• 180 Proof
    The Forever War
    by Joe Haldeman
    Pantagruel
    Excellent! Enjoy it.
  • Bret Bernhoft
    I'm currently reading "Beyond Earth's Horizon", as written by Anthony Fucilla.
  • Maw
    Civilization and Its Discontents by Sigmund Freud
  • Jamal
    The Sunken Land Begins to Rise Again by M. John Harrison
  • Pantagruel
    Civilization and Its Discontents by Sigmund FreudMaw
    A classic. Enjoy.
  • T Clark
    Just finished Collingwood's "The Principles of Art." I've been thinking about aesthetics a lot recently. I think I finally wore out metaphysics. The book was interesting and helpful. Maybe I'll put together a new discussion about it.

Besides being insightful, by which I mean he see's things in a way similar to me, the book also fulfills my primary requirement for a philosophical work - it's short.
  • Hanover
    Besides being insightful, by which I mean he see's things in a way similar to me, the book also fulfills my primary requirement for a philosophical work - it's short.T Clark

The book you're referencing is 350 pages, so it's not exactly short. There is a book on Amazon claiming to be Collingwood's "The Principles of Art," but it's actually a 20 or so page abridged version.

You've still got 330 pages to go.
  • 180 Proof
    Since you favor "short books on aesthetics" and self-identify, IIRC, as a pragmatist, I recommend John Dewey's Art as Experience. An even shorter read, at the intersection of aesthetics & metaphysics, is Language and Myth by Ernst Cassirer. Both are more or less Collingwood's peers though they significantly differ in emphases from one another.
  • T Clark
    The book you're referencing is 350 pages, so it's not exactly short. There is a book on Amazon claiming to be Collingwood's "The Principles of Art," but it's actually a 20 or so page abridged version.

You've still got 330 pages to go.
    Hanover

There you go. I was feeling all virtuous and wise and you ruin everything. The long version is not available electronically. Part of my Taoist faith is that books that can't be read in electronic versions do not exist. "The text that's not on Kindle is not the etermal Text." That's what Lao Tzu would have said.
  • T Clark
    Since you favor "short books on aesthetics" and self-identify, IIRC, as a pragmatist, I recommend John Dewey's Art as Experience. An even shorter read, at the intersection of aesthetics & metaphysics, is Language and Myth by Ernst Cassirer. Both are more or less Collingwood's peers though they significantly differ in emphases from one another.180 Proof

Thanks. I'll take a look.
  • Hanover
    Thanks. I'll take a look.T Clark

As in, you'll look at the book, but not necessarily read it. Instead of saying, "I didn't read the book, I saw the movie," you're saying, "I saw the book, not the movie."
  • T Clark
    As in, you'll look at the book, but not necessarily read it. Instead of saying, "I didn't read the book, I saw the movie," you're saying, "I saw the book, not the movie."Hanover

I've been studying speed reading, so I already got the books and read them. It took me ten minutes. They involve philosophy.
  • Photios

Ravenna, by Judith Herrin
  • L'éléphant
    Search for a Naturalistic World View - Shimony
  • Snakes Alive
    T. C. Boyle – The Tortilla Curtain
    Kazuo Ishiguro – The Buried Knight
    Virginia Woolf – To the Lighthouse
    Tommy Orange – There There
  • Jamal
    Cold Hand in Mine by Robert Aickman
  • T Clark

I looked Aickman up on Wikipedia. He sounds like an interesting writer.
  • Jamal
    Yes, his stories are pleasingly unsettling.
  • Maw
    Écrits by Jacques Lacan
  • _db
    Same here! :100:
  • Streetlight
    Jesus, good luck.
  • Snakes Alive
    Chester Himes – If He Hollers Let Him Go
    Joan Didion – Play It As It Lays
    José Antonio Villarreal – Pocho
    John Steinbeck – Tortilla Flat
  • Ansiktsburk
    Beyond Good and Evil, Nietzsche and The Sun Sister, Lucinda Riley.
  • Maw
    I'll never look at a mirror the same way again
  • Pantagruel
    The Sociology of Knowledge: Toward a Deeper Understanding of the History of Ideas
    by Werner Stark

edit:

It is only through the conversation of man with man that ideas come into existence. Two human beings are as necessary for the generation of the human mind as they are for the human body
    ~Feuerbach

Interesting introductory quote; I'd agree with this: Consciousness is essentially interactive.
  • Pantagruel
    Jude the Obscure
    by Thomas Hardy
  • Photios

I love returning to his novels once and a while. One of my favorite writers.
  • Pantagruel
    Haven't read this one but I am a sucker for Victorian Lit in general. Thomas Carlyle and Sir Walter Scott are a couple of my new top picks from last year's reading.
  • T Clark
    Thomas HardyPantagruel

I really like Hardy, but I've never read that one.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.