• John Doe
    It has struck me for a while now that the forum could perhaps use a thread for what me might call small or tiny requests, times where you might want to ask questions about a book, author, quotation, or topic, but don't feel the question merits its own thread. Questions like "Does anyone know the source of this quote?" or "Anyone have thoughts on how best to go about reading Delueze for the first time?" or even reasonable homework requests like "I'm having trouble understanding what 'isomorphism' means and I have a test on Tuesday!"

There have been a lot of these threads in recent weeks, people asking tiny questions about quotation sources, secondary literature on Wittgenstein, and about the use of terminology in Aristotle. This thread would offer people a single, straight-forward place to ask those sorts of questions, or at least a place for people who might have a question pop into mind that they would like to ask but might otherwise not because they worry it doesn't deserve its own thread.

For example, I'd be interested to know if anyone has any recommendations on the best recent (last 5-10 years) scholarship on Kierkegaard, Nietzsche and Arendt.

Anyway, I don't know if this goes against the spirit of the Questions sub-forum (if so please delete this) but there have been a few times now that I've had a question were I wouldn't want to start a whole thread that sticks to the front page but wouldn't mind throwing out in a thread that anyone could come bother with if they felt like it.

Thanks!
  • Streetlight
    I realize we didn't reply to this, but we had a small discussion over in Mt. Mod, and we decided against it. It was a case of letting those small question threads bloom into their own discussions if possible, and also, the questions category is an appropriate one for them. The price might be some clutter, but we think it's an OK one to pay. Cheers for the suggestion though.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.