• NOS4A2

I suspect China will be a political cudgel this time around, as Russia was last time. But this time the evidence of foreign interference and espionage is insurmountable, and not just relegated to Facebook ads and twitter posts. Chi-com spying, hacking, and intellectual theft have been on the books for years and years now. But as this pandemic has taken over, the campaigning has taken a back seat.

As this pandemic unfolds the certainty around Trump’s re-election have diminished in my view.
  • frank
    Facts always take a back seat to myth.

I agree that Trump was unable to strike a presidential pose through the pandemic. Word is he intends to blame it all on China, the guys who sent NYC 1000 ventilators.
  • Baden
    I suspect China will be a political cudgel this time aroundNOS4A2

Yes, the Biden campaign are not going to let Trump's kissing up to China be forgotten.

• Baden
    Trump: "China has been working very hard to contain the coronavirus. The United States greatly appreciates their efforts and transparency. It will all work out well. In, particular, on behalf of the American People, I want to thank President Xi!"

Trump is clearly a politburo sleeper agent.
  • Metaphysician Undercover
    The hoax you guys peddled back and forth to each other for years. Man, you guys were so sure of yourself. It was brilliant.NOS4A2

Yes sir, documented verification tends to make people sure of themselves. But we'll always find the odd sort who keep shouting 'Hoax!', regardless.
  • NOS4A2
    Looks like ol’ Trump is temporarily suspending immigration for 60 days due to the pandemic. Cue the cries of racism and xenophobia.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-to-temporarily-halt-immigration-into-the-u-s-amid-coronavirus-crisis-11587436960
  • Punshhh
    Its a pointless exercise, wherever they fly in from there will be less infected people than there are in the US. The Mexicans will be building that wall to keep them (US citizens) out.
  • tim wood
    What is it, exactly, you trust Trump for? If and when he does anything, how often can you say, "I understand why he did that."
  • NOS4A2

Its a pointless exercise, wherever they fly in from there will be less infected people than there are in the US. The Mexicans will be building that wall to keep them out.

The reasoning behind it is to reserve jobs for the millions of citizens who have lost theirs, not to reduce infections.
  • Punshhh
    But US citizens won't do those low grade low paid jobs. It's the same problem we've got in the UK. Now large numbers of Eastern European workers have gone home, which the Brexit backing government was urging them to do. UK citizens aren't stepping in to fill those low grade jobs. A consortium of farmers is chartering planes to bring in seasonal workers from Romania to bring in the harvest, because The British workers won't do it. Even though the Brexiters have been assuring us for two years that UK workers will fill these vital jobs.

Evidence of a lack of joined up thinking.
  • NOS4A2

What is it, exactly, you trust Trump for? If and when he does anything, how often can you say, "I understand why he did that."

I don’t trust Trump. I would never leave the guy around my wife, for example. The best I can do is try to empathize with him.
  • NOS4A2

But US citizens won't do those low grade low paid jobs. It's the same problem we've got in the UK. Now large numbers of Eastern European workers have gone home, which the Brexit backing government was urging them to do. UK citizens aren't stepping in to fill those low grade jobs. A consortium of farmers is chartering planes to bring in seasonal workers from Romania to bring in the harvest, because The British workers won't do it. Even though the Brexiters have been assuring us for two years that UK workers will fill these vital jobs.

Evidence of a lack of joined up thinking.

It’s wrong to assume immigrants only occupy low-grade jobs. But if a company has difficulty attracting workers they need to become more competitive on the job market.
  • Punshhh
    NOS4A2 is in on the con, he knows that Trump is all things to all people, a snake oil salesman. The way it works is he says both sides of a political argument so that he can claim the credit for which ever side comes out on top. This way he can do no wrong in the way eye of his supporters. Say he's asked to call the toss of a coin, he will say both heads and tails like a confidence trickster and then which ever way the coin lands he will claim he said that side.

If you are in on the act, it all makes sense and you can support it because there is a hidden agenda which is being furthered while he is politically successful.

I know all this because the exact same thing has been going on in the UK, so I have two equivalent examples to analyse.
  • NOS4A2

A hidden agenda? The agenda could not get any more explicit.

The problem with Trump’s case is you cannot compare him to any other person. He’s one of a kind. It’s why you waste time fantasizing about hidden agendas while you search the lexicon of archetypes and past leaders for any hint of what you’re actually dealing with.
  • tim wood
    A hidden agenda? The agenda could not get any more explicit.NOS4A2
    while you search the lexicon of archetypes and past leaders for any hint of what you’re actually dealing with.NOS4A2
    All right. what do you say his agendas are? What do you say we're actually dealing with?

Imo, he's playing the I'll do anything I can to get away with it, so look over there and don't watch what I'm doing. . What is it? By now that hardly matters. To a court of law it will matter, and I look forward to the day he, and his, have their day in court. But in terms of trusting anything he does? He has made clear he is worth zero trust.
  • Punshhh
    It’s wrong to assume immigrants only occupy low-grade jobs.
    Are you sure about that ( to the extent that it is relevant o the argument).

But if a company has difficulty attracting workers they need to become more competitive on the job market.

It's not that simple, it's the kind of work. British workers won't do these jobs even if they are paid twice as much.
  • frank
    NOS isn't an American, he just poses as one. This guy is all American, though:

3e081ab22d982101fee1ed1b29bac16e.jpeg?width=850&type=webp
  • Banno
    frank

??
  • Banno
    NOS isn't an Americanfrank

Nor am I, yet the article rang true. Nos' reaction will be more about Nos than about 'merica.
  • Banno
    ...we should take some pains to distinguish constructivism from intuitionism.

As I've suggested, I don't see how constructivism is committed to finitism

Nor do I see that constructivism is committed to rejecting the Law of Excluded Middle. Rather, a constructivist approach would say that including the law leads us this way, excluding it leads us that way; and which way you choose depends on what you are planning to do.

Another way to put it is, contrary to Brouwer, mathematics just is the language of mathematics.

Nor is mathematics just a creation of the mind; that's too solipsistic. Mathematics is a collaborative enterprise, not something in individual minds.
  • Streetlight
    I think you uh, posted this in the wrong thread.
  • Banno
    Oops. Too many open windows.
  • Relativist
    I think restricting immigration during the pandemic is reasonable. Anything that reduces person to person contact is good. On the other hand, praising protest gatherings is a bad idea

Trump has said lots of stupid things. Thank goodness the deep state is doing many good things, in spite of him.
  • Punshhh
    For @NOS4A2: We Are Living in a Failed State

Nice article.
  • 180 Proof
    What the wealthiest "failed state" in history looks like? :mask:

Confirmed first cases of Covid-19 infection:

South Korea - 1/19/20
    United States - 1/19/20

:chin:

By 4/22/20, deaths from Covid-19 infections:

South Korea (pop. 52m; 519 pp/km^2) - 240
    United States (pop. 328m; 23.2 pp/km^2) - 47,750
    — Not Fake News, 4/23/20
    How can the U.S. presidential election this November NOT be solely a referendum on tRUMP's criminal negligence evident from the start of this pandemic which has produced - and will continue to produce - so much needless "American Carnage"? Someone please explain it to me.
  • Benkei
    population numbers aren't even relevant to measure how bad a country does in the initial phase as the virus doesn't care about that until it starts to reach level where herd immunity starts to have an effect.
  • frank
    Someone please explain it to me.180 Proof

Some people care more about RBGs seat than holding one idiot responsible for the fact that we aren't South Korea.
  • Benkei
    RBGsfrank

Really Big Guns?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.