• Photios

It is one of his best, IMHO. Go get a copy!
  • SophistiCat
    Kazuo Ishiguro – The Buried KnightSnakes Alive

The Buried Giant, surely? (It's on my list.)

Books I read recently:

Ivan Bunin - Stories and novellas
    Thomas Mann - Death in Venice and other stories
    JM Coetzee - Waiting for the Barbarians
    Dino Buzzati - The Tartar Steppe
    Salman Rushdie - Midnight's Children
    Olga Tokarczuk - The Books of Jacob - just started. This one will take a while...

Jude the Obscure
    by Thomas Hardy
    Pantagruel

A great read, but gloomier even than Tess, in its own way.
  • 180 Proof
    It is only through the conversation of man with man that ideas come into existence. Two human beings are as necessary for the generation of the human mind as they are for the human body
    ~Feuerbach

Interesting introductory quote; I'd agree with this: Consciousness is essentially interactive.
    Pantagruel
    :up: :up:
  • Snakes Alive
    Yeah, the Buried Giant. I don't know why I typed it that way. It's alright, but I'm leaving it aside for now to finish some other stuff.
  • javi2541997
    Japanese literature:

Seven Japanese tales by Junichiro Tanizaki.
    The Temple of the Golden Pavilion by Yukio Mishima
    Sputnik, sweetheart by Murakami.
    A personal matter by Kenzaburo Oe

But specially dedicated to Kawabata Yasunari:

• The dancing girl of Izu
      Koto
      The house of sleeping beauties
      Snow country.
  • T Clark
    Sputnik, sweetheart by Murakami.javi2541997

I read "1Q85" and really enjoyed it. Almost a fantasy but not quite. Is it magical realism? It scrambled up my mind. I keep thinking I'll read more of his work, but when I take a look, I find myself unready to jump back in to such an odd world. I'm sure I will eventually.
  • javi2541997

It is similar but with some different tones. I think the magical realism of "Sputnik, sweetheart" is not close enough to 1Q84. Nevertheless! It has that Murakami atmosphere that you can check in most of the books: loneliness, random grils out of nowhere, Metaphysic conversations, nostalgia, etc...
  • T Clark
    It is similar but with some different tones. I think the magical realism of "Sputnik, sweetheart" is not close enough to 1Q84. Nevertheless! It has that Murakami atmosphere that you can check in most of the books: loneliness, random grils out of nowhere, Metaphysic conversations, nostalgia, etc...javi2541997

I'll add it to my list. Maybe this will give me the impetus I need to read some more Murakami.
  • Jamal
    Mason & Dixon by Thomas Pynchon.
  • Hanover
    Go, Dog. Go!
  • _db
    Mutual Aid: A Factor of Evolution, Peter Kropotkin
    Against Our Will: Men, Women and Rape, Susan Brownmiller
  • Jeromme
    Samsa in Love. Unforgettable.
  • Maw
    On the Reproduction of Capitalism by Louis Althusser
  • Manuel

:clap:

Enjoy.

Quite hard but beautiful language.
  • Jamal
    160 pages in and I'm finding it totally absorbing and enjoyable.
  • Dermot Griffin
    Currently re-reading

The Brothers Karamazov, Fyodor Dostoyevsky.

An Inquiry into the Good, Kitaro Nishida.

Love and St. Augustine, Hannah Arendt.

The Human Condition, Hannah Arendt.

Currently reading

Lots of stuff by Kierkegaard: The Present Age, The Sickness Unto Death, On the Concept of Irony, Attack Upon Christendom, Fear and Trembling along with his early journals. I’ve also been reading up on Thomism too, namely Orthodox Readings of Aquinas by Marcus Plested and Person and Act by John Paul II.
  • javi2541997
    Lots of stuff by Kierkegaard: The Present Age, The Sickness Unto Death, On the Concept of Irony, Attack Upon Christendom, Fear and TremblingDermot Griffin

You would enjoy it :up:
  • Noble Dust
    A History of God - Karen Armstrong (thanks @Wayfarer)
    Rogue Moon - Algis Budrys (thanks @Srap Tasmaner)
  • Wayfarer
    :up:

Platonism, Naturalism, and Mathematical Knowledge, James Robert Brown
    The Radiance of Being: Dimensions of Cosmic Christianity, Stratford Caldecott
  • Noble Dust
    The Radiance of Being: Dimensions of Cosmic Christianity, Stratford CaldecottWayfarer

This sounds fascinating.
  • Wayfarer
    His is a touching story, lifelong seeker turned Catholic convert who died prematurely from cancer. Eclectic outlook and a very good writer. (He was born 5 weeks after me :fear: )
  • 180 Proof
    February reading

When Bad Thinking Happens to Good People: How Philosophy Can Save Us from Ourselves, S. Nadler & L. Shapiro
  • Tom Storm
    Jude the Obscure
    by Thomas Hardy
    Pantagruel

A haunting and desolate novel. Don't read it if you are feeling low...
  • javi2541997
    When Bad Thinking Happens to Good People: How Philosophy Can Save Us from Ourselves, S. Nadler & L. Shapiro180 Proof

It looks like so interesting. I going to check it out and put it on my next readings.
  • Streetlight
    Eric Mielants - The Origins of Capitalism and the "Rise of the West"
    Colin Moores - The Making of Bourgeois Europe: Absolutism, Revolution, and the Rise of Capitalism in England, France and Germany
  • 180 Proof
    To Be Taught, If Fortunate, Becky Chambers
  • Manuel
    The Philosophical Writings of Descartes Volumes I-II
  • Maw
    sounds good lemme know your thoughts
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.