• Wayfarer
    Re the Djokovic ban - Tennis Australia was wrong to think that his claim amounted to an exemption from the vaccination requirements - but the question should be asked as to who actually granted the visa that was then revoked? There should be egg on quite a few faces over the whole sorry episode. (I can picture the Craig Kelly selfie with Djokovic even as I write this.)

The PM should stay out of it anyway. The logical person to comment would be Potato Head. Morrison’s just having one of his (many) Ray Hadley moments.

In any case, Djokovic’s entry would be a huge propaganda victory for the anti-vaccination movement and even if he’s deported, he becomes in effect a martyr for their cause.
  • Streetlight
    In any case, Djokovic’s entry would be a huge propaganda victory for the anti-vaccination movement and even if he’s deported, he becomes in effect a martyr for their cause.Wayfarer

Not martyr enough.
  • Streetlight
    I hope it hurts.

• Banno
    Something to contemplate: ..is Scott Morrison’s media strategy starting to fail?

The strategy is simple: Defend Morrison at all cost.

Combined that with the utter lack fo planning or even a bit of forethought that Laura Tingle again pointed to today.
  • Manuel
    @Banno@Wayfarer@StreetlightX

Since ya'll from Down Under. I wanna know, do you think Djokovic's lawyers stand a chance appealing the governments decision?

To be clear, I'm not a fan of his and I think he's a clown on this - and other topics. But, that's neither here nor there. Come Monday, he should be out or what do you think?
  • Banno
    It depends if he can back up his claim to have had Covid in December, despite not having been in isolation while positive.

Dubious.
  • Wayfarer
    My take is that the wheels of justice will not turn quickly enough to put him into the tournament. Already the presiding judge scolded his lawyers for requesting a speedy resolution, saying the tail ought not to be wagging the dog.

I think the guy who made the call that his exemption was valid was Craig Tiley who is head of the Australian Open. One of our news services yesterday showed excerpts from emails that he had sent to the players, saying that recent COVID infection would be considered grounds for exemption, but it was clearly contradicted both by published Australian Government guidelines and also be direct correspondence from the Australian minister of health, which they also showed. (Someone also published an excerpt on Facebook showing that Serbia requires full vaccination or a negative test result/quantantine for Australians seeking entry.) I think Tiley took a punt that Djokovic would be waved through, and lost. I'm sympathetic to him, as Djokovic is obviously the biggest drawcard and there are huge commercial interests at stake but at the end of the day it was a bad judgement call. It makes him and the whole country look bumbling and inefficient.

As for Djokovic, the thing which riles me and a lot of others are his obvious anti-vax provocations. He hangs out with Serbian alternative-health nuts and talks about spiritual healing and natural immunity. You can change the composition of water by your atttitude. And anti-vaccination is just one face of the anti-science conspiracy culture that is boiling all over the world. It shouldn't be forgotten that Djokovic organised a dissident tournament in 2020 which became a super-spreader event. Melbourne has been through four bitter and extremely controversial lockdowns and the scene of multiple anti-vaccination protests. Many Australians have been unable to enter the country for periods of 12 months. So if Djokovic got in on a wink and a nod there would have been understandable outrage about double standards.

All in all, a world-class cock-up.
  • Manuel

What a clown. Good. People with that level of influence have more responsibility.

Hmmm, interesting. I suspected something of the sort, in terms of him being a big name draw, and hoping most people would turn a blind eye to him coming in. They did not count on omicron, which really made people mad, with good reason.

I mean, surely the Victorian government looks to be somewhat culpable here and even more so the actual tournament, who would want Djokovic in, since Federer is out, and Nadal is rusty.

Sure, there's some bit of not-good looking PR in the whole situation. But I think that had Djokovic team been more thorough, they would've noticed that he did not have sufficient documentation for clearance in all levels of government. He posted in his Instagram that he had exemption like a day, or even mere hours, before taking the plane.

His wife I hear, is quite loony with alternative medicine, and his father is just crazy. Djokovic cried when had to take a minor elbow surgery, that's how much he dislikes modern medicine...
  • Wayfarer
    I don't know if the Victorian government has a role - border controls, passports and visas are all Federal responsibilities.
  • baker
    Djokovic cried when had to take a minor elbow surgery, that's how much he dislikes modern medicine...Manuel

Oh, come on. At his level of professional athletic performance, every little detail matters. Anything that can endanger it in any way must be shunned.
    Professional athletes aren't just ordinary people, doing just ordinary things.

Other than that, there is suspicion that in this whole Djokovic visa scandal, Australia is actually trying to pick a fight with Russia, given that Serbia is on good terms with Russia.

Aww, and this:

The tall poppy syndrome is a cultural phenomenon in which people hold back, criticise, or sabotage those who have or are believed to have achieved notable success in one or more aspects of life, particularly intellectual or cultural wealth — "cutting down the tall poppy".[1] It describes a draw towards mediocrity and conformity.

Commonly in Australia and New Zealand, "cutting down the tall poppy" is used to describe those who deliberately put down another for their success and achievements.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tall_poppy_syndrome
  • Manuel

It was a relatively minor surgery. He was out partying when COVID first broke, didn't cry then when he helped infect a lot of people, as well as encouraging others through his example of not getting a vaccine.

Also seemed to be in a good mood the day after he tested positive and was around other people, without a mask.

If he has a legitimate medical issue for not doing so, fine, then state it. If not, then that's a problem given who he is.
  • Banno
    Other than that, there is suspicion that in this whole Djokovic visa scandal, Australia is actually trying to pick a fight with Russia, given that Serbia is on good terms with Russia.baker

Laughable.

Russia doesn't figure in Australian politics.

In Australian English, tall poppies are usually individuals who, on the basis of unwarranted self-adulation, itself a consequence of success, amassed fortune or fame, have become targets for criticism; or, less frequently, individuals who, overcome by success, amassed fortune or fame, and on the mistaken assumption that they are above the law, have engaged in unlawful behaviour, only to find that, eventually, the law catches up with them as well.

A little bit of nuance is appropriate. Our friend fits the bill nicely. Poppies are valued for their colour, not their height.
  • Wayfarer
    an update from today’s SMH - Craig Tiley says he received conflicting advise from Federal and State Governments regarding exemptions, which sounds quite likely. https://www.smh.com.au/sport/tennis/tiley-says-tennis-australia-was-caught-in-a-conflict-of-advice-between-state-and-commonwealth-20220109-p59mxq.html
  • Manuel

I mean, I know it's easy to criticize but shouldn't he have settled on Federal law? That's the most important one, usually.

However this plays out, I would be shocked if they let Novak play, I don't think most fans at the Open would even want him at this stage of this drama.
  • Wayfarer
    Reading that article, it's hard to blame Tiley. He says was advised by the State's Chief Health Officer that exemptions would be given based on prior infection (and contrary to what I said yesterday, a State Government officer). What he's saying is that he tried to get clarity about the requirements from the Federal government but got conflicting advise and no firm guidelines.

Tennis Australia and the Victorian government granted a handful of exemptions for unvaccinated players to enter the Open. The process was based on guidelines from the Commonwealth’s peak vaccine advisory body, Mr Tiley said, but tennis officials asked the federal government on two occasions in November to examine each exemption to ensure they would be accepted by federal officials at the border.

“They declined,” he said. “We asked if they could please assess our decisions. We said we’re going to need some help to make sure we’re doing the right thing. We’d be in a different situation today.”

Although the article then goes on to say:

In late November, health authorities told Tennis Australia on two occasions in writing that people who were not vaccinated and had contracted COVID-19 in the past six months would not be granted quarantine-free travel to Australia.

So, maybe, like I said, Tiley made a bet, but it was a bad bet.

All that said, I agree public opinion is overwhelmingly hostile to Djokovic.
  • baker
    Laughable.

Russia doesn't figure in Australian politics.
    Banno
    *sigh*
    Do try to keep up with Scotty.

Australia is refuelling the Cold War.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AUKUS

In Australian English, tall poppies are usually individuals who, on the basis of unwarranted self-adulation, itself a consequence of success, amassed fortune or fame, have become targets for criticism; or, less frequently, individuals who, overcome by success, amassed fortune or fame, and on the mistaken assumption that they are above the law, have engaged in unlawful behaviour, only to find that, eventually, the law catches up with them as well.

A little bit of nuance is appropriate. Our friend fits the bill nicely.
    If he had entered Australia as a blind passenger or by force, you'd have a point. But now you're blaming him for what was entirely the fault of the Australian government.

Poppies are valued for their colour, not their height.
    Then why cut the tallest ones ...
  • baker
    His actual offence seems to be that now some people feel pressured by him or because of him to say some really undemocratic or otherwise unsavory things. Which they believe, of course, but which are tabooed and which they feel they should never have to say.
  • Manuel

Doesn't matter much now, to my surprise, he's playing in the Open.
  • Banno
    China, not Russia.

And just to repeat:
    ...on the basis of unwarranted self-adulation...Banno

...on the mistaken assumption that they are above the law...Banno
  • Janus
    It depends if he can back up his claim to have had Covid in December, despite not having been in isolation while positive.

Dubious.
    Banno

Yes, he was either diagnosed with Covid in December or not. And being diagnosed with Covid in the past 6 months is either sufficient grounds for an exemption from having to be double vaccinated in order to be here and play in the Australian Open or not .The Australian government should have a clear policy on this and stick to it without prejudice or political motivation.

If he was not in isolation while positive that reflects poorly on his judgement and/ or character, but it is irrelevant to whether or not he is entitled to a medical exemption.
  • Wayfarer
    Yes I’m of the view that his medical exemption is legitimate now the details are published. Maybe Border Force overstepped their mark, maybe there was perceived political pressure. Bad look for the Government however it happened. But I will grudgingly admit I think he’s established his right to play even despite his anti-vaccination attitudes.

One thing I do notice is that Djokovic is to all intents regarded as royalty by a lot of people - Serbs in particular, but the tennis world in general. So a lot of the outrage seemed to be How could you treat the king like this? Don’t you know who you’re dealing with?!? :brow:
  • Banno
    I don't much care about the case, except for this:

Prime Minister Scott Morrison said on Monday that Djokovic was subjected to treatment that was "the same as everyone else".

It wasn't. It was instead about privilege. Djokovic case exposes unfair treatment of refugees in Australia
  • Streetlight
    https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/australia-commits-to-3-5-billion-tank-purchase-from-the-us-20220109-p59mub.html

"Australia has not deployed a tank in combat since the Vietnam War."

$3.5 billion on tanks.

But we "can't afford" a decent public health response.

I guess the Americanization of Australia continues apace.

The warmongering fear over China is no doubt in the background of this bullshit.

Also apologies but I couldn't care less about Djokovic and if him and the government continue slinging poo at each other forever that would be totally fine. Every word spilled on entitled man who hit ball good is a word wasted.
  • Streetlight
    https://acmeanjin.org/articles/why-everything-has-gone-wrong-with-covid-19/

The capitalist class in Australia wants to get back into the world economy. Certainly, mineral exports have been going gangbusters all along, but tourism and education, two huge export industries, have been closed down for over a year and the businesses in that sector are desperate to get going again. Capital also wants access to temporary migrant workers to be restored. Because their temporary status puts them at the mercy of employers, they are often employed at illegally low wage rates. Farmers and other bosses who make major use of this scam have been complaining bitterly about labour shortages.

The success of public health authorities in suppressing COVID-19 and then eliminating it from internal circulation (apart from periodic breaches in hotel quarantine) has produced a major problem for capitalism. Keeping COVID-19 out of the community has been greatly welcomed, but has led to the population being reluctant to rejoin the global economy while the virus is rampant overseas. Business has therefore had to pressure its political representatives to come up with a solution.

The solution that the political representatives developed? Letting COVID rip. ... Criticisms of what is occurring haven’t been rare, but they have been misplaced in their direction. We are not witnessing the result of incompetence from politicians or governments, rather we are seeing the results of a thought out strategy designed and implemented by the state to benefit capital at the expense of working class lives.
  • Streetlight
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01-11/how-the-omicron-covid-19-outbreak-is-affecting-nsw/100749102

Spending data analysed by ANZ last week indicated economic activity plummeting to levels lower than any other time during the pandemic. "We're now facing economic situations that are worse than if we'd had an actual lockdown," said economist Jim Stanford, director of the Centre for Future Work. ... With cases expected to peak in mid-January, analysts from Mr Stanford's team have predicted up to a third of workers in NSW could be in isolation in the weeks ahead.

So here's the question. If there is, in fact, an shadow/effective lockdown which is devastating the economy anyway, what real benefit is there of not declaring an actual lockdown, or instituting/heightening public health measures?

There's only one answer: such health measures can no longer be used to benefit the friends of the government - the Harvey Normans and so on. We've already had an enormous transfer of public wealth into private hands, and because they can't get away with it again, they don't see the point in instituting any further such measures. What the liberals call 'the economy' is really 'their friends'. And their friends can't benefit this time around, so the actual economy, which they are always crowing about, can go to hell.
  • frank
    So here's the question. If there is, in fact, an shadow/effective lockdown which is devastating the economy anyway, what real benefit is there of not declaring an actual lockdownStreetlightX

Declaring a lockdown now would squash whatever economic activity you have with no benefit. The coronaviruses are becoming endemic.
  • Streetlight
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01-12/covid-supply-chain-crisis-economy/100750814

Marxist theory of value in the ABC. Things are looking up.

Australians are getting a stark reminder about how value is actually created in an economy, and how supply chains truly work. ... Labour — human beings getting out of bed and going to work, using their brains and brawn to produce actual goods and services — is the only thing that adds value to the "free gifts" we harvest from nature. It's the only thing that puts food on supermarket shelves, cares for sick people and teaches our children.

The economy doesn't work if people can't work. So the first economic priority during a pandemic must be to keep people healthy enough to keep working, producing, delivering and buying. That some political and business leaders have, from the outset of COVID-19, consistently downplayed the economic costs of mass illness, reflects a narrow, distorted economic lens. We're now seeing the result — one of the worst public policy failures in Australia's history.

The result is an unprecedented, and preventable, economic catastrophe. This catastrophe was visited upon us by leaders — NSW Premier Dominic Perrotet and Prime Minister Scott Morrison in particular — on the grounds they were protecting the economy. Like a mafia kingpin extorting money, this is the kind of "protection" that can kill you.
  • Wayfarer
    :up: glad someone has said it!
  • baker
    Sue him! Sue the motherfucker and motherfuckin deport him! What are you waiting for?!!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.