• Streetlight
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10086479/American-anti-vaxxers-faith-groups-manipulating-vulnerable-Aussies-not-jabbed.html

I know it's the DM but to think that we threw our hat in with this awful country. Australians like to fear monger about the threat of China - frankly it's Americans who are fatal to our well being. To think there was a whole cadre of them vying to 'save us' while standing atop of the dead bodies of 700,000 of their own citizens.
  • frank

Face it, the human race is incredibly weird.
  • Streetlight
    Some more than others.
  • fdrake
    But I feel like there's a changed media and communication environment that actually accounts for the timidity of governments insofar as they are alot more reactive (in a short term, polls-driven way) to next-day press releases and 24 hour news cycles in a way that they weren't before. I don't know that this is the only reason, but isolating reasons why governments have become so leadership averse would be the next important step in examining this phenomenon. Old mate Kevin is definitely on to something, I think, when he blames Murdoch for absolutely ruining the feedback process of governments and their constituents. dk, maybe the actual report does have more on that and they just didn't have time to get into it in the podcast.StreetlightX

Heard along a grapevine that the influence of Murdoch in German politics is noticeable on a county by county basis - does your constituency tend to consume Murdoch media? Then PR will be a dumpster fire. Anecdotal recount of an anecdote, though. Guess it's everywhere.
  • Streetlight
    does your constituency tend to consume Murdoch media?fdrake

We have two major media conglomerates that have an effective duopoly on the press in Australia. Murdoch is one of them, and by far the largest one. In our regional areas, Murdoch owns all the newspapers. His online presence is enormous too, owning the most visited Australian new site (news.com.au). Not to mention skynews.com.au, which the Youtube algorithm agressively pushes. When our PM visited the US earlier this year, one of his stops was to Murdoch to kiss the ring.

The other half of the duopoly, Nine, is run by a former treasurer of the existing government, the same one that basically follows Murdoch's lead like a hurt puppy. Just this year, our government pushed through legislation to force social media companies (read: Facebook) to pay 'local' media for their users even *linking* to their content. Indie media miss out on any of it.

The two (relatively popular) public broadcasters, the ABC and SBS, and consistently under attack for being too left leaning, despite the fact that they are both ensconsed solidly in the middle, and have had their funds constantly cut by the current government. Our media landscape is a disaster.
  • Tom Storm
    Our media landscape is a disaster.StreetlightX

Yep - has been for years. I wonder when Rupert dies (I will throw a small party) if his company will continue to fuck the world with Lachlan in charge. Or will it just crumble and powder like an excavated Egyptian mummy opened up on a Cairo street?
  • Banno
    Here's a plan:
    • "Further technological breakthroughs": 15%
    • "Global Technology Trends": 15%
    • Buying emissions from someone else: 20%

Fifty percent wishful thinking? Or relying prayer?

Non-binding, of course.

And by 2050, not 2030.

Technology is s wonderful thing. Scotty from marketing is planning to power his spin with hydrogen instead of hot air.
  • Wayfarer
    Just as well the effort doesn't depend solely on him. NSW and Victoria are doing a lot more that he is.
  • praxis

Ugh, I thought all ya blokes dawnunda we’re all wise and shit. Turns out you’re cunts like everyone else on the planet.
  • Streetlight
    https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/oct/26/voter-identification-to-be-compulsory-under-morrison-government-proposal?

This is like my worst fears coming through - Morrison aping American anti-democratic bullshit. The last thing we need to to become anything close to the shitfuckery that is the American asylum. What a malignant fucking cancer on the world. Fuck the US, and fuck Scott Morrison.

And of course it's inspired by our resident racist piece of shit MP, Hanson:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/oct/28/i-understand-the-need-centre-alliance-could-offer-crucial-support-for-coalitions-controversial-voter-id-laws
  • Streetlight
    In other, absolutely glorious news:

No wonder they want to water down voting.
  • Banno
    By Annabel Crabb
    But the Morrison doctrine on climate reveals a new path: Outline what you oppose, then get elected, then shimmy backwards under sniper fire from your own side — all the while denying you're shifting at all — then calmly declare victory, claiming credit for a bunch of stuff you opposed all along.

Morrison's climate 'plan' reveals a spectacular new model of political leadership in Australia
  • Manuel
    Macron went to the point here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/australia/comments/qk1ezu/macaron_telling_it_like_it_is/

Would it be fair to say that some people there are embarrassed or not really?
  • Streetlight
    It is not clear that our government is capable of embarrasment.
  • Banno
    Indeed:

Acting Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce said Mr Macron needed to "move on".

• Manuel

The government, sure. But what about the voters, or is this deal not very relevant to them?

After all, you still get the submarines...
  • Banno
    After all, you still get the submarines...Manuel
    You think? I doubt anyone here has high expectations. Second hand rent-a-sub
    Morrison’s planned nuclear-powered subs come without any estimated cost (except they’ll be more expensive than the French ones); or precise timetable (except they won’t be available for a couple of decades); or decision about which boat will be chosen (except it will be American or British), or firm indication of how much building will be done in Australia (except that it won’t be all of it and possibly only a modest amount).

https://theconversation.com/view-from-the-hill-for-morrison-aukus-is-all-about-the-deal-never-mind-the-niceties-168248

You might begin to understand why this thread is called "Scotty from Marketing".

:blush:
  • Manuel

Yeah, found out about the nickname in the Australia subreddit.

I had heard that the original French submarines weren't nuclear powered, but I haven't gone on to verify.

Well with ANZUS in the way, the so called "threat of China", countries just do what the US says, with very few exceptions. France'll just have to be embarrassed worldwide and mad at Australia, but it is an insult to the French, no doubt.

Hope your next PM will get a better nickname, at least. :joke:
  • Banno
    I had heard that the original French submarines weren't nuclear powered, but I haven't gone on to verify.Manuel

The French subs were nuclear powered, but Australia was paying to have the design modified for nonnuclear. Then we changed to nuclear. Look, it just doesn't make sense. We all know that.

Hope your next PM will get a better nickname, at least. :joke:Manuel

"Albo", perhaps...?
  • Manuel
    "Albo", perhaps...?Banno

I've got to read a good book by some learned reporter or scholar on Australian politics, I used to know a decent amount, for somebody who's very far away from Australia, but finds it fascinating.

I'm seeing that Labour isn't doing that well in the polls. Yet I'm seeing lots of hate for Scotty, politics all over the world is quite messed up these days, I don't get the situation over there.
  • Wayfarer
    I think, overall, and at risk of getting flamed, politics is not as broken in Australia as it is in the USA. I'm a fairly middle-of-the-road voter, generally have leaned Labor although I am also drawn to some aspects of the liberal (as distinct from conservative) elements of the other party. But I think Morrison is dissappointingly shallow. He's a media performer, comes across as the dinky-di Aussie bloke, but if you waded through his deepest thoughts you wouldn't get your feet wet.

The Labor Party has a real lack of leadership talent, the current leader is ernest and honest as the day is long, but nobody can see him winning the prize, although I could be wrong. The thing is, if the country comes out of the COVID blocks firing, this will favour the Government.

The best PM we've had in my recent lifetime was Julia Gillard in my opinion - Labor, lead from 2010-13, managed to steer many ground-breaking pieces of legislation from the position of a minority Government while coping with absolutely despicable treatment from the Murdoch press and the medievalist then-opposition leader (who was to become the worst PM in Australian history in my memory although again I might be wrong).

Morrison's cabinet are resoundingly mediocre in most ways, although I have to say I think overall they have to be given some credit for the economic and health management of the COVID-19 crisis. But they're definitely weak on environmental management and it is costing them. The aforementioned medieval PM lost his seat in the last election to a canny independent who ran on a Climate Change bill and who is continuing to stick it to them. There might be quite a bit more of that.
  • Streetlight
    The government, sure. But what about the voters,Manuel

So far the voters have proven themselves cowards, although they are largely kept in their cowardice by a massive propaganda apparatus which works in direct cahoots with the shameless government. Australians are by and large hostage to their own comforts - particularly houses - even as the conditions which maintain them are being eaten through every passing minute. I think anyone who cares about our international representation does feel embarassed, but I don't know how many people that is.

It's not even like the French deal was any good to begin with. In fact it was very likely the fruit of pure corruption, with a lobbying firm of ex-government operatives having pushed through the deal in the first place:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-11/scott-morrisons-friend-hired-by-french-during-submarine-talks/10797920

The lastest drama is just another episode in an already long-standing history of the government out to convenience, and frankly, pay their friends with taxpayer money as and when it suits them. It's a debacle from A-Z. It certainly has nothing to do with the needs or wants of the Australian people.
  • Olivier5
    It's not even like the French deal was any good to begin with. In fact it was very likely the fruit of pure corruption,StreetlightX

I haven't seen any evidence of that, although Naval Group has a sulfurous history elsewhere.

The Franco-Australian submarine deal was very big, which was probably part of the problem. A tranche approach maybe could have worked... Note that the only precedent of a big arm deal between France and Australia, the Mirages bought in the 60s, was made in several tranches, and those deals also faced a lot of headwind from our mutual American friends... In the end, Australian pilots liked their Mirages enough that they nicknamed them "the Miracles".
  • Streetlight
    I haven't seen any evidence of that,Olivier5

True. Should have prefaced that with the fact that I take it as axiomatic that anything the liberals do is as either backscratching for their mates or angling for votes.
  • Olivier5
    I take it as axiomatic that anything the liberals do is as either backscratching for their mates or angling for votes.StreetlightX

The advantage being that then you don't need to think seriously about it?

I've been looking for allegations of corruption because such things do tend to happen in mega arm deals, but also because the size of the order originally surprised me. Why did Australia concluded it needed 8 barracudas when the French themselves have ordered only 6, the same number as the previous Rubis class of submarines? These beasts are costly and powerful. If France -- with a larger economy and broader military engagements than Australia -- needs or can afford 6, how come Australia needs or can afford 8?

As said, I haven't found allegations of improprieties in the original deal.
  • Streetlight
    The advantage being that then you don't need to think seriously about it?Olivier5

Call it inductive reasoning. And your questions are good - but don't ever expect to get them answered.
  • Manuel

I remember her and liked her too, seemed to be doing the right things. Shame she still isn't in power, or at least remained in office for a longer period of time. Sure, politics in Australia cannot be as bad as it is in other parts of the world. Yep, my impression is that Australia has done decently well with COVID.

Yeah. It's a problem with the media is owned by so few people, especially those under a Murdoch ideology. I don't know who'd want to attack Australia such that it would need nukes. Military spending, such as it is, is a waste of money.
  • Streetlight

https://www.crikey.com.au/2021/09/16/christopher-pyne-submarine-deal-remember/

I knew there was something I was forgetting. They signed the French sub deal to secure a sub facility in South Australia with the promise of jobs, for one of their MPs. It wasn't corruption - well, I'm not ruling it out - it was vote chasing. I went with the wrong option of the two I mentioned. Can't go wrong with the axiom.

That same MP of course got a consultant role with a defense contractor after quitting politics.

--

Also the absolute drubbing that Morrison seems to be getting for his car crash apperance overseas is so, so heartening. I was worried it was just in my circles, but it seems like not even the mainstream press can ignore the fact that world leaders are actively treating that malignant fucking clown for the two-bit operator he is. His spit-the-dummy response to Macron - which someone aptly described as "throwing Australia in front of the bullet meant for him" - is yet another wonderful misstep too.

https://independentaustralia.net/politics/politics-display/morrison-government-humiliates-australia-at-g20,15694
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.