• BC
    ↪Wayfarer To be honest, I think typical conservatives are better at divorcing people from subjects and will happily vote for a douche if that means they get what they want. So Trump's behaviour is totally irrelevant to them as it should be. It should've been irrelevant to Democrats as well.Benkei

A given conservative may not like aspects of Donald Trump, but in what he says--and how he says it--they see something very likable. They may not have much in the way of health insurance, but they do believe in reducing the weight of the government. Millions of Americans have had a hard on to cut the federal budget ever since there was a federal budget. They may be losing ground economically, but they don't see taxation as a tool of the 1% used against them. So when Trump flails away about cutting taxes, they like that.

The average conservative probably does not want to see the police gunning down every demonstrator marching for civil rights, safer streets, civil protection, a just economy (etc, etc, etc,) but they don't like seeing black people marching in large numbers; they don't want to see high school students demanding environmental protection. Why should that half-assed 17 year old be judging me for driving a SUV? There is a lot of stuff they just don't like at all, and Trump seems to be against what they are against,

There is nothing uniquely American about this. American politics are uniquely American, of course, but other countries have their own uniquely embarrassing practices and experiences.
  • Wayfarer
    I believe Biden is still on track to win but was really hoping for a more decisive vote.
  • Noble Dust

It doesn't show "how much we're able to put up with", it just shows how divided our country is, which is no shock to anyone.
  • Mr Bee
    It shows how much they are willing to put up with to own the other side. Trump literally left his supporters out in the cold but they were still going to vote for him.
  • Noble Dust

With a few caveats, as someone raised in a conservative American world, I think your comments are pretty close to the reality.
  • Baden

Fair enough. Not gaining the Senate is bad though that was always a toss up.
  • Noble Dust

Eh? You're still making the argument that how close it is "shows" X right?
  • Noble Dust

Damn, forget I said that. *Knocks on wood*
  • Mr Bee
    Given everything that happened in these past 4 years, the last year in particular, then yeah, I think the results are telling even if Biden wins.
  • BC
    Those 100,000,000 mail in ballots are not all counted yet -- it's a slower process than scanning ballots at a poling station. The suspense is awful.
  • BC
    Nice outfit. Who is the depressed person supposed to be?
  • Noble Dust

I probably score high on "superstitious" when it comes to philosophy forum member questionaries. I'm embarrassed to say that not only do I trust my spidey-sense...it trusts me.
  • _db
    Me, us, everyone, idk
  • BC
    I can associate with the down feelings of the man in red. God, I just don't want to put up with another 4 years of that fucking asshole!
  • Benkei
    Anecdotal observations I suppose. It seems to mirror people's intuitions on "the end justifies the means".
  • Noble Dust

Fair enough. I can offer more than anecdotal observations, if anyone is interested.
  • Benkei
    I certainly am.
  • Noble Dust

To your point, the "typical conservatives" I know in the town where I grew up are not "good at divorcing people from subjects". They are very emotionally intelligent people. They comprise a very tight knit community of people who all have very similar values. As to "what they want", they want that tight knit community to remain in place. I don't agree with them politically, but this is the most balanced picture I can paint of them. <edited out the cheesy last sentence>
  • Noble Dust

As I re-read the post I made, I realize this is anecdotal evidence, not "more than anecdotal". Oh well.
  • Baden
    Lol. Trump just declared victory and told election officials to stop counting votes.

Moron.
  • Benkei
    Yeah, I was hoping for some research.
  • Noble Dust

Sorry. I figure some actual anecdotal observations are better than musings from across the pond.
  • Benkei
    As if we don't have conservatives in the Netherlands.
  • Mr Bee
    And we will likely see increased public unrest no matter which way those votes fall. Also soon the SCOTUS will dismantle the ACA in the middle of an out of control pandemic in an economy that's collapsing without any of the much needed stimulus passing or having any hope of passing at this point. Like I said in the other election thread, the US is fucked and frankly the people deserve it.
  • Noble Dust

Since it's the American election I just assumed we were talking about it.
  • Pfhorrest
    Am I the only one who knows Biden is going to win?Baden

I am reasonably confident that Biden will win the presidency, but much less confident that the Democrats will take control of the Senate, which IMO is a much bigger deal.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.