• Michael
    The software can only do what it currently does.
  • Mongrel
    Fine. Should that change at some point, I hope you keep my suggestion in mind.
  • Michael
    I think there's some misunderstanding here. jamlrob has no control over what the software can do. It's like Facebook, only we pay to use it. So there's nothing for us to keep in mind. Any functionality requests need to be sent to PlushForums.
  • Mongrel
    Packaging wouldn't be a function change. I'm not sure why you're stuck on that.
  • Michael
    There's no such thing as "packaging". What we do is define a list of categories and then when a user posts a discussion they select which category to publish it to.
  • Mongrel
    So it is doable, there just isn't anybody who has the time to do it. Thus I said keep it in mind in case that changes and someone wants to experiment with making the forum more attractive to readers.
  • Baden
    So it is doable, there just isn't anybody who has the time to do it. Thus I said keep it in mind in case that changes and someone wants to experiment with making the forum more attractive to readeMongrel

I'm not an expert on this so I don't fully understand the changes you're talking about, but we can change the categories in which discussions are placed; we can add new ones or add sub-categories or combine categories etc. and that doesn't take long to do.

Oh, and a couple of us are going to work out some sort of "Ask the philosopher" deal. Are you cool with that?Mongrel

If this means add a category called "Ask the philosopher" somewhere and you can explain more about it, it might be doable.
  • Jamal
    Oh, and a couple of us are going to work out some sort of "Ask the philosopher" deal. Are you cool with that?Mongrel

What is it and what does it involve? Sounds fine though.
  • Mongrel
    I'm getting a "Resistance is futile" vibe from Yaha. The Ask the Philosopher will just be some threads. No bother.
  • Agustino
    So it is doable, there just isn't anybody who has the time to do it. Thus I said keep it in mind in case that changes and someone wants to experiment with making the forum more attractive to readers.Mongrel
    No - it actually isn't doable. They have no direct control as far as I understand on what js scripts are running on the forums, what php code, or the forum's css, and they can only affect html structure in ways which are permitted by the software. Maybe the software allows them to select a series of "themes" as well, I have no clue as I never used Plush.
  • Agustino
    Just take yo ass and google PlushForums on google :P , and then go to images - you'll see they all have the same structure. We technically have a blog as well - it's in the "Articles" section. That one is actually built like a blog.
  • Michael
    Looking at that @jamalrob, why did you go for the separate Articles site rather than the integrated blog?
  • Agustino
    why did you go for the separate Articles site rather than the integrated blog?Michael
    It is a blog, but he disabled features of it, such as who can post articles, etc. I think. If you go to the articles, on the left hand corner you have a menu which opens up, which is a blog menu.
  • Agustino
    Jamalrob has undertaken state control of the means of production for fuck's sake! >:O
  • Michael
    I'm not sure what you mean there, but this articles site uses Silvrback.
  • Mongrel
    Don't you have some camels to feed?
  • Baden
    I'm getting a "Resistance is futile" vibe from Yaha. The Ask the Philosopher will just be some threads. No bother.Mongrel

I think there may have been some crossed wires there. Your idea sounds interesting. Just lay it out and we may be able to implement it.
  • Agustino
    Don't you have some camels to feed?Mongrel
    Camels?! No, I'm busy with straw dogs... do you want one? I can send you an authentic Mongolian straw hot dog :D
  • Mongrel
    Ok. I'm actually confused about how much energy to put into it. I'll write out something like a pitch. Couple of paragraphs.
  • Mongrel
    I'll take one with mustard. Now go practice your I Ching.
  • Jamal
    Looking at that jamalrob, why did you go for the separate Articles site rather than the integrated blog?Michael

In the beginning we had big plans to publish a lot of high-quality articles in a nice format--that was one of @Hanover's ideas, I think--and an independent platform seemed like good decision. I expected more article submissions than we got. As it turned out, we only got three, only one of them was any good--and they were all mine anyway.
  • Jamal
    No - it actually isn't doable. They have no direct control as far as I understand on what js scripts are running on the forums, what php code, or the forum's css, and they can only affect html structure in ways which are permitted by the software. Maybe the software allows them to select a series of "themes" as well, I have no clue as I never used Plush.Agustino

You may be interested to learn that Plush is based on a fork of Vanilla Forums.
  • Jamal
    Jamalrob has undertaken state control of the means of production for fuck's sake!Agustino

I and the rest of the staff are but servants of you, the people.
  • Mongrel
    I see from looking at other plush forums that there is blog capability. I don't really like it though.

I don't believe they can do what I had in mind.
  • Baden

Well, at least the conversation does give me some food for thought. It may be time to consider getting some published philosophers to contribute. I think we have the profile for it now.
  • Mongrel
    Sure. Go for it. My thought was put together specific questions, email them off, and then publish the answers in a thread.

In a thread a while back, I emailed Chalmers, Soames, and some random professor in Canada in order to get views on a conflict between myself and another poster. Chalmers answered with one sentence. Soames gave a paragraph and direction to an online essay he wrote (which was very helpful). The random professor spent more time explaining the complexities. I thought it might be cool to do something like that again with an issue like semantic atomism/molecularism/holism, knowledge internalism/externalism, and other such.

Plus any questions to David Lewis would interest me. I can't afford his book. :(
  • Michael
    Chalmers answered with one sentence. Soames gave a paragraph and direction to an online essay he wrote (which was very helpful). The random professor spent more time explaining the complexities.Mongrel

Priest would have told you to go buy his book. :P
  • Thorongil
    Not sure if this has been suggested, but there should be the ability to preview PMs before sending them.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.