• Mr Bee
    What about the sixties was so bad?
  • Hippyhead
    I'm starting to think Trump is just writing a script for the next phase of his career.

Trump isn't an ideologist, he's a business man. And renting his name is his business. And his name is supposed to be equivalent to being a winner. He can't afford to leave office as the loser who was fired, so he's crafting an alternate story line, the brave outsider who was cheated by the system etc.

I'm guessing we may see him start something like TrumpTV, his own media network. He'll go from being king to a king maker, a pretty common career path for politicians out of power. Think Rush Limbaugh on steroids, no direct power, but tons of influence.
  • Hippyhead
    What about the sixties was so bad?Mr Bee

Riots in the streets of major cities, heavy death toll in Vietnam, assassinations (and attempted assassinations) of leading political figures, massive cultural upheaval on almost every front, hyper-divisiveness etc. The Cuban Missile Crisis! A firestorm that came, and then went.
  • Metaphysician Undercover
    Well Trump's gonna contest the results in with his 6-3 SCOTUS and hopes they're as eager to dismantle democracy as he is. If enough people think he actually won then he thinks he could get away with it.Mr Bee

I think he plays more to his base group of supporters, looking for an uprising from them, by insinuating illegal activities such as voting after the deadline, adding stacks of illegitimate ballots, etc.. That's why his go-to phrase is they're trying to "steal" the election.
  • Mr Bee
    All of the things you listed (with the exception of Civil Rights) are problems facing America as a nation, not problems with America as a nation. Alot of the problems, the divisiveness, the corruption of congress, the tainted judicial system, the distrust of the media, etc. are not ones that can easily be fixed. I don't think that the country was as divided as it is now, at least not politically. If you look at the electoral maps from back then then you can see that every state was a swing state. Nowadays, despite everything that happened, you're still talking about a close race decided on very narrow margins in a few states. Heck, we're still waiting on the final results now.
  • Hippyhead
    I don't think that the country was as divided as it is now, at least not politically.Mr Bee

Were you there?
  • Mr Bee
    Nope, but I can do research on what elections were like back then.
  • Wayfarer
    It seems today that Biden wlll get home. What I wrote yestrdaty was mostly a refelction of the shock I felt that it wasn't the convincing repudiation of Trump that was expected. Still can't figure out how so many people voted for him after all that's been said and done. But, any win is a win, and a Biden win will be a major turning point.
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    it wasn't the convincing repudiation of Trump that was expected.Wayfarer

I have to disagree that a vote for Biden is a repudiation of Trump. A vote for Biden (or Trump, it doesn't matter) is to keep playing the same game and support "politics as usual". As long as Republicans or Democrats are running things, everything is going to continue getting shittier.

I really hope Biden gets elected so all those suckers (those idiots who think he is an actual choice that will make a difference) will see him run America further into the ground. I predict that when Biden's term expires, America will be fucked up so much worse, that Trump will look like Mother Teresa in comparison. (Just look at how Bush's tyranny, which was incomparably more horrific than anything done by Trump, has been virtually forgotten about because of how terrible things seem to be now).

If ever there was a time for the populace to make a stand against the status quo and vote en masse for a third party, it was this round. But alas, Americans en masse, are excruciatingly dumb and cowardly
  • Kenosha Kid
    Well Trump's gonna contest the results in with his 6-3 SCOTUS and hopes they're as eager to dismantle democracy as he is. If enough people think he actually won then he thinks he could get away with it.Mr Bee

They don't seem to be doing his bidding thus far. Take a hint, Donald.

So many of his tweets being blocked by Twitter now...
  • Hippyhead
    Nope, but I can do research on what elections were like back thenMr Bee

There was way more to the sixties than elections in the way of conflict. But speaking of elections...

Kennedy - killed in office

Johnson - refused to run again

Nixon - resigned in disgrace
  • Jamal
    You're forgetting, HH: everything right now is the worst it could ever be and we're at the final crisis point.

As always. :wink:
  • Jamal
    You called?

EDIT: oh I see, no: Hippyhead.
  • Benkei
    Will people continue to call Trump "Mr. President" after he's no longer President as US citizens tend to do?
  • Hippyhead
    Ha, ha! Yea, the end is near, as always.

I think one of the reasons such an unlikely person as Trump was so successful (note the past tense!) is that he's a perfect match for the needs of corporate media. Their business model depends on the use of drama to build audience and ad revenues. Trump provides drama in abundance, and they reward that service with billions of dollars of free advertising (round the clock coverage of his every utterance).

Point being, when we're getting all our information through a system built upon drama and profit, the end will always be near.

I get most of my news from NPR. It's been interesting to observe that they are obviously not Trump fans, but they do a 3 hour special every time he farts.

We've been suckered by a world class troll folks.
  • Hippyhead
    Will people continue to call Trump "Mr. President" after he's no longer President as US citizens tend to do?Benkei

I suggest we do with Trump what we do, or should do, with trolls on the forum. Ignore him entirely. Ok, easier said than done, gotta admit, but that's the direction we should be aiming for.

A key problem is that even we Trump haters reward his behavior by giving him exactly what he wants, our attention.
  • Benkei
    I'm not A Trump hater. More like a Trump ridiculer. I hate the US system though.
  • Hippyhead
    Still can't figure out how so many people voted for him after all that's been said and done.Wayfarer

That's been a revelation for sure. It's a common cliche that people are stupid, but the width and depth of it is still shocking when seen in the full light of day. I don't know why I am surprised really, given that every other person in traffic tailgates us, risking everyone's lives, for literally no reason at all. I think I might be one of the stupid people too, or 68 years should have cured me of being shocked at any of this. :-)

Perhaps Trump is a canary in the coal mine, alerting us to the fact that vast swaths of the American public have lost faith in our institutions, and are thus ready to reach for radical alternatives. Trump will soon be gone, but unless that faith is restored some version of him is likely to return.

Many have correctly observed that this is not limited to America, but is happening all over the world. I think that tells us something important, and will analyze further in another thread.
  • Hippyhead
    I hate the US system thoughBenkei

How fashionable! :-)
  • Jamal
    My wife is pro-Trump. What should I do?
  • Michael
    My wife is pro-Trump. What should I do?jamalrob

Agree to never talk U.S politics again and forget about it.
  • Hippyhead
    My wife is pro-Trump. What should I do?jamalrob

Oh dear, so sorry.

We have a similar situation. My wife and I are on the same page. But my wife's sister, whom she is VERY close to, inhales Fox News and believes every word. They're dealing with their divide well enough, but it is painful for my wife who truly hates Trump to a degree I've never seen her hate any other person on Earth.

Having someone in the family who finds Fox New credible has helped bring the reality of the situation home to me. Perhaps strangely, I don't resent the sister because her political views are so immature that, on this subject at least, I relate to her as one would an eight year old child. You know, I have no expectations, and so am not disappointed.
  • Jamal
    In fact, it's not a problem. I presented it like that for fun, just to see how you'd all react.

It's rational. She's Russian and wants the best for her country. The Democrats are the anti-Russia party, and there's the expectation of new sanctions and other economic problems that will likely get worse with Biden in charge.
  • Hippyhead
    Here's a formula to consider:

Ignore Trump, Embrace His Base

If we're serious as Dems we should be looking for every possible point of agreement with Trump's base, every opportunity to show respect. Here's a few examples, perhaps you can add more.

1) IMMIGRATION: The population of the US had doubled in my life time. It's not unreasonable for people to be questioning (as I do) how much farther in that direction we wish to go. It's not unreasonable for people to desire that we have control over our borders. It's not unreasonable to consider that new people be allowed in the country based on their ability to make a contribution.

2) ABORTION: It's not unreasonable for people to wish to place limits on the killing of babies. We don't kill senior citizens when they become inconvenient, right?

3) GLOBALIZATION: It's not unreasonable for people to conclude that both political parties have done a poor job of managing the impact of globalization on American workers. By failing to protect the workers in the affected industries, we Dems have helped bring on "America First".

4) RADICALS: Both Dems and Repubs have shown considerable interest in candidates far outside the traditional American political mainstream. It's not just the other fellow who is doing this.

Readers are of course free to begin arguing with all of the above in a highly predictable manner. The price tag for clinging to such procedures is that we'll be forever trapped in divisiveness, and razor close elections, that we often won't win.

One of the factors that brought us Trump is a longstanding pattern of snotty Democratic disrespect towards conservatives, rural voters, working people etc. Hillary Clinton's "basket of deplorables" being the easiest example.

It's fun to parade around in our supposed moral and intellectual superiority, but one of the price tags for that is a Supreme Court stuffed with conservatives for the next generation.
  • Hippyhead
    In fact, it's not a problem. I presented it like that for fun, just to see how you'd all react.jamalrob

Another troll! Jamalrob For President in 2024!!! :-)
  • Kenosha Kid
    So as far as I can tell, the protests are currently:

Democrats nationwide: Count Every Vote
    Republicans in states where Biden leads: Count Every Vote
    Republicans in counties where Biden leads in otherwise Trump-centric states: Stop Counting Votes
    Republicans in states where Trump leads: Stop Counting Votes
  • Hippyhead
    Busy sorryjamalrob

Aha, playing hard to get, a clever strategy which builds desire and demand. Make the people beg you. Brilliant!
  • Jamal
    Well, it's not up to me. My people will decide.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.