agreed. It will sound much more authentic and sincere if i will take the liberty of changing your last sentience to be read as - "i will stop shifting the blame and own up to my own (silly) follies, oui?". Doesn't it sound better? Now the measure of this insight is obviously going to show in conduct, both in public and in private. Now that will remain to be seen.

Hats off to you sir/ma'am, as the case may be!Agent Smith

What do ya say, shall we call it a day now that the point is clear and school is over? But see, got ya to speak, instead of your usual emoji. Ciao
  • Agent Smith

I like the way you think! However, you're paying a price which some may not be willing to. What that is exactly is for you to find out monsieur.

All I can say is this: It's not that simple. :grin:

Too bad, life would've been so much easier if it were, si?
  • coolazice
    Exactly. If @Baden and Co had worked a bit harder, maybe @Streetlight wouldn't have bitten the dust. — Changeling

I assume this is irony, but I'm not sure where I suggested that the mods are not hard-working. I'm simply pointing out a technological mechanism which exists on Facebook which doesn't exist here. If the mods don't want it, fine by me. Just thought I'd mention it.
  • Outlander
    FWIW, this banning did kind of startle me. Street was a mod. I mean there's some positive "all men created equal" vibes there somewhere but, yeah. :lol:

Definitely gonna think more before I post. Which is good. I think.
  • Metaphysician Undercover
    ...I consider it a real shame for the forum to lose someone who can contribute to those types of discussions.emancipate

True, but the shame is Streetlight's only, for the absence of restraint required to restrict oneself "to those types of discussions".
  • Baden
    Banned @Leghorn for refusing moderation/ignoring warnings.
  • Changeling
    Banned Leghorn for refusing moderation/ignoring warnings.Baden

Erm ... where are you?
  • praxis
    Baden sets the price of participation at being nice to fools.Banno

No, that doesn’t appear to be the price. The price seems to be not being over-the-top hostile and bigoted. A very low bar, actually.
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    Any chance to bring back Street? :grin:
  • Janus
    TGW was given a second chance, but I believe he blew it again. Of course it doesn't follow that Streetlight would do so.
  • god must be atheist
    I am hopeless at remembering members by their identifying user names. A few stick in my mind, but Streetlight's did not.

So I ask anyone to enlighten me please: was Streetlight an atheist scientist, or a religious person? For the life of me, I can't remember at all.

I read four pages about his banning, and from that I learned: he was angry, he turned political, he was feisty, and he had been well-versed in academic philosophy. But none of these tell me about his basic belief system.

I know I've encountered a few fanatic political fanatics here, mainly those of the extreme left. I am a lefty myself, but these guys were insanely leftists. I can' t remember the user name of any of them.
  • Mikie
    Banned @Jackson for low quality posts and continually showing no interest in discussion.
  • unenlightened
    Banned JacksonXtrix

Hurrah! A tedious arrogant rude and contemptuous fool.
  • Changeling
    I don't think I ever even saw a post by Action-@Jackson. I don't spend enough time here...
  • Noble Dust
    Action-@Jackson.Changeling

Is that an Action Bronson reference?
  • Agent Smith
    If only we wrote posts on this forum as we would an article in a reputed philosophical journal! But ThePhilosophyForum isn't a (reputed) philosophical journal now is it?

I would like to suggest that posters keep the first sentence of my post in mind as you write, but also, don't forget the second sentence. A fine balancing act which few have mastered and fewer know about. Bonam fortunam, good people! Keep postin' but be mindful of the rules!
  • Metaphysician Undercover
    If only we wrote posts on this forum as we would an article in a reputed philosophical journal!Agent Smith

Some of us would not want to lower ourselves to that level.
  • Agent Smith
    Some of us would not want to lower ourselves to that level.Metaphysician Undercover

That's the attitude! Atta boy!
  • Existential Hope
    A bit impertinent, but that is a beautiful bird. I showed my parrot that imageand he seemed quite impressed by it.
  • praxis
    I was hoping to one day see Jack’s artworks. Now it shall never be.
  • Alkis Piskas
    Rest in Peace to all those who have left usRené Descartes
    :down: I find this metaphor totally inappropriate and very bad taste.
    People who leave this or any other place may be very "alive" and happy!
  • BC
    Erm ↪T Clark... where are you?Changeling

Clark must be on vacation or something - he hasn't posted on the shout box lately. But then, hardly anybody else has, either. Everybody on vacation? In bed with Covid? Joined the Ukrainian army? In D.C. to advise JB? Exploring the sewers of Paris?
  • jgill
    Banned Jackson for low quality posts and continually showing no interest in discussion.Xtrix

Did you warn Jackson at least once, or did you simply ban him?
  • Paulm12
    I do appreciate the quality control here. I’ve been using the site less recently because I’ve been encountering low quality posts, insults, extreme partisanship, and general stuff that doesn’t belong in a philosophy forum (arguments that wouldn’t stand in a philosophy 101 class in high school or college)

I was looking for an online philosophy forum where people took philosophical methodology seriously, and I wasn’t finding it from some groups on facebook. I think we should hold ourselves to a higher standard of avoiding fallacies, basic stuff like that. Of course it doesn’t mean people have to get banned, they can be warned, have it explained why their argument is inappropriate, etc. But at the end of the day posts that discourage sincere contributors from engaging will hurt the quality of the forum in the long run. I applaud the mods for, in my view, trying to make this forum a place where philosophy can happen.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.