• ssu
    Meant more about the situation of a whole thread being deleted.
  • Baden

Oh, right. I suppose closing vs deleting discussions can help with explanations though it does cause more clutter. No easy answers.
  • DingoJones

A sub forum or archive for closed threads?
  • Shawn
    A cemetery....
  • Baden

I'm not sure about that one. Although it would be more practical than some of the other suggestions. You could always post it here: https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/30/feature-requests
  • Baden
    A cemeteryWallows

And this is the obituary pages?
  • Baden

Right, well, went a bit off-topic there. I'll leave this open for the usual period for anyone else who has something to say.
  • 3017amen

Yes Janus I've experienced that which you mentioned, as well.

In an attempt to get the good from the bad, and lessons-learned kind of things, it's inspiration of "how not to be". For example I think sometimes while we get into heated passionate discussions or debates, to be self-aware or disiplined enough where stepping back or allowing more time pass before responding can provide for a better discussion, excetera. I think he probably could have benefited some from that maybe.

Of course we are all guilty of that, to a greater or lesser extent.

One other note of inspiration that I'm gleaning from all this is to try to be more positive in my approach to passionate subject matter. I think people are on here because by and large they're interested in gaining knowledge and wisdom as well as testing and practicing their craft. And if we can remind ourselves of our original intentions, that may go a long way in keeping ourselves in check.

Again easier said than done...
  • Artemis

I'm not disagreeing with whether banning him was the right move, because reposting deleted posts does seem to be asking for it...

But, didn't you accuse him of trolling in that last thread he participated in?
  • VagabondSpectre
    Just here to mark my dismay at the loss of yet another long time poster. What is causing veteran posters to lose their cool all of a sudden?

Ultimately I have no argument against the moderator's decision as I fully understand the practical need for a low tolerance approach. It's just quite lamentable...

I would still like to see a temp ban or an appeal system...We have the technology...
  • DingoJones

Could be boredom, Terra at least was on point, repeating the exact same talking points while lamenting how inadequate everyones responses were (always made me laugh when he called people aspies lol), so I think that he got bored and just said something like “ah fuck it, let them ban me”. S said basically the same thing. I think they are ready to quit and just go out swinging and just push the limits until they get banned.
  • Shawn
    Someone stop cutting the onions.
  • Metaphysician Undercover
    I once thought S and TS were one and the same person.
  • Shawn
    Somehow I feel this is relevant:

WMWGT0x.png
  • Noble Dust
    I certainly didn't get along well with TS or S, but it's weirdly saddening to see them get banned, as long time posters. And I agree with @Wallows, I was waiting for that inaugural Terrapin OP...I think I even called him out on that once...
  • creativesoul
    Terrapin?

Sometimes it's just best to say "ok"... and do it. Especially when someone else who tells you to is the boss of you!

:wink:
  • BC
    Just here to mark my dismay at the loss of yet another long time poster.VagabondSpectre

It is sad.

What is causing veteran posters to lose their cool all of a sudden?VagabondSpectre

We live in an age of diminishing returns. Those who have been here longest have seen the returns diminish the most.
  • Wayfarer
    I don't concur. I think TS' banning was quite justified and that he had had a very poor signal-to-noise ratio for a long while. Obviously the overall quality fluctuates but I don't think it has significantly diminished.
  • Noble Dust

I agree that it was justified, and that he had a poor signal-to-noise ratio, at least in theory...I just find it sad, in a weird way, to see cantankerous folks who boiled my blood suddenly gone. I don't know, it's a weird paradox. Maybe the "iron sharpens iron" trope. Posters who were essentially my polar opposite getting banned makes me feel less...present.
  • Wayfarer
    There’s plenty of people I fiercely disagree with whom ought not to banned. Besides it wasn’t the content, it was the sheer and bald-faced incompetence. And besides, it’s a forum, not the Last Lifeboat Off the Titanic.
  • Noble Dust

True, I'm just one of the few nostalgic types around here I guess. Or if anything, I think the sort of spiritual analogy of being "banned" hits me, or something. It's that pesky Christian-ese.
  • Wayfarer
    I wouldn’t romanticize it too much. Somebody’s always going to get banned.
  • ChrisH
    I'm disappointed.

He was tenacious (but usually calm) when dealing with people who failed to address what he actually said (and this happened frequently). I think this contributed to the impression some have that he was unresponsive.
  • Baden
    Banned @OmniscientNihilist for low quality.
  • DingoJones

He got banned for that stuff in the Life is Sacred thread? That doesnt seem worse than alot of other poor posters that go unbanned...was it because of the quality, or his opinions?
  • Baden

I looked through his history. He didn't make the grade. I don't really know much about his opinions.
  • Shawn

Have at his last posts, which I found alarming:

personally i would want manson to be free simply because of freedom of speach. he has a right to say or do anything he wants as long as he is not physically commiting violence against others himself. if people are being influenced by him then they are ignorant. it would be better to punish and educate them then to blame manson. otherwise its injustice against manson.

same goes for hitler. did hitler even kill a single person himself? mind you this case might be different because he had power over others. he could command someone to be killed for not listening to him.

the level of power matters. if someone has nothing but words and no power then they should not be punished for inciting. because its just freedom of speach
    OmniscientNihilist

Injustice against Manson? Yeah, that's some Helter-Skelter, racial wars, end of the world poop.
  • Baden
    The general lack of punctuation didn't help his case, but he wasn't banned for that or his love of Charles Manson, but overall low quality.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.