• Hanover
    I think you will be accompanied by many Republicans that never have voted for a Democrat Presidential candidate before.ssu

From 1831 to 2003, Georgia never had an elected Republican Governor. During all of that history Georgia was overwhelmingly Democrat, both at the state and federal level. The first Republican Senator in Georgia (ever) was in 2003 when Saxby Chambliss was elected.

Georgians voting for Republicans is a new phenomenon. All of this has to do with the Civil War and the South's reluctance to vote Republican, the party of Lincoln. It took over 150 years to swing that vote.

In modern times, there has been a trend to vote for Republicans for President starting in the 1960s (voting for Goldwater over Johnson due to Johnson voting for the Civil Rights Act of 1964 followed by George Wallace, then of the Dixiecrat party), but there have been exceptions. Georgia did vote for Carter in 1976, but he was a Georgian after all.
  • 180 Proof
    Georgia did vote for Carter in 1976, but he was a Georgian after all.Hanover
    Clinton won Georgia in 1992.

:up:
  • ssu
    From 1831 to 2003, Georgia never had an elected Republican Governor. During all of that history Georgia was overwhelmingly Democrat, both at the state and federal level.Hanover
    The Democrat Party was a bit different back then too, you know.

And notice I was talking about the Presidential elections. Sleepy Joe might get votes from Republicans, but don't think this means that they will go then all progressive. Likely the Democrats will quickly change things to normal with their arrogance, if Trump loses.
  • Hanover
    Clinton won Georgia in 1992.180 Proof

I voted for him. I voted for Mondale in 84 and Dukakis in 88.
    The Democrat Party was a bit different back then too, you know.ssu

So was I.
  • Marchesk
    leepy Joe might get votes from Republicans, but don't think this means that they will go then all progressive.ssu

Sleepy Joe isn't a progressive anyway.
  • Benkei
    Did you manage to vote? I saw some crazy waiting lines on the Daily Show.
  • 180 Proof
    Did you manage to vote? I saw some crazy waiting lines on the Daily Show.Benkei
    Yes. 3-6 hours long lines in the rain. I don't believe, however, the usual voter suppression tactic of 'reducing the number of polling stations in neighborhoods and counties with black pluralities or majorities around the state' is working or will work as planned. No waiting, of course, in whiter and wealthier Atlanta neighborhoods like Buckhead where I visited to see the disparity for myself.
  • Hanover
    you manage to vote? I saw some crazy waiting lines on the Daily Show.Benkei

Yes. The line wasn't that long, but it went really slow. In the morning it was too long, so I came back in the afternoon.

How nefarious this all was, I don't know. It felt like incompetence in getting enough of the new machines to the polling places in time. Yesterday was election day and the last day to vote, but you could vote anytime last week and if you had requested a paper ballot, you could have voted and dropped off your ballot whenever you wanted.

If this was intentional voter suppression, they were mastermind evil geniuses in figuring out how to make this look like a fuck up. Gazing into the eyes of those in charge, it wasn't genuis I saw, but maybe that's part of their genius.

I'm also not sure what could have been gained even if they suppressed minority vote.. This was a primary, not the general election. No Republicans or Democrats were elected, but just the candidates from the respective parties were chosen for the general election. I'm too think the Republicans wanted their challenger to be a lesser evil in the event they lost, so they manipulated the primary? Sounds like a pretty lame plan. Should have saved the manipulation for the actual election if you ask me.
  • Benkei
    Does voter suppression have to be intentional?

But it does look like incompetence from what I saw. It's just typical that although it affected everyone, it's again something that appears to affect black/poor communities more.
  • ssu
    Sleepy Joe isn't a progressive anyway.Marchesk
    Progressive enough for a lot of Republicans! Or at least they (the Republicans) are fearful of the people that then flock the seats of power along with him. But some may start be fed up with Trump.
  • Hanover
    It's just typical that although it affected everyone, it's again something that appears to affect black/poor communities more.Benkei

I think that's right. The more affluent and educated the community, the more educated the poll workers and the voters, so they're able to navigate problems better as they arise.
  • Benkei
    That's one theory. But then how complicated is voting that you need an education to do it? Or that an education differential causes a large difference in waiting times.

I suspect the number of polling places or number of voting booths per capita in communities differ as well.
  • Hanover
    But then how complicated is voting that you need an education to do it? Or that an education differential causes a large difference in waiting times.Benkei

They just got all new voting machines and the training on them was apparently very limited. It's not rocket science, but they have scan your driver's license, load up some card thing, have you insert the card into the voting machine, cast your ballot, print your result, scan your result, and then get a sticker that says "I Voted Today." I can say that whenever we upgrade our technology at our office, there's always someone who can't figure it out or there's some snafu somewhere, but then there's always that guy that can magically figure it out. They have fewer magicians in the poor areas.
  • 180 Proof
    Should have saved the manipulation for the actual election if you ask me.Hanover
    New equipment, new procedures; a trial-run for the fall was needed.
  • Ciceronianus
    Our current president is so uniquely offensive that, judging from some of the recent headlines indicating that certain generals find him appalling, can it be possible we may join the group of nations which have experienced a military coup d'etat?

It would be droll, since as far as I know here in our Glorious Union it's typically been speculated in fictional accounts that the military would attempt a coup only if some liberal president became too soft on commies or implemented fouridation or some such thing. Imagine it taking place in an effort to save the Republic.

Just joking, of course. God bless America!
  • Baden

It would be awful if he accidentally got pushed out of his helicopter while surveying one his golf courses or something. I don't think I'd be able to stand the injustice. :snicker:
  • ssu
    Our current president is so uniquely offensive that, judging from some of the recent headlines indicating that certain generals find him appalling, can it be possible we may join the group of nations which have experienced a military coup d'etat?Ciceronianus the White
    Not happening. Not at least as how an ordinary coup d'etat happens in the American continent.

(I commented on the response of the military earlier here on another thread)

The only thing I can imagine is that Trump does something unbelievably stupid (and somehow is let do such disastrous moves), like postpones the elections because of the corona pandemic, and then when this is met by larger than life demonstrations, demands the country to go to martial law and the armed forces to clamp down the protests. In this situation it's likely that the military wouldn't follow Trump's orders. It would look at the situation and basically be tolerant of the demonstrators and desperately try to get the politicians to solve it. Someone could argue (and likely Trump would argue) that not following the orders of Trump would be equivalent to a military coup d'etat. It actually isn't. So it's wouldn't be like the Chilean Junta overthrowing Salvador Allende, not even like the Carnation Revolution of 1974 in Portugal, but something more closer to the events of the Arab Spring in 2011 in Egypt, what is called the Egyptian Revolution of 2011.

Notice that then the Egyptian Vice President Omar Suleiman announced that Mubarak would resign as president and would be turning power over to the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces. The military then did actually go through with democratic elections and Egypt got the Muslim Brotherhood in power .

So not like this:
    train2.jpg

Not even like this;
    eduardogageiro_descida1maio1975resized.jpg

Perhaps this below, if Trump postpones the elections. Yes, that is an American Abrams tank similar that the US Army has. Note the lack of hostility from the crowd as the military isn't against the people as the military has abandoned Mubarack when the picture was taken. Also note the Egyptian flags:
    egyptian-revolution-1.jpg
  • 180 Proof
    I want to talk to the Trump supporters for a minute. What is Donald Trump's campaign about? He's a RACE-BAITING, XENOPHOBIC, RELIGIOUS BIGOT. You know how you make America great again? Tell Donald Trump to Go To Hell! — Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC), 2016
    :victory: :mask:

https://youtu.be/g5Xpwyd4aMM
  • 180 Proof
    "The only ism that has justified itself is pessimism." ~George Orwell

:mask:

... it's too early to tell how far the WH, AG Barr & the GOP will go in trying to sabotage the election by (e.g.) suppressing student, minority & urban voters; (again) suborning foreign interference via cyber-espionage, etc; and terrorizing the electorate with incitements of mob violence against poll workers, Democratic Governors & Mayors, "deep state" IGs & Public Health officials, and, of course, against "the fake news" media. Because both the WH & RNC know they've already lost - behaviors, forensic psychologists et al will tell you, never lie. I suspect things are going get much uglier this fall.180 Proof
    :shade:

SCROTUS' only play is some form of martial law (à la the Enabling Act - fuckin' Steve Bannon's wet dream) that most of 'the establishment' will consent to (I can't imagine why they would though) in order to cancel/suspend the election.180 Proof
    A co-founder of the (usually) tRump-sympathizing Federalist Society argues that Putin's Running Mate's mere mention of delaying or canceling the upcoming election is grounds for another Impeachment and this time Conviction (removal from office) even before the November 3rd election.
  • Benkei

Btw, if [corona] is still a thing come election time I'm sure they will postpone it and Trump will remain president.Benkei
  • 180 Proof
    Fortunately, the US Constitution states clearly that a presidential (& vice-presidential) term ends after four years and so, without an election, he'll be succeeded on January 20, 2021 by the Speaker of the House. The GOP - Moscow Mitch - won't let that happen! :sweat:
  • 180 Proof
    "He's a f$#@ing moron!" ~Rex Tillerson

https://youtu.be/KsLaAbzVb9E

"Unprecedented" - The Lincoln Project

Biden-Harris 2020 :mask:
  • 180 Proof

Not from the Biden-Harris 2020 campaign.

Not from the DNC or party operatives

Not from either The Lincoln Project or Republican Voters Against tRump.

Not even from FSB/GRU files (or Wikileaks).

excerpts:

"All he wants to do is appeal to his base. He has no principles. None. None. And his base, I mean my God, if you were a religious person, you want to help people. Not do this.”  (re: child separation @ border)

“His goddamned tweet and lying, oh my God. [ ... ] I’m talking too freely, but you know. The change of stories. The lack of preparation. The lying. Holy shit.”

“No. He doesn’t read.”

“He was a brat. I did his homework for him [ ... ] I drove him around New York City to try to get him into college.”

"He went to Fordham for one year [actually two years] and then he got into University of Pennsylvania because he had somebody take the exams. [ ... ]  SATs or whatever. That's what I believe. I even remember the name." That person was Joe Shapiro."

“I don’t know. Well he has five bankruptcies."
    (re: what DJT had accomplished on his own)

You can’t trust him.” 

“It’s the phoniness of it all. It’s the phoniness and this cruelty. Donald is cruel.”

"Donald's out for Donald, period."

~Maryann Trump Barry, retired federal judge and older sister of DJT (taped for c15 hours in 2018-19 by Mary Trump, clinical psychiatrist and niece)

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/aug/23/donald-is-cruel-trumps-sister-recorded-saying-president-has-no-principles
  • Pfhorrest
    Thanks for sharing that, great find! I want to be hopeful that this candid testimony (the sister was unaware her remarks were being recorded) will change some people’s minds... but then the kind of minds that need to be changed are likely too far gone to do anything but latch onto whatever flimsy dismissal is put out in response to this.
  • Streetlight
    "In many respects, the RNC is an ugly mirror image of last week’s Democratic convention. Neither offers any real solutions to the growing number of Americans desperately trying to keep their heads above water in an unprecedented crisis; each offers only empty signaling instead of actual policy, right-wing grievance for the RNC, and lip service to tolerance, inclusion, and civility for the DNC; each talks up the limitless potential of the American people that mysteriously can’t extend to halting the pandemic, for Republicans, and achieving universal health care, for the Democrats; both are corporate-funded affairs headlined overwhelmingly by millionaires and billionaires pretending to be the tribune of workers

...These parties need each other. It’s the increasing lunacy of the GOP that keeps frightened liberal voters satisfied with the meager crumbs of progress promised and unevenly delivered by the Democrats; and it’s the Democratic Party’s abandonment of the New Deal and embrace of shallow corporate liberalism that keeps white working-class voters flocking to a GOP that only uses and abuses them. This is the bleak symbiosis that keeps the United States steadily drifting further and further rightward as crises pile up".

https://jacobinmag.com/2020/08/gop-rnc-republicans-trump-insanity
  • 180 Proof
    Even FOX News confirms reporting that the COWARD-in-Chief disparages and disrespects U.S. Military Veterans & Active Service Personnel (re: wounded, dead, POWs, MIAs & Gold Star families):

https://youtu.be/Dh5tArUZ6Jw

Will 46 pardon or (karmicly appoint HRC to) prosecute 45 and his junta? :shade:

I prefer toetags all around to monogrammed orange jumpsuits.
    180 Proof

update:

full.
    metal.
    jacket.
    asap.

"Our country's honor depends on it."

https://youtu.be/lL5PZFjkvSw
  • 180 Proof
    Americans killed by *al-Qaeda terrorists* on '9/11"

(COVID-19 - Hold my MF beer, tRumpkins! :point: )

Americans killed by *tRump neglected* COVID-19 outbreaks since 2/6/20

- 939 daily average (1,090 on 9/10/20)

- c196,454 YTD

• jorndoe
    What the heck is going on in the US?

QAnon (Wikipedia)
    QAnon has gone from fringe conspiracy to full-blown cult (Julia deCook; openDemocracy; Sep 2020)
    Velshi: QAnon’s conspiracy cult has infiltrated the White House (Ali Velshi; MSNBC; Sep 2020)

Seems like a kindergarten, Trump feeds his ego with Christian soccer-mum votes, ...
  • creativesoul
    What the heck is going on in the US?jorndoe

The result of fifty years worth of bad government.
  • 180 Proof
    :100: (i.e. neoliberal 'deregulatory + disinvestment' policies)

[another fucking PSA]

Prospect of 'acceptable deaths' in pursuit of COVID-19 "herd mentality" in the US - in order "not to panic" Wall Street by "keeping the economy open" - during a second term for Putin's COVIDiot Bitch:

• US pop. - c328 million

• herd immunity - approx. +60% infection rate, or +197 Million Infected

• .03% fatality rate (based on 198k fatalities / 6.7m infections as of Sept. 16, 2020) - c5.91 MILLION DEAD

FIVE MILLION, NINE HUNDRED AND TEN THOUSAND (or more) Dead Americans - mostly Elderly, mostly Black & Brown people, and mostly the Working Poor (including blue collar Whites) with jobs that cannot be done 'from home'.

:point: Biden-Harris 2020
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.