• Maw
    So Bernie supporters, excited to vote for Joe now?ssu

Fortunately I live in NY so not at all required that I vote for Joe
  • BC
    So Bernie supporters, excited to vote for Joe now?ssu

No, definitely not. I said Bernie was too old; so is Biden. Trump is a syphilitic crypto fascist. Man, we are so far down the tubes.
  • Baden
    syphiliticBitter Crank

Anti-syphiliticism is not allowed here, I'm afraid.
  • BC
    You're so strict!
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    Baden-Hanover 2020

"All Day Mothafuckaz"
  • I like sushi
    Everything I can see is pointing to a Trump win. The democrats keep backing the person and remained focused on playing a game Trump is much better at rather than focusing on actual policies that address the countries problems both present and future.

Sanders is the only candidate I’ve seen over there that isn’t completely full of shit and/or under the thumb of the puppet masters. You get what you deserve most of the time. In a country built on manufacturing and exporting hysteria what did you really expect your president to look like? ;)
  • 180 Proof
    True.
    Same (re: Georgia).
  • ssu
    Ah! The birthplace and home of the Donald. (Yep, too bad the 2020 election won't be a competition between two born in New York.)

But you do understand that the ideology "my vote won't change things" is quite a dangerous one if everybody starts feeling like that?
  • 180 Proof
    addendum:

Today on Earth One, where bad news ain't mostly "fake news" (FOX Noise), the latest global effect of the 2nd wave of covid-19 outbreaks: collapse of crude oil prices below $0 per barrel (i.e. canary in the depression mine).

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-52350082

:mask:

2020 election will be a referendum on tRUMP's handling of PANDEMIC & DEPRESSION ...

https://youtu.be/ozzwMBvvUiA :victory:
  • Benkei
    We need a word worse than depression. We're looking at a lost generation in many countries; a generation that will have to live with paying of the debt that's being created now. Which makes it all the more important large corporations and rich people pay their fucking, fair share instead of evading taxes.
  • 180 Proof
    Catastrophe ('apocalypse' may be a bit too biblical, but ... :shade:). Of course I agree.
  • 180 Proof
    May 5, 2020 - SARS-2 (Covid-19) update:

c72,000 U.S. reported deaths
    c1,250,000 U.S. reported infections

Ousted vaccine director files whistleblower complaint alleging coronavirus warnings were ignored

I was pressured to let politics and cronyism drive decisions over the opinions of the best scientists we have in government ...

... I believe [my firing by White House] was in response to my insistence that the government invest the billions of dollars allocated by Congress to address the COVID-19 pandemic into safe and scientifically vetted solutions, and not in drugs, vaccines and other technologies that lack scientific merit ...

... I am speaking out because to combat this deadly virus, science — not politics or cronyism — has to lead the way.
    — Dr. Rick Bright, HHS Whistleblower
    :mask: ~Biden 2020

Addendum.
  • 0 thru 9
    Lately I’ve been wondering... with all the storms flying around Trump’s head (most of them self-created) if in a moment of frustration at the definite prospect of losing badly in November... that Donald will just petulantly announce that he refuses to run in the presidential election. (And there are perhaps many on the Republican side that might like to see just that, imo.)

He just seems like the type to prefer quitting to losing and being embarrassed. There is no substantial evidence that he has ever given a rabbit poop about anyone outside his Game of Thrones family. Plus, he seems burnt out. It takes a lot of energy to bungle the handling of a pandemic. Shifting blame is exhausting. Maybe he can get some rest after quitting, take up watercolor painting, and return to his previous light-hearted self.

The novelty factor of a Trump presidency has completely worn out for everyone, most of all for DT. Alas, the Orange sun is setting... Let’s stand together to be warmed by its diminishing light (at a proper distance, of course.)
  • 180 Proof
    a Never-tRumpers' Reaganite appeal to Independents

"Mourning in America" (Ad video) :eyes:
  • 180 Proof
    tRump 2,020 deaths per day ...

Timeline
  • 180 Proof
    May 28, 2020 update:

over 100,000 confirmed Covid-19 deaths (U.S.)

over 40 million filed for unemployment since mid-March (U.S.)

Referendum on November 3, 2020. :victory: :mask:
  • 180 Proof
    "Donald Trump is the first president in my lifetime who does not try to unite the American people—does not even pretend to try. Instead, he tries to divide us.

[ ... ]

We must reject and hold accountable those in office who would make a mockery of our Constitution."

~James Mattis, Marine Gen. (retired ☆☆☆☆), former Secretary of Defense (tRump admin - RESIGNED)

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/03/read-mattis-statement-on-trumps-handling-of-nationwide-protests.html
  • Benkei
    Let's hope so. And then the healing needs to start; how on earth are you going to get those die-hard Trump supporters back into the fold of a united nation?
  • Streetlight
    While it's an appreciated sentiment, unity is not a goal unto itself. There's little point in unity if no change happens, and things go back to where the way they were before. In many ways that would be even worse. The slogan: 'no justice, no peace' brings this out clearly.

"They dress the wound of my people as though it were not serious. 'Peace, peace,' they say, when there is no peace." Jeremiah 6:14.
  • Nuke
    Biden seems like a caretaker President so perhaps his VP pick will be decisive? Last I heard he has said he will pick a woman. If true, which woman?
  • Benkei
    Yeah. You're right, unfortunately.
  • Maw
    Mattis is also a war criminal who is trying to brand himself as a resistance Republican
  • Pfhorrest
    It seems like real change would be the only way to unify the Trump base with the rest of America anyway. They’re largely a bunch of poor white men who are looking for anyone they can to scapegoat for their poverty. If real change that addresses the needs of poor people across the board happens, then they will have nothing’s more they need a scapegoat for, and the peace of a prosperous life that’s needed to begin social and emotional healing.
  • 180 Proof
    Mattis is also a war criminal who is trying to brand himself as a resistance RepublicanMaw
    Enemy of our enemy ... :mask:

• worst public health crisis since 1918
    • worst unemployment crisis since 1929
    • worst social unrest since 1968
    180 Proof
    And some telling years in presidential history also to keep in mind:

Hoover 1932
    Ford 1976
    Carter 1980
    Bush 1992

"DJT 2020"
  • Echarmion
    They’re largely a bunch of poor white men who are looking for anyone they can to scapegoat for their poverty.Pfhorrest

Wealthy white men have voted Trump, too. There is much debate on whether Trump actually has special appeal to a "white working class". There is a podcast episode on fivethirtyeight that addresses the question.
  • ssu
    Mattis is also a war criminal who is trying to brand himself as a resistance RepublicanMaw
    His warcrime, apart being part of commander in the war in Afghanistan and Iraq and ending up commanding the whole lot, was that there was a case of collateral damage? Right. Lots of war criminals then starting from all the US Presidents, Clinton and Obama included.

I don't think Mattis isn't Republican, he surely likely is a conservative, but likely he is an apolitical old school officer. Mattis retired from the position of commander of Central Command, and so is this the argument to say that he is a "resistance Republican":

In his memoirs, Leon Panetta – Obama’s defence secretary between 2011 and 2013 – states that Mattis and the Obama administration didn’t always see eye-to-eye, especially when it came to Mattis wanting to increase the US presence in Syria.

Of course, Syria was the thing that lead to him to resign from the Trump administration. But perhaps in the highly polarized situation it's normal to depict everybody as having an underlying party political reasons for every action they make. And anyway, now people argue that he has come to criticize Trump far too late. Well, from the generals Trump took into his administration (Mattis, Kelly, McMaster) only McMaster didn't have an option (other to outright resign) as he was in service.
  • Maw
    Lots of war criminals then starting from all the US Presidents, Clinton and Obama included.ssu

I think you might be on to something
  • 180 Proof
    Now that it's clear Georgia (where I live) is in play, I'll vote for Joe Biden this fall (and both Dems for the US Senate). Swing state "lesser evil" voting it is. :mask:
  • ssu

I think you will be accompanied by many Republicans that never have voted for a Democrat Presidential candidate before.
  • Benkei
    It's like shooting yourself in the leg instead of the heart. :naughty:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.