• Mikie
    to support people who ruin lies and ensure they get to do so.StreetlightX

By voting against Trump. Voting against Trump is not supporting Biden. But when there are two choices, it just so happens that to vote against Trump means pushing a blue button. Being against homelessness and destitution means getting a job, in this system. That's not supporting wage slavery and capitalism.

I'll repeat this many times if you need it.
  • Streetlight
    Voting against Trump is not supporting Biden.Xtrix

"Voting for Biden is not supporting Biden".

And supposing my paraphrasing is not exactly right, which it is, this lowest-common-denominator hostage-taking crap is exactly the problem.
  • John McMannis
    It is absolutely a crappy position. But it is one engineered by the parties themselves. I'm not offering easy solutions. I don't think there are. People are going to get hurt. People are getting hurt. But I do think that what needs to not be done is to continue letting these parties put people in crappy positions.StreetlightX

Well I agree with that, yeah. I admit I do still vote though, and I voted Biden. I wouldn't say I'm a big fan of his or anything, it was more of that I thought trump was even worse. Maybe that was foolish in the end but I don't know how to go about proving it either way haha.

It's an absolutely trivial point that a 10 year old can understand. Provided they haven't spent years reading Zizek and other intellectual frauds, living in an idealist fantasy world.Xtrix

Well I'm probably at a 10 year old level with this stuff anyway. I don't know who Zizek is but I just googled him. Why do you say he's a fraud?
  • Mikie
    "Voting for Biden is not supporting Biden".StreetlightX

Exactly right. "Getting a job is not supporting capitalism." It's being against poverty. At least in the economic reality in the United States. Likewise, the political reality of the United States -- a two-party system -- is equally a reality. But we can live in fantasies if we like -- easy to do from thousands of miles away.
  • Mikie
    this lowest-common-denominator hostage-taking crap is exactly the problem.StreetlightX

Yes, capitalism does force people to make terrible choices. Unfortunately, living in a purist fantasy doesn't change the reality of needing money to eat and live.

Also, @John McMannis, what do you think of being a supporter of a person who ruins lives? Considering you voted against Trump, as you said, this is the only possible conclusion. :roll:
  • Streetlight
    Likewise, the political reality of the United States -- a two-party system -- is equally a reality.Xtrix

You know the function of politics right? To change reality? And no, not voting for Biden - or whatever phony corporate shill they put in his place - will not leave people homeless and starving. So you can leave this non-sequitur in the bin where you found it.
  • John McMannis
    Also, John McMannis, what do you think of being a supporter of a person who ruins lives?Xtrix

I wouldn't say I'm a big supporter or anything like I said I just didn't like Trump. But I think I see what you're getting at.
  • Mikie
    Likewise, the political reality of the United States -- a two-party system -- is equally a reality.
    — Xtrix

You know the function of politics right? To change reality?
    StreetlightX

Indeed. Perhaps Marx shouldn't have studied at the British Museum...

And no, not voting for Biden - or whatever phony corporate shill they put in his place - will not leave people homeless and starving.StreetlightX

:rofl:

True -- and voting for Biden (or getting a job) doesn't necessarily make one a supporter (or a capitalist or, to shift to the above example, a supporter of British imperialism).

I'm sorry you struggle with this.
  • Streetlight
    Look, you're a Biden supporter. It's OK to say so. You support capitalism. It's OK to say so too. You also support destroyers of the environment. It's OK. You can come out of the closet. No one will judge you. In fact in this modern environment you will get ahead.
  • James Riley
    You also support destroyers of the environment.StreetlightX

So do you, StreetlightX. You are all about that land raping.
  • Mikie
    I wouldn't say I'm a big supporter or anything like I said I just didn't like Trump. But I think I see what you're getting at.John McMannis

Yes, what I'm getting at is the silly, childish, black-and-white "logic" of @StreetlightX. According to him, we're both perpetuators of an evil system and supporters of Joe Biden.

I guess voting against Hitler would have meant one was a great supporter of Ernst Thälmann.
  • Streetlight
    It's true that in capitalism you ought to shamelessly do what you can to survive. It's also true that the idea that 'voting for Biden' is a survival tactic - rather than moving us further in the direction of planetary death - is a crock. Biden has been a lodestar of capitalism for literal decades. The idea that one can be 'anticapitalist' while guilting others into throwing themselves behind him is North Korean style madness.
  • Mikie
    Look, you're a Biden supporter. It's OK to say so. You support capitalism.StreetlightX

I do? News to me -- and contrary to everything I've written for the last two years on this very forum. But if you say so! Who am I to argue about my own beliefs?

You also support destroyers of the environment.StreetlightX

:broken:

That hurts right here. And this works. This works.
  • Streetlight
    contrary to everything I've written for the last two years on this very forumXtrix

Lmao "Vote for Biden vote for Biden" is about the entire content of your posting history. If you can't even get that right, no wonder you can't get literally anything else either.
  • Mikie
    It's also true that the idea that 'voting for Biden' is a survival tactic - rather than moving us further in the direction of planetary death - is a crock.StreetlightX

Voting against Trump is certainly a survival tactic, yes. I'm very glad to have taken the five minutes to do so.
  • Mikie
    Lmao "Vote for Biden vote for Biden" is about the entire content of your posting history.StreetlightX

Me and Noam Chomsky. I'm happy to be in such company. Apparently that's all he's done fro the last 60 years as well. :rofl:

You stick with Zizek.
  • Streetlight
    It's cute how you think describing literally the same action differently is supposed to mean anything.
  • Streetlight
    Me and Noam Chomsky.Xtrix

Chomsky can't even get linguistics right, to think he can get politics right.
  • Mikie

"Same action." lol

Two tracks. One goes off a cliff. The other goes through a dilapidated bridge that's likely to crumble. You're on a moving train.

Directing the train to the bridge means you're in support of that choice -- not against going off a cliff.

Incredible.
  • Mikie
    Chomsky can't even get linguistics right,StreetlightX

:rofl:

Says some guy on the internet about the founder of modern linguistics. (Because of the Piraha of course! lol)
  • Manuel
    Saying something like that about Chomsky is quite remarkable...
  • Streetlight
    Two tracks. One goes off a cliff. The other goes off a cliff but it flies little BLM flags.Xtrix
  • Mikie

Yes, we know your position -- we're going off the cliff either way, so stay home, don't vote. :ok:
  • James Riley
    Chomsky can't even get linguistics right, to think he can get politics right.StreetlightX

I recently outed you as a Trump/Putin supporter, but this post of yours reminds me of when I outed you quite some time ago as the guy who thinks being a critic must mean he has critical thinking skills. :lol: I think you are both a Trump chump and a guy who thinks he's all that.
  • Mikie

Well he's read Dan Everett, so there goes Chomsky!
  • Streetlight
    We can talk about it, but not in this thread.
  • Manuel

It's all good. I see you are busy here. Chomsky is a personal issue to me, so I couldn't resist a comment.

You have plenty to argue here anyway.
  • James Riley
    Well he's read Dan Everett, so there goes Chomsky!Xtrix

I would say "I can't believe this guy" (meaning the audacity; I never did believe his crap) but I actually can believe it. His type are a dime a dozen and he has a future with Faux News Network. His efforts work on the confused who don't want to invest the time in spotting a charlatan. But for him to think he's special the way he obviously does is just so Trumpian. A chip off the old block. :roll:
  • Mikie

Eh, it's just typical angry, immature internet drivel. I'm just having fun and so's he I'm sure. Who gives a shit.
  • Streetlight
    Eh. There's not much more to say at this point. I look forward to posting again when the democrats "concede" something else yet again, only to have fresh new old reasons why, nonetheless, they must be supported (otherwise you're bad!).
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.