• praxis
    He’ll get more done in quarantine than Biden has done in 47 years.NOS4A2

The problem is the attention span of the Trump rally-goer is probably about the length of a gnats, and that’s why he’s forced to do so many of them. In his estimation they must all be losers so it’s doubtful he enjoys their company.
  • magritte
    Trump has a bigger button
  • tim wood
    And we know Trump has Covid how?
  • Maw
    I'm actually his doctor. He has it
  • Maw
    I haven't felt this good since Sanders won Nevada
  • Michael
    And we know Trump has Covid how?tim wood

He hasn't Tweeted in 15 hours.
  • SophistiCat
    y24yz0qaxsirbbrq.jpg

Santorum saying the quiet part loud.StreetlightX

Life imitates outdoes The Onion.

Same day:

Stunned Pundits Criticize Trump For Refusing To Denounce His Base

CLEVELAND—After failing to condemn the group’s violent behavior and rhetoric during the first presidential debate, President Donald Trump came under fire from stunned political pundits Wednesday for refusing to denounce his base. “I’ve been reporting on these debates for decades, and frankly, I don’t know what the president was thinking when he declined to clearly and openly disavow thousands of violent, radicalized people who his reelection dearly depends on,” said ABC’s George Stephanopoulos, who, along with flabbergasted pundits from CNN, MSNBC, and CBS, noted that the president had several opportunities to distance himself from the people upon which his entire image, campaign, and presidency relied, and yet ignored them all. “How can Trump, as the sitting president, get away with this type of behavior that he’s totally normalized at every turn? It really shouldn’t be that hard for him to look at the camera, say their names, and then denounce his stalwart supporters whose votes are crucial for an election victory.” At press time, political pundits blasted Democratic candidate Joe Biden for refusing to explicitly denounce the extreme pro-Green New Deal rhetoric on the left.
    The Onion, Wednesday 12:35PM
  • creativesoul
    I haven't felt this good since Sanders won NevadaMaw

:rofl:

Hard for me to feel guilty about knowing that the world is better off without some people in it. While I would not wish or hope death upon anyone, I certainly would not lose any sleep and would undoubtedly feel an odd sense of dark joyfulness should some people die.

Jane's Addiction said, "Some people should die... that's just unconscious knowledge"
  • Michael
    White House SCOTUS announcement is suspected as Covid super-spreader event as video shows infected senator hugging attendees

It is looking increasingly possible that Saturday’s White House ceremony in which president Donald Trump named his nominee for the vacancy on the Supreme Court may have been a coronavirus superspreader event.

Video emerged on Friday of Republican Senator Mike Lee of Utah, who has since tested positive for the virus, enthusiastically hugging other attendees. He is also seen holding his mask in his hand.

Almost no one is seen wearing a mask at the Rose Garden announcement that Judge Amy Coney Barrett is nominated to the court.

Judge Barrett’s colleague, the president of Notre Dame Reverend John Jenkins has also tested positive. In an email to students, faculty, and staff, he wrote: “I regret my error of judgment in not wearing a mask during the ceremony and by shaking hands with a number of people in the Rose Garden.”

A Trump administration press staffer and a journalist have also tested positive, but are unidentified at present.
  • Mayor of Simpleton
    Indeed I'm an atheist, but I can't help but think maybe Ruth Bader Ginsburg just won her first court case against god.

hmm...?
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Wow
    Interesting responses....
    Be very careful what you wish for...
  • _db
    I think that’s understandable because by claiming that Trump won the debate suggests that you value his “stream roller” strategy or that your prefer a bully to a moderate. It was certainly a winning strategy for his base, but then he doesn’t need to win them. He already owns them. I think Biden probably did a better job at reaching the undecided, but who knows.praxis

I felt it was more along the lines of: shut up and stop spreading doubt even if you feel that way; now is not the time to doubt the candidate or point out his flaws, because it's too late to fix anything.

The debate was supposed to be conducted based on agreed-upon rules. Trump blatantly violated and disregarded these rules, and Biden barely did anything about it. Instead he complained to the moderator and the crowd and said a few meek comebacks. Where the hell was his resolve? Where the hell was his strength? Watching the debate unfold was a chilling experience where I thought: holy shit Biden is weak.

Perhaps I'm being too cynical, but I came away from the debate feeling two things:
    • Biden needs to win over Trump
    • Biden might not be able to win over Trump

It was like waiting for the cavalry to arrive only to see a few ponies instead. Fuuuuuuuuck.

Maybe I should just shut up about this until the election is over so I don't inadvertently help Trump.
  • Relativist
    He’ll get more done in quarantine than Biden has done in 47 yearsNOS4A2
    Right- if watching FOX during every waking moment can be considered "getting things done".
  • ssu
    White House SCOTUS announcement is suspected as Covid super-spreader event as video shows infected senator hugging attendeesMichael

Pretty incredible. Only the military officers have systematically masks while I count about three other people wearing masks. And lots of hugs and handshakes. Well, if that's the attitude towards a pandemic...

• Relativist
    The debate was supposed to be conducted based on agreed-upon rules. Trump blatantly violated and disregarded these rules, and Biden barely did anything about it.darthbarracuda
    Biden did the right thing. Had he acted as badly as Trump, he'd have shared equal blame and shame. The net result is that Trump's performance was the only thing memorable about the night, and it is not a positive memory. Trump gained no votes, and Biden didn't lose any.
  • Relativist
    Pretty incredible. Only the military officers have systematically masks while I count about three people wearing masks. And lots of hugs and handshakes.ssu
    I hate to wish pain or death on anyone, but the Trump supporters may actually learn to take Covid seriously if a bunch of infections arise from this event.
  • magritte
    Biden needs to win over Trump
    Biden might not be able to win over Trump
    darthbarracuda

I don't think Biden people had such high expectations. It is quite enough that he out-lasted the personal pressure of lies and insults that melted Trump's republican rivals in 2016. If Biden is old, Trump looks about as old.
  • Punshhh
    Trump has just been taken into hospital, a precautionary measure apparently. Although, the White House has a full medical facility.
  • magritte
    I hate to wish pain or death on anyoneRelativist

A long prison term would be more humane.
  • ssu
    I think at least one Republican senator has learned his lesson, I guess.

Yet still blows my mind that people act in this way. Heck, I haven't shaken hands or hugged anybody (except my family members) since the state of emergency was declared back in the spring, even if I attended a funeral of a very close friend. But perhaps it's easy for Finns to stay away.
  • creativesoul
    Trump has just been taken into hospital...Punshhh

Is this verified? Who's reporting this?
  • Michael
    Is this verified? Who's reporting this?creativesoul

The White House reported it.
  • Punshhh
    BBC, the helicopter is about to leave The White House.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-54396670
  • creativesoul

The lack of respect/concern for the pandemic is the direct result of false and/or irrelevant belief about it. That is in no short supply. The effects/affects of Trump are more than evident. Elections have consequences.

I just traveled to another state for a week to visit a dying family member, spending the nights in a hotel alone the entire time. Picked that hotel as a result of all the complaints in the current reviews. You see, all sorts of people were complaining about how strict that particular hotel was regarding the covid regs. Yep! That's the one I want! The one that at least attempts to enforce social distancing measures. Unfortunately, the usual breakfast spread was a no-go. Boo.

:wink:

The lack of general concern(or perhaps understanding) of the people in the area regarding the seriousness and/or danger of the pandemic was astounding. It is a Trump stronghold. He was actually there at the airport the day before my departure. Glad I missed him. I carried clorox bleach disinfectant wipes everywhere... just in case some of the Trump supporters wanted to take his words to heart and swallow them. Kidding. I did wipe down everything everywhere as if I was some sort of compulsive germaphobe; changed my mask often, and practiced social distancing nearly all the time.

I also had to exercise a considerable amount of restraint while there. I so much wanted to take a baseball bat and knock down as many Trump/Pence signs as I could, and then take pictures. I refrained.

:smirk:

I'm now in the middle of my own quarantine. Adjusting to accomodate all the regs was a cumbersome but necessary safeguard. I'll be glad to touch my better half a week from now. She is currently staying with her family who lives nearby as a result of my possible exposure. My immune system is strong. I've no symptoms at all, but that does not mean that I have not contracted the virus. I could be one of the forty percent or so of people who are asymptomatic. So, I'm happily quarantining to protect others... her especially. She's at much higher risk.

By the way, in my state we've had multiple family gatherings turn out to be super-spreader events. There are very big and close-knit families here! That's where people are most likely to be hugging and in close contact. It was very hard for me to refrain from hugging my own family members as well, especially given that that may turn out to be the last time I see one of them, so I hugged him with all I had.
  • creativesoul
    The Biden campaign said it was in the process of temporarily taking down all its negative ads regarding Mr Trump.

Negative ads? Pfft.

How about using truthful ones regardless? It's not as if the Trump campaign is going to stop. What sort of sense does this make?
  • Kenosha Kid
    Don't be the sort of person who wishes someone dead. Don't be the sort of person who wishes someone dead. Don't be the sort of person who wishes someone dead.

I wish Trump a speedy cremation.

Ah tits.
  • Mayor of Simpleton

Do you too have the notion that folks who wouldn't wish something bad like this on their absolute worst enemy are people who have never actually had an absolute worst enemy?
  • Maw
    Wishing Trump well or denouncing those hoping he dies/suffers implies that he exists in some sort of moral vacuum; that he has had no actual impact on people's lives in the last 4 years, not to mention his entire lifetime. This is a man who explicitly said earlier this year than he knew the virus would be deadly, but downplayed it because he didn't want the American people to panic. Now we have over 200,000 Americans dead, and hundreds of thousands more whose lives are irreparably changed because they lost loved ones, suffer from long term effects after having recovered, lost their jobs or businesses, etc. Expressing sympathy for Trump and denouncing those who don't is just vacuous moral signaling; an attempt to display moral high ground when it in fact signals the opposite.
  • Michael
    Wishing Trump well or denouncing those hoping he dies/suffers implies that he exists in some sort of moral vacuum; that he has had no actual impact on people's lives in the last 4 years, not to mention his entire lifetime. This is a man who explicitly said earlier this year than he knew the virus would be deadly, but downplayed it because he didn't want the American people to panic. Now we have over 200,000 Americans dead, and hundreds of thousands more whose lives are irreparably changed because they lost loved ones, suffer from long term effects after having recovered, lost their jobs or businesses, etc. Expressing sympathy for Trump and denouncing those who don't is just vacuous moral signaling; an attempt to display moral high ground when it in fact signals the opposite.Maw

Well, I oppose the death penalty, so it's only fitting that I don't want someone – anyone – to die from a sickness, whatever their character and culpability.
  • Maw
    Well, I oppose the death penalty, so it's only fitting that I don't want someone – anyone – to die from a sickness.Michael

Dying from the death penalty, a government sanctioned punishment, seems to me to be very different from a disease.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.