• Benkei
    It's true you just have a problem with reading comprehension. While the other papers are indeed not right wing rags, I referred to news negative of Trump which you will always go out of your way to deny, or claim it's anti-Trump or indeed untrustworthy mainstream media. The point stands and your trolling continues.

Trump is corrupt and has obstructed justice as proved by the investigation by Mueller.
  • Baden

I'm not making a judgement on the story, I'm making a judgement on the source. We all have limited time here. Just provide a reliable source. If the story is true, that shouldn't be a problem.
  • NOS4A2

Of course you claim this of me and not people who do the opposite. The only standards you have are double standards.
  • NOS4A2

Fair enough. For future reference, CNN has a similar score to the Washington Free Beacon, which I guess means it’s an unreliable source.

But Yahoo has picked up the story.

Arizona police are now conducting a homicide investigation into a woman who claimed she gave her husband fish tank cleaner after President Trump claimed the anti-malarial drug hydroxychloroquine was an effective treatment for coronavirus.

https://news.yahoo.com/woman-blamed-trump-giving-her-133613382.html
  • Baden
    For future reference, CNN has a similar score to the Washington Free Beacon, which I guess means it’s an unreliable source.NOS4A2

For opinion, without doubt; it's the Dem TV channel. For pure news, the report says:

"However, news reporting on the website tends to be properly sourced with minimal failed fact checks."

And it's news not opinion we're discussing. Having said that, it got a worse score than I expected and I wouldn't have a problem re-sourcing if someone questioned my CNN article.

But Yahoo has picked up the story.NOS4A2

:up:
  • Benkei
    Of course there's a double standard. One for truth and one for lies. One for people who argue in good faith and another for partisan hacks like you. Keep spouting lies and I'll keep pointing them out.
  • NOS4A2

I haven’t read a single good faith thing you’ve written. So much for truth and lies.
  • NOS4A2
    I’m actually surprised (and impressed) that the fake news about Trump owing the bank of China didn’t make it to this thread. Kudos to politico for coming clean.

• Michael
    I’m actually surprised (and impressed) that the fake news about Trump owing the bank of China didn’t make it to this thread. Kudos to politico for coming clean.NOS4A2

I really think you should stop using the term "fake news" to refer to any kind of inaccurate new report. "Fake news" refers to deliberate disinformation, not honest mistakes. Here you can read what actually happened:

On Friday evening, POLITICO received a statement from a representative for Bank of China USA, which had not been contacted beforehand, that the bank had sold off, or securitized, its debt shortly after the 2012 deal.
    Wells Fargo on Monday confirmed the Bank of China’s statement that it had been listed as a creditor on the building in error. Bank of China said Wells Fargo is taking steps to correct the record with an updated filing.

There was a debt, but subsequently sold off to someone else, and there was an erroneous financial record. So it's not as if Politico were making stuff up or engaged in spin. You can criticize them for not conducting sufficient due diligence, at least with respect to the first issue, but it doesn't warrant being considered "fake news".
  • Deletedmemberzc
    If an authority figure repeats something enough times people will begin to believe it.praxis

“Repeat a lie often enough and it becomes the truth”, is a law of propaganda often attributed to the Nazi Joseph Goebbels.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20161026-how-liars-create-the-illusion-of-truth
  • NOS4A2

I respectfully reserve my right to call sloppy journalism “fake news”.
  • 180 Proof
    Worldwide, these annual epidemics [re: influenza] are estimated to result in about 3 to 5 million cases of severe illness, and about 290,000 to 650,000 respiratory deaths. — W.H.O. website
    Exhibit "A".

CDC estimates that the burden of illness during the 2018–2019 season included an estimated 35.5 million people getting sick with influenza, 16.5 million people going to a health care provider for their illness, 490,600 hospitalizations, and 34,200 deaths from influenza. — U.S. CDC website
    Exhibit "B"

:scream:

Exhibit "C"

In 2020 to date SARS-2 (Covid-19) is reported to have infected over 3.1 million people resulting so far in over 217,000 deaths globally. Annualized (×3) that comes roughly to 654,000 dead.

Exhibit "D" re: U.S. Commander-in-Bleach's ONGOING criminal failure & flagrant misinformation:

U.S. reported cases are over 1 million in 3 months with over 58,000 deaths (roughly U.S. death count during the Vietnam War from 1963-1975) in 2 months or about 348,000 dead annualized (×6) - IFF only 4 million infections (annualized ×4) re: exhibit "B" ... :shade:

addendum :mask:

I WONDER HOW MANY TRUMP VOTERS ARE SMART ENOUGH TO RECOGNIZE NOW THAT THEY DIDN'T VOTE FOR THIS CRIMINAL LEVEL OF MALIGNANT INCOMPETENCE, ETC. :chin:
  • tim wood
    respectfully reserve my right to call sloppy journalism “fake news”.NOS4A2

Well, if you get to call a mistake in journalism fake news, what do we get to call your favorite orange turnip? Give us please a sense of the proportionality you think might be appropriate.
  • Deletedmemberzc
    I WONDER HOW MANY TRUMP VOTERS ARE SMART ENOUGH TO RECOGNIZE NOW THAT THEY DIDN'T VOTE FOR THIS CRIMINAL LEVEL OF MALIGNANT INCOMPETENCE, ETC. :chin:180 Proof

• NOS4A2

Well, if you get to call a mistake in journalism fake news, what do we get to call your favorite orange turnip? Give us please a sense of the proportionality you think might be appropriate.

I’m sure you’ll think of something.
  • NOS4A2
    Rumblings in the Trump-sphere. The president and his allies are saying Flynn was set up and railroaded in light of these revelations.

Not good.

New documents turned over by the Justice Department show FBI officials debated whether and when to warn Michael T. Flynn that he could face criminal charges as they prepared for a pivotal January 2017 interview in which the former national security adviser later admitted to lying about his Russia contacts.

The documents show law enforcement seeming to contemplate in advance that Flynn would lie to them — with an unidentified person even musing in handwritten notes whether their purpose was to induce a lie, before ultimately concluding they should “protect our institution by not playing games.”

“What is our goal? Truth/admission or to get him to lie, so we can prosecute him or get him fired?” an unidentified person wrote in notes apparently taken before Flynn was interviewed on Jan. 24, 2017, four days after Trump took office.

Michael Flynn’s defense claims FBI notes show agents tried to entrap the former national security adviser
  • Benkei
    you don't get to demand respect if you're a disinformation agent Nos. It's good faith towards the wider community here, so that it's clear what you write is 99% spin.
  • Metaphysician Undercover
    Well, if you get to call a mistake in journalism fake news..tim wood

I’m sure you’ll think of something.NOS4A2

A mistaken election gives us a "fake president".
  • NOS4A2
    This is a hard-hitting op-Ed on Michael Flynn’s case by legal expert, professor and attorney Jonathan Turley. These injustices should never have happened to a 3-star general, a war hero. Anyone who hopped on the Russian band-wagon should be ashamed.

https://thehill.com/opinion/criminal-justice/495405-michael-flynn-case-should-be-dismissed-to-preserve-justice
  • tim wood
    A mistaken election gives us a "fake president".Metaphysician Undercover
    I think it's useful for folks not Americans to remind themselves that in the US there are no "mistaken" elections. Bad candidates, agreed. But yours is a gloss the inaccuracy of which blunts any sharpness. It is as if I referred to Queen Elizabeth as a "fake queen" from a fake royal family. See? It just doesn't work.

And just for the heck of it, it seems to me they've done pretty well for monarchs since about 1900, and especially since 1953.
    I think it's useful for folks not Americans to remind themselves that in the US there are no "mistaken" elections.tim wood

That's quite the assertion. Was there, or was there not, foreign interference? If yes, then the election was incorrectly done, i.e. mistaken. Also, I seem to remember some issues in Florida in 2000 which raise the possibility that that one was a mistaken election as well. How many others are there that we just don't know about?
  • tim wood
    Mistaken election is not the same thing as a mistake - or any problem - in or with an election. Category error and and inexplicable failure of language, in which I assumed you were a reasonably skilled native speaker. Yours is a twelve-year-old's error.
  • Banno
    Map.png?format=750w

Traffic+lights.png?format=500w

'merica is at best mediocre. On a par with Mongolia and South Africa.
  • Echarmion

The colouring scheme on that is super confusing. Instead of having a single scheme, they average it out per region. On a quick glance, it looks like the US is comparable to the upper half of Europe. But by the numbers, it's worse than any European country except for Turkey.

If the same standard is used for the world map, the resulting picture is misleading.
  • Benkei
    And this despite the so-called democratic deficit in the EU, which at least is now democratic than the UK. But at least those guys are leaving.

Sorry, I haven't a clue as to what the distinction is that you're trying to make between mistaken election, and mistake in an election. I guess your undisclosed assumptions have gone way over my twelve-year-old's capacity to read your mind.
  • NOS4A2

'merica is at best mediocre. On a par with Mongolia and South Africa.

It’s true, and by nearly every measure. It makes me wonder why foreigners can’t keep her name out of their mouth.
  • Michael
    It’s true, and by nearly every measure. It makes me wonder why foreigners can’t keep her name out of their mouth.NOS4A2

America does make some good TV shows so it has that going for it.
  • NOS4A2

I don’t know about that. Have you seen late night television?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.