• Relativist
    Crossfire Hurricane was set up to investigate whether individuals associated with President Trump's campaign was coordinating with the Russian government's efforts to interfere in the 2016 U.S. presidential election.

The problem is that they investigated the wrong campaign
    NOS4A2
    Wikileaks published information provided by Russians. Roger Stone coordinated with Wikileaks and lied to investigators. That's pretty strong reason to investigate.

The problem is that they investigated the wrong campaign.NOS4A2
    What evidence is there of coordination between the Clinton campaign and the Russians?
  • BitconnectCarlos
    They’re idiots, as far as white supremacists go. They don’t even realize that their leader is a black Cuban.NOS4A2

They've got one of those Dave Chapelle, black white supremacist scenarios going - the black Cuban is obviously blind and doesn't know he's black and the proud boys leadership make sure to cover his head everytime he meets with the other proud boys so they don't know.

In all seriousness though the term "white supremacist" as well as "racist" - racist especially - have become absolutely meaningless these days. It use to mean actual Nazis and KKK, but now it's basically just all conservatives and probably libertarians. It's really a shame what's happened to political discourse lately, it's barely worth it anymore. I'm worried about someone just being labeled a racist for whatever reason and therefore being denied a platform. It's the ultimate insult today. Shut them down. Don't let the racist speak.
  • _db
    Putting down some thoughts of mine.

Trump successfully derailed the debate and made Biden appear weak. He repeatedly insulted Biden, insinuating that, whatever bad things have happened during his administration, under Biden it would have been even worse. He did the way of the bully - make himself look big by making others look small. His strategy was, the best defense is an offense. Just attack, attack, attack.

Unfortunately one of the problems with Biden was that he had a limited range of emotional expression. It was boring to look at him, his voice had no inflection. Trump was good at getting and keeping your attention. I watched Trump more than I watched Biden, even when Biden was talking, so I wasn't always really listening to what Biden was saying. Biden can say facts but as long as nobody is listening and is paying attention to Trump instead, it won't matter. Biden was almost just background noise at some points. He would laugh and look down when Trump went on the attack, just passively taking it. He hardly ever looked Trump, and it made it seem like he was scared of him.

On the other hand, Trump used the two minute segments to cram as many sound bytes in as possible, just strings of tangentially-related ideas that frequently spilled over into other unrelated topics. He would grip his podium and glare at Biden when he spoke, which made him seem physically dominant. Trump tried to make sure he was the last person to make a point, so that his point would be the one you remembered, not Biden's. That Biden for the most part did not interrupt Trump, and the fact that there was no fact-checking or mic muting meant that Trump had the spotlight. Trump can be entertaining to watch, what's he gonna do next, what's in his bag of tricks? He can also be funny, he made Wallace chuckle several times.

I do not endorse Ben Garrison's political views, however I felt his cartoon more or less summarized how I felt the debate went:

EjKw6yjUwAA4Wix.jpg

By the last quarter of the debate though I was pretty fed up with Trump's antics. Trump seemed to be exhausted. This was when Biden seized the opportunity and finally asserted himself. Fucking finally man, goddamn.

If we define "winning the debate" as "garnering more support than the other candidate does", then after my first watching of the debate, I thought Trump "won". I'm relieved to see I was wrong - according to this, it seems that Trump's approval rating went marginally down, while Biden's went marginally up.

I look forward to the upcoming debates, which appear will be handled differently. Hopefully reason will be able to be heard.
  • Streetlight
    Tbh I don't think they should change the formats of the debates at all. Trump is showing who he is. Let him.
  • Mr Bee
    He's been showing who he is for 4 years. To be honest it's amazing that some people are even surprised at how much of a moronic jackass he can be when that's all that we've been hearing about him since 2015.

If the next debates are gonna be the incoherent mess that it was two days ago, then people are just gonna tune out which would probably just help Biden since he's in the lead and Trump's the one who needs to change up the race.
  • Streetlight
    If the next debates are gonna be the incoherent mess that it was two days ago, then people are just gonna tune outMr Bee

Every time Trump has to speak in long-form (as with the Axios interview a few months back), he shows up for what he really is: a complete moron. What usually allows him to get away with it are the short, soundbite formats where he can quip then change the conversation. He's a meme president. He speaks in memes.

These 'debates', for all their general worthlessness, demand ever so slightly more than that. Which is why he's trying so damned hard to turn into a wild compilation of soundbites. The man literally cannot speak for more than 15 seconds before his brain juice short-circuits. 90 minutes? You get the shitfuckery of debate, and everyone knows who is responsible for it.
  • praxis
    I thought Trump "won"darthbarracuda

That’s remarkable for someone with 3k+ posts on a philosophy forum, if that suggests valuing truth and reason. I just rewatched the first two segments of the debate after reading your post to see if I missed something. The first question about the SC nomination went reasonably well, no interruptions by either debater, and to be honest Trump’s position and presentation was stronger, I felt. On the second question about healthcare Trump began interrupting badly, like the privileged man-child that he is, and had an extremely weak position (no plan after 4 years! and meaningless executive orders). Biden had the last word and a stronger believable proposition.

Don’t have the stomach to review further.
  • _db
    By no means do I think Trump won the debate in terms of intellectual reasons. The guy is a moron. But it doesn't matter who is right or wrong, only who garners more support. That is who "wins". And at the time of my first watching of the debate, I felt that Trump had the upper hand.

For some reason I have encountered a lot of resistance by suggesting that the opponent may have won. People seem to take it to mean that I wanted the opponent to win. In fact I hope the next debate proves to be a smackdown for Trump. I wanna see him cry.
  • Mr Bee
    But it doesn't matter who is right or wrong, only who garners more support.darthbarracuda

Kind of curious as to what you mean exactly by "garnering more support". I don't think that Trump has ever tried to expand his base much, focusing on just feeding red meat to his cult of supporters. That explains why his numbers have never moved much during his entire presidency.

If you mean who came off as being more aggressive then certainly Trump did, but I think he took the whole thing way too far to the point of turning off most people so I can't say that it helped him.
  • Maw
    Holy shit Trump tested positive for covid let's goooooooooooooo
  • _db
    I thought one of Trump's goals was to smear Biden enough so that people on the fence, as well as people who reluctantly support Biden, would doubt Biden's capacity to be president. Over and over again Trump made hypothetical assertions about Biden's ineptitude - things are bad, but they would have been even worse with Biden.

But Trump also tried to make Americans feel like they didn't have a choice in the matter and that they are stuck with him whether they like it or not. I mean with the very first question of the debate (re: the Supreme Court nominee), Trump basically just said that even if the majority of Americans would prefer to wait until after the election, it's too bad for them, democracy can suck it. Later, he talked about election fraud and how mail in ballots are insecure. Then he urged his base to become his brown shirt poll watchers to intimidate voters.

This makes me think Trump isn't really trying to get more people to vote for him as much as he is just trying to stop people from voting in general. Make things as uncertain and chaotic as possible so enough people get paralyzed and don't vote.
  • Streetlight
    I hope the fucker drops dead.

Got my hopes dashed by Bolsonaro tho, so no expectations.
  • Streetlight
    Wonder if the other debates will be cancelled.
  • Maw
    I'm so excited I dont think ill be able to sleep tonight
  • Streetlight
    Wonder if he'll drink bleach.
  • Banno

:up:
    Maybe we should send him some.
  • Saphsin
    Debate was 2 days ago right? Chances of both Biden and Trump being infected?
  • Banno
    Hmm. Kamala Harris becomes President.
  • 180 Proof
    Wonder if he'll drink bleachStreetlightX
    :smirk:

Holy shit Trump tested positive for covid let's gooooooooooooooMaw
    Uh huh. It is what it is, ain't it?

:death: :flower:

Anyway. For the +211,000 Americans negligently mass murdered since the 'February 7 tape', a song to mark the occasion ...

... Who was found dead on the phone?
    Who was dragged down by the stone?
  • Banno
    :up:

Not enough 'Floyd references here abouts...
  • Kenosha Kid
    I would not wish death by Covid on my worst enemy.

Fortunately, Donald and I are not acquainted.
  • Benkei
    Finally something positive about Trump.
  • 180 Proof
    covIDIOT-1 didn't take his own advice - if they didn't test him, he wouldn't have gotten the virus, right? :smirk:

Oh, fuck, don't encourage me, man!

... Bus stop rat bag
    Ha ha, charade you are
    You fucked up old hag
    Ha ha, charade you are
    You radiate cold shafts of broken glass
    You're nearly a good laugh
    Almost worth a quick grin
    You like the feel of steel
    You're hot stuff with a hat pin
    And good fun with a hand gun
    You're nearly a laugh
    You're nearly a laugh
    But you're really a cry ...
    Excerpt from the (1977) soundtrack to *America: The MAGA Years*.
  • Punshhh
    Wonder if the other debates will be cancelled.
    Yes, it's the only way he could pull out of them. With a better format, or a mute button, Trump would have been crucified by Biden. Now he will be after the sympathy vote, again stealing the limelight.
  • 180 Proof
    Mother, do you think they'll try to break my balls?
    :victory: :mask:

I hope Biden says no (I thought that after that shitshow the other night). But now the Harris-Pence VP Debate next Wednesday will probably be the only rodeo in town. Blood on the horns for sure - no matter how civil, I can't imagine the spectacle will bore anyone (though gnashing of teeth & some tears from the tRumptards are to be expected).

Mother, do you think she's good enough for me?
    Mother, do you think she's dangerous to me?
    Mother, will she tear your little boy apart?
    Ooh, aah, mother, will she break my heart?
    :sweat: Poor Mike. (Fuck him!) Can't wait ...
  • Michael

Mother, should I build the wall?
    Mother, should I run for President?
    Mother, should I trust the government?
    Mother, will they put me in the firing line?
    Ooh, ah
    Is it just a waste of time?
  • Banno
    SO, thanks, 5G.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.