• James Riley
    A party that is transparently shit on climate change, or a party that is semi-transparently shit on climate change, pretends not to be, and then helps secure victories for the party that is transparently shit on climate change, while staving off any actual change from the left on behalf of both?StreetlightX

That was precisely my question about you. :rofl: Self own.
  • Streetlight
    The democrats do not need me to undermine their psuedo-agenda. They are perfectly capable and willing, by all available evidence, of doing it on their own. But sure, I am the issue.
  • James Riley
    he democrats do not need me to undermine their psuedo-agenda.StreetlightX

Yes, and yet here you are! That's my point, DOH! That is why you are suspected to be a shill for the Republicans/Putin, ragging on those who don't need to be ragged on, all while pretending to neutrality/objectivity/outsider/non-partisan status. You are indeed partisan, working for the Republicans and Putin.
  • Mikie

No, plenty can be done, and one should take five minutes out of one's time and vote against the greater impediment to one's objectives. You apparently think that's the Democratic party, or perhaps that both parties are an equal impediment. Have the courage to say so clearly, so that everyone can see all the good reading countless books does.

Establishment propaganda sure works wonders.
  • Streetlight
    O нет, меня поймали!
  • Streetlight
    Have the courage to say so clearly,Xtrix

The democratic party functions as one-half of a two-part cycle whose overall effect is to ruin lives for everyone.StreetlightX

???
  • James Riley

So, the republican party functions as one-half of a two-part cycle whose overall effect is to ruin lives for everyone.

???
  • Mikie
    Have the courage to say so clearly,
    — Xtrix

The democratic party functions as one-half of a two-part cycle whose overall effect is to ruin lives for everyone.
    — StreetlightX
    StreetlightX

or perhaps that both parties are an equal impediment.Xtrix

3 Supreme Court picks and 54 appellate judgeships later -- the decisions of which all citizens have to live with for the next 30 years -- and still the choice to push a button against Trump is too difficult. Imagine.
  • Streetlight
    That would be the other part of the two-part cycle, yes. I see your powers of inference are doing wonders for you, Sherlock.
  • James Riley
    That would be the other part of the cycle, yes. I see your powers of inference are doing wonders for you, Sherlock.StreetlightX

You can't blame me. I had to say it for you. You never say shit about the Republicans, hence the borne-out suspicions that you are a shill for them.
  • Streetlight
    3 Supreme Court picks and 54 appellate judgeships later -- the decisions of which all citizens have to live with for the next 30 years -- and still the choice to push a button against Trump is too difficult. Imagine.Xtrix

Lmao now you've changed the subject entirely.
  • Streetlight
    You never say shit about the RepublicansJames Riley

Yeah such a mystery why I'm only discussing the party in power right now. Sherlock was a stretch, I guess.
  • John McMannis
    That's fair! It's both confusing and not, in that if you do a little digging, it's not too hard to figure out where things stand with everyone. But alot of mainstream sources are not very good, and keep the important issues out of the limelight, which makes that "digging" a far tougher exercise than it ought to be.StreetlightX
    I find it hard because I don't know who exactly to trust. Once I get down the rabbit hole I bounce from one opinion to the next, and both are convincing, and both claim to be fighting for the workers and the 'little people" and stuff. But I guess "they" want everyone confused.It's very frustrating when alll you hear is how journalists are objective and seeking truth.

It is alot harder. And it's been made so it is that way. But it's also alot more effective! Check out what is happening with the John Deere strikers atm - their industrial action secured almost double the way raises they were being offered, and they're still striking for more. Or else look at the successes of the Chicago teacher's strike. Hard work in, good results out.StreetlightX

Obviously not everyone is in the position to take industrial action. And the very fact that industrial action is mass action speaks to how hard it is for any one person, alone, to get things done. Alot of the work involves preparation and getting your principles in order so that when occasions arise, you do make the right choices. That seemingly 'wild' ideas like striking dont't seem so wild, if it ever comes to that. And cultivating solidarity and class consciousness with others like yourself in your community. You won't change the world by yourself. And that's OK. To find joy in a world geared towards making you miserable is a radical act. Joy and self-care is radical. Moreso if its shared. Also, it took literal centuries to end Feudalism. We will win because our timescales are geographic!StreetlightX

That's encouraging advice. I guess I shouldn't worry so much about the news and focus more on my job and things I can actually do something about. makes sense.
  • James Riley
    Yeah such a mystery why I'm only discussing the party in power right now. Sherlock was a stretch, I guess.StreetlightX

That's why I looked for you putting some distance between you and the Trumpsters, but crickets. So, rather than have me Sherlock-up and dig through five years of shit to find all the times you took the Republicans down, just give me a hint to prove your alleged outsider, objective view of these two feuding kids.
  • Mikie
    Lmao now you've changed the subject entirely.StreetlightX

No, the subject is which party, if any, one should vote against. You pushed against voting against Trump in '16 and '20. One result, among many, was what I mentioned: a transformed appellate court and Supreme Court, which will make it all the more harder to pass legislation even if we could -- for the next 30/40 years. Excellent logic, as always.
  • Streetlight
    You are a nobody to me whose existence I will forget in about half a minute, I could not care less.
  • Streetlight
    You pushed against voting against Trump in '16 and '20. One resultXtrix

Yes this is my fault and not a fuck-up democratic party lmao.
  • John McMannis
    Right -- we should all prevent the worst from happening, at minimum. It takes almost no time. Then we should get back to the real work. I understand the pessimism, but that shouldn't be a preventative for fighting. Not fighting guarantees the worst.Xtrix

I voted for Biden in 2020, and yeah it was more because I really disliked what Trump was saying and quite frankly a lot of his supporters. But I'm an independent. Biden seems like a nice guy and everything and was talking about healing the country and stuff, but I never really bought it. I just didn't like trump haha.

But the reality is we live in a two-party system that won’t change in our lifetime. Unfortunately we have to vote against one or the other. Republicans want to drill more and deny climate change is real— that’s worth voting against. Very simple stuff, and says absolutely nothing about being in favor of the Democratic Party.Xtrix

Makes sense I think.
  • Mikie
    Yes this is my fault and not a fuck-up democratic party lmao.StreetlightX

I mentioned logic.
  • John McMannis
    I don't get it. If both parties are awful, as all of you say you agree with, then why bother voting at all? How do you decide if one is worse than the other? Doesn't it depend more on the candidate than the R or D near their name? I don't think people should just vote one or the other no matter what, which is why I like being independent, I can look at each candidate myself and see what he or she has to say.
  • James Riley
    You are a nobody to me whose existence I will forget in about half a minute, I could not care less.StreetlightX

And there you have it, folks. StreetlightX is a Republican shill and has been outed in public. You can't trust a word he says about having some kind of outsiders, objective view when it comes to this. He wants to sew division and hatred among Americans because it works to satisfy a white nationalist agenda. The only question now is: Is it about the money, or does he actually believe in Trump's agenda? Hmmm. I guess it doesn't matter.
  • Mikie
    I voted for Biden in 2020, and yeah it was more because I really disliked what Trump was saying and quite frankly a lot of his supporters. But I'm an independent. Biden seems like a nice guy and everything and was talking about healing the country and stuff, but I never really bought it. I just didn't like trump haha.John McMannis

Fair enough. But it's good to decide based on policies as well.

But the reality is we live in a two-party system that won’t change in our lifetime. Unfortunately we have to vote against one or the other. Republicans want to drill more and deny climate change is real— that’s worth voting against. Very simple stuff, and says absolutely nothing about being in favor of the Democratic Party.
    — Xtrix

Makes sense I think.
    John McMannis

Yeah, pretty basic stuff. Now try explaining this to your buddy.
  • Streetlight
    As distinct from the logic of Democrats rolling out the red carpet for Republicans on their own?
  • Mikie

I agree -- the Democratic party should be much more progressive. That's why it's important to support Bernie and other progressive candidates. Now compare this to the Republican party -- who among them is like a Bernie or AOC? Ted Cruz? Taylor-Green? I wonder if you could name one.

Ah, never mind.
  • John McMannis
    Yeah, pretty basic stuff. Now try explaining this to your buddy.Xtrix

What? What buddy?
  • Mikie
    What? What buddy?John McMannis

@StreetlightX - but that was tongue-in-cheek. I would also take offense.
  • Streetlight
    That's why it's important to support Bernie and other progressive candidates.Xtrix

"We need to support ineffective candidates that do nothing and are undermined by their own party apparatus and whose end result is to entrench the cycle of Republican victories while pulling the country to the right".

Maybe not. Maybe not vote for Joe "we need a strong Republican party" Biden. Joe "I wrote the Patriot Act" Biden. Joe "more oil platforms than the Republicans" Biden.
  • Mikie
    Maybe not. Maybe not vote for Joe "we need a strong Republican party" Biden.StreetlightX

And ensure the Republican party gets into office. Like in '16, which led to 3 Supreme Court appointments which will determine American life for the next 40 years. Thankfully more people didn't follow that "logic" in '20.

"But Biden is even worse and ensures the cycle of Republican blah blah blah."
  • James Riley
    Maybe not. Maybe not vote for Joe "we need a strong Republican party" Biden.StreetlightX

Yeah, vote for Putin's bitch, Trump. :lol: How does it feel to be so transparent? Like the Republican party? The scary part is, it works with the stupid people and there are a lot of them. Proud, even! :roll:
  • Streetlight
    And ensure the Republican party gets into officeXtrix

Same same. I just choose not to suppport the party that staves off all efforts to stop this from happening. And I think others should be free to do the same without the political blackmail.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.