• frank

Rude banana germs
  • tavaa
    tell us more. for you sound like you have some knowledge.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    How can the U.S. presidential election this November NOT be soley a referendum on tRUMP's criminal negligence evident from the start of this pandemic which has produced - and will continue to produce - so much needless "American Carnage"? Someone please explain it to me.180 Proof

I ask this in all sincerity, what other option do we have?
    Also: what do you think the election 7 months from now will look like? Operationally speaking.
    My best of health to you :heart:
  • Benkei
    The other guy. It's not that hard. And I warned you about him last time.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    The other guy. It's not that hard. And I warned you about him last time.Benkei

The other guy is literally having his onset of senility propped up on display. The election is over unless Joe drops out and someone else comes in.

Yes Benkei, you did in fact warn me about Trump but the idea of Hillary handling this pandemic is unthinkable.
  • tavaa
    tell us more indeed you have some knowledge.
  • Benkei
    Yes Benkei, you did in fact warn me about Trump but the idea of Hillary handling this pandemic is unthinkable.ArguingWAristotleTiff

You have a rich imagination then. Handling it worse than Trump did and is doing is nearly impossible.
  • Baden
    The election is over unless Joe drops out and someone else comes in.ArguingWAristotleTiff

Biden currently leads Trump by 6 points on RCP. If the election were held today and that's accurate then Trump would be crushed. Biden's mental decline is certainly an issue, but at least half of America would vote for a cardboard box rather than the Donald, so no matter what happens, Biden is probably the slight favourite to win.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_biden-6247.html
  • NOS4A2

The scapegoating is marvellous, but predictable. It’s been the going rate for opinion pieces in The Atlantic for a few years now. Trump has already been blamed for everything from climate change to war in the Middle East, so it’s no wonder he’ll be blamed for a pandemic. He is their whipping boy after all. But note that they can only come up with few out-of-context reasons why he is to blame, most of which revolve around his apparent word crimes.

Of course this comes with zero blame on the governors, who have the most power and jurisdiction over what goes on in their states during emergencies. New York, for instance, has a policy that readmits coronavirus patients to nursing homes. There has already been over 3000 deaths in nursing homes in New York alone. Is that Trump’s fault? No, because Trump doesn’t set the policy for New York. They have their own health officials, their own laws, their own systems. The best Trump could do for New York was provide the USS Comfort, build the Javits Center into a hospital, provide military and financial support, which he has done in spades. Every governor has been laudatory about Trump’s leadership.

No, Trump has done his job, has done it well, and all without seizing any new powers for the federal government.
  • Benkei
    It’s been the going rate for opinion pieces in The Atlantic for a few years now. Trump has already been blamed for everything from climate change to war in the Middle East, so it’s no wonder he’ll be blamed for a pandemic. He is their whipping boy after all. But note that they can only come up with few out-of-context reasons why he is to blame, most of which revolve around his apparent word crimes.NOS4A2

So you haven't read the article because it's not blaming Trump. Meanwhile, you're setting up pathetic strawmen in place of the criticism that has been rightly levelled at Trump. Trump has been criticised for denying climate change in the face of overwhelming evidence and unilaterally breaking the promises of the Paris accord without regard of the withdrawal mechanism. He's not blamed for a pandemic but for downplaying the risks, touting an unproven and ineffective medicine as the cure and reacting way to fucking late to the whole thing. And then turns around and blames the governors.

Every governor has been laudatory about Trump’s leadership.NOS4A2

Because the reality is that if you don't have your face firmly planted on Trump's ass, he will shaft you. As we've seen ample proof of in the past 3,5 years.

No, Trump has done his job, has done it well, and all without seizing any new powers for the federal government.NOS4A2

Unitary executive theory anyone? What fucking bullshit from you as usual. Don't bother replying either. It's for people who aren't Trump stooges.
  • NOS4A2

So you haven't read the article because it's not blaming Trump. Meanwhile, you're setting up pathetic strawmen in place of the criticism that has been rightly levelled at Trump. Trump has been criticised for denying climate change in the face of overwhelming evidence and unilaterally breaking the promises of the Paris accord without regard of the withdrawal mechanism. He's not blamed for a pandemic but for downplaying the risks, touting an unproven and ineffective medicine as the cure and reacting way to fucking late to the whole thing. And then turns around and blames the governors.

The problem is your only criticisms are about his optimism. You suspiciously leave out everything he has done while magnifying the trite, superficial complaints of a few of Washington journos and Democrats. Another mouthful of turd from you.
  • tim wood
    No, Trump has done his job, has done it well, and all without seizing any new powers for the federal government.NOS4A2
    Name any good anything he has done well. He does bad very well, in every way. But name anything good.

Now, gentle readers, let's see how the troll replies.
  • Banno
    Thank you.

Now, since you are of a philosophical disposition, go back and have a look at your reply and tell me, what are the forms of the arguments you have use.
  • NOS4A2

Now, since you are of a philosophical disposition, go back and have a look at your reply and tell me, what are the forms of the arguments you have use.

Why would I do that?
  • Banno
    Well, I asked nicely. And there is this thing in philosophy were philosophers reflect on their ideas.

But perhaps you are not up for that.
  • NOS4A2

I shared my opinion; you shared someone else’s. When you want to reflect on your ideas, or mine, let me know.
  • Banno
    That's a pity. You've reinforced my prejudice that Trump's supporters are unreflective boors.

Let me start, then. A scapegoat takes away one's sins. So how is it that the Atlantic is using Trump to take away its sins?

And that first paragraph -it doesn't address anything in the article, but instead attacks the author. Hence it seems invalid. That's not a concern for you?
  • frank
    Trump's supporters are unreflective boors.
    Banno

I'd buy that. Trump doesn't show up well in an intellectual domain, so we easily trash him here on this forum.

What we may overlook is the impotence of intellectuals through the ages. They're mere servants to the powerful apes who do the real creation and destruction that drives human life.

An intellectual is no more than a helpful dog whose whining means nothing.
  • Banno
    Perhaps. That's certainly a pop notion now. But then, it's exactly the sort of thing an unreflective boor would say in order to avoid interrogation.
  • NOS4A2

I’m not attacking the author in particular, I was attacking those who scapegoat the president in general. Hence my use of the plural pronoun “they”. Some of them write opinion articles at the Atlantic.

I am using the term “scapegoat” in the colloquial sense, not in the biblical sense.

I know your opinion if Trump supporters, what is your opinion on the matter at hand? Surely philosopher wouldn’t pass off someone’s opinion as his own.
  • Banno
    I’m not attacking the author in particular, I was attacking those who scapegoat the president in general. Hence my use of the plural pronoun “they”. Some of them write opinion articles at the Atlantic.NOS4A2

Sure, and on this we might agree - I think @StreetlightX made the same point against one of my earielr posts; or was it @180 Proof?

Anyway, the point is that even if they are scapegoating Trump, there are criticisms of substance in the article that remain unaddressed.
  • NOS4A2

Anyway, the point is that even if they are scapegoating Trump, there are criticisms of substance in the article that remain unaddressed.

That’s fair. Is there any one in particular you’d like me to address?
  • Banno
    Your choice. My interest here is in how you justify your position.
  • praxis
    Trump's supporters are unreflective boors.
    — Banno

I'd buy that. Trump doesn't show up well in an intellectual domain, so we easily trash him here on this forum.

What we may overlook is the impotence of intellectuals through the ages. They're mere servants to the powerful apes who do the real creation and destruction that drives human life.

An intellectual is no more than a helpful dog whose whining means nothing.
    frank

Cute, but the fact of Obama invalidates your poetry when analyzed intellectually.
  • 180 Proof
    Really? It isn't "relevant" - doesn't illustrate gross public health & political failure - that the U.S. has only 6.3× more population than S.K. and yet, in only 93 days, 199× more reported Covid-19 deaths?! :brow:

As U.S. political history decisively demonstrates (especially since the last 'Gilded Age'), every election for a second term is a referendum on the incumbent and never a choice between "options". :roll: And even if it were a choice (which it's not!), Joe Biden, in over four decades in government has not proven himself to be as uninformed, anti-science, incompetent, corrupt, pathologically untruthful, demogogic, disrespectful of career public/civil servants, unpatriotic or unpopular as the Donald; there's no way any challenger could serve this country worse in the coming years than the 45th POTUS has since 2017.

As for this fall, Tiff, it's too early to tell how far the WH, AG Barr & the GOP will go in trying to sabotage the election by (e.g.) suppressing student, minority & urban voters; (again) suborning foreign interference via cyber-espionage, etc; and terrorizing the electorate with incitements of mob violence against poll workers, Democratic Governors & Mayors, "deep state" IGs & Public Health officials, and, of course, against "the fake news" media. Because both the WH & RNC know they've already lost - behaviors, forensic psychologists et al will tell you, never lie. I suspect things are going get much uglier this fall. :shade:

Be well, Tiff, stay healthy. :mask:
  • NOS4A2

Your choice. My interest here is in how you justify your position.

I hope I can defend any statement I make or position I hold. Which position do you wish to see me justify?
  • tim wood
    That’s fair. Is there any one in particular you’d like me to address?NOS4A2
    ------
    No, Trump has done his job, has done it well, and all without seizing any new powers for the federal government.
    — NOS4A2

Name any good anything he has done well. He does bad very well, in every way. But name anything good.
    Now, gentle readers, let's see how the troll replies.
    tim wood
    ------

No answer yet. nos4 the fraud.
  • frank
    Perhaps.Banno

:up:
  • Banno

We can play all day. In the interests of moving the conversation along...

You say
    Trump has done his job, has done it well,NOS4A2

Yet the USA has the worst of Covid-19.

SO presumably it was somehow out of his control? So what powers does Trump lack that, say, Angela Merkel or Scott Morrison has?
  • Deletedmemberzc
    They're mere servants to the powerful apes who do the real creation and destruction that drives human life.frank

Without the intellectuals we would still be apes.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.