• Jamal
    So I'm going to email the developers of PlushForums to request some features. I get a feeling they're pretty conservative and will only consider new features based on demand, but there's no harm in asking.

Here's my list so far [EDIT: sent to developers Oct 25 2015]:

• Reporting posts. To make moderation easier it would be good if posts could be reported or flagged.
    • It would be good to have another option in the user's profile along with a user's comments, discussions and mentions: discussions they have taken part in.
    • Muted discussions. When you don't want to see a discussion appear in the main discussions screen.
    • In "All discussions" it would be really nice to see the category each discussion belongs to (without having to hover over the title).
    • Members would like to be able to delete their own posts
    • Change default ordering in members (or remove ordering by likes entirely)

[EDIT: sent to developers Nov 1 2015]:

• Ignore list
    • Preview edits
    • Superscript and subscript BBcodes
    • Markdown support
    • Post numbers, so that posts / comments can be referred to. This could work like the numbers that appear on hover in the members screen. (These would be sequential within the discussion rather than the actual post IDs)
    • Distraction-free mode when writing a post. Imagine the preview modal but with editing facility.
    • MathJax / LaTeX for logic and mathematics

[EDIT: sent to developers April 3rd 2017]:

• Ignore list
    • Private conversation message preview
    • Poll editing
    • In Customization we'd like to be able to change the body background from white
    • Normal paging in "Comments", "Following", etc., instead of the "More comments" functionality
    • Likes for posts (but not reputations)
    • Retain the formatting when quoting highlighted text
    • Distraction-free mode when writing a post. Imagine the preview modal but with editing facility

What else? I'll edit this post to add more.
  • Moliere
    * Numbering of posts, so that yours would read "1" and mine would read "2"
    * Adding scripts, with the thought that we could put something like "modbot" together
    * Colorcoded names

I understand that all requests may be denied, in the end. But it never hurts to ask, as you say.

Oh --

*shoutbox

if possible. Tho the scripts thing might be able to take care of that too
  • S
    In 'All Discussions', it doesn't show which discussion has come from which category. I'd like that to be added.
  • Jamal
    When you hover over the discussion title the tooltip shows you the category. But I agree it would be nice to see it right next to the title without having to do that, so I've added it to the list.
  • Jamal
    Not sure about those Mol. I'll come back to them.

Oh and I added a quasi-shoutbox in The Lounge: http://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/28/the-shoutbox
  • S
    Ah. It doesn't seem to work on my mobile or PlayStation 4. I haven't tried it on the laptop.
  • Jamal
    Yeah it won't work on mobile. Yet more reason to ask for the feature.
  • Mayor of Simpleton
    Possible something for 'bug report'... which me might need.

I cannot seem to delete a post if I wish to.

The 'cancel' doesn't seem to delete.

Is there a trick to this?

Meow!

GREG
  • Jamal
    I guess we're going to have to be more careful about posting, which is no bad thing. As a workaround you could edit the post to leave just a single character or the word 'delete' or whatever, and PM me a link to the post (which you can get from the post's timestamp) and I can then delete it (or another mod).

But okay, I'll add it to the list. I suspect it's an opinionated software decision, meaning they'll say no. I respect that attitude as it happens.
  • Moliere

I know you can at least edit your posts. Just hover your cursor over your post, and an "Edit" link appears at the bottom of your post.
  • Mayor of Simpleton
    The 'edit' seems to work with no problem.

What happened in my case was that I wanted to quote something and it didn't take. So after posting it, I wanted to add in the quote, but this was not possible. So I tried to delete the post and that was not possible.

So I simply edited the post to the bone and reposted what I intended to post in the first place.

It seems to be once posted it is there (basta) and if you missed the quote, you can't really get that back in either.

I'm sure with time and trial and error (in my case lots of error) it'll be no problem. I'm usually good at tricking systems.

(I just had an idea! I'll try it out.)

Meow!

GREG
  • Mayor of Simpleton
    Update...

Indeed my trick worked.

Now I have what looks like a double post in the http://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/33/things-at-the-old-place-have-changed#Item_8 .

I did a 'cut and paste' of what I did wrong in the first post from what I did correct in the second post.

Now all I need to have is an ad or mod delete one of the posts.

Meow!

GREG

btw... did anyone understand what I just said? Sometimes I manage to confuse myself with myself.
  • Jamal
    Not sure what you mean when you say you can't add a quote when you edit.

ad or mod delete oneMayor of Simpleton

That's an edit
  • Moliere
    No, I don't understand your trick.
  • Mayor of Simpleton
    What I did... (I'll try to get this to make sense)

... was mark a line to quote.

For some reason the line did not take, but only the little arrow and the user I was quoting made it on the post I was trying to post.

I wanted to edit and add the line quote back in, but I could not find anyway to do that.

My figuring was to delete and write a 'do over'.

The delete did not work, so I was stuck with a sort of empty post followed with what I wanted to post.

Now I just had the brainfart to open the correctly written post and copy/paste the quote into the first post where I made the mistake and it took.

I have more or less found a 'long way around' to fix adding a quote if you didn't get it right the first time.

All I'd have to do is quote it again if I was going to post it again. Write it all correctly, then copy/paste that correctly written bit into the post that was incorrect in the edit function. Then, I'd simply cancel the second attempt and there'd be no double post.

(welcome to the world Mayor of Simpleton's guide to computer trickery)

Does that sort of make any sense?

Meow!

GREG

I can actually demonstrate what I accidentally found out if you'd like me to.
  • Jamal
    Greg, you're making me dizzy
  • Mayor of Simpleton
    I'll use that in the next post and here I'll edit in what it is I just did.

This might be fun, if not just plain confusing as hell.

Meow!

GREG
  • Mayor of Simpleton
    Greg, you're making me dizzyjamalrob

Here's your previous post without any content in the quote.

Just fixed it!

Meow!

GREG
  • Mayor of Simpleton
    Here's the magic...

... I'm going to remark the quote, as if I'm going to post again. I will copy the correct bit in this new attempt into the old attempt. and add in the missing bits.

Meow!

GREG
  • Moliere

Hahah. Yeah, that actually made sense. :D

You know, you can mark up the text a bit, too.

For instance, I didn't click quote, but typed this in:

All men are mortal
    Socrates is a man

Therefore, Socrates is Mortal
    — Aristotle

I just used (left bracket)quote(equal sign)Aristotle(rightbracket)(text)(leftbracket)(slash)quote(rightbracket)
  • Mayor of Simpleton
    I'm really slow at these things, but I can usually find a way to trick the computers to do my will even if they think they are dictating my life.

I have to get to the rowing machine now.

My old bones hurt, but it has to be done.

There's no app for that...

Meow!

GREG
  • discoii
    Is there a way to make the All Discussions threads show which subforum each thread comes from?
  • Jamal
    Hover over the discussion title to see the category. But that's not great, I know, so it's already been added to the list of feature requests.
  • Jamal
    I sent an email with all the feature requests. They said:

"Thank you for your feedback. We always consider new options for our roadmap."

And when I pressed...

"We have a major release planned for November, after which we will consider feature requests. Minor feature development depends on demand, and it's too early to assess at this point."

So presumably they've been added to their feature request list and might or might not be included in a release following next month's release. I don't know when that would be.

The features we asked for would certainly be nice to have--especially being able to see the categories at a glance in "All discussions"--but I think the forum's still a pleasure to use without them, so I'm not too disappointed at the slow pace of development.
  • Pneumenon
    Would it be too difficult to implement an ignore function?
  • Jamal
    A simple function in principle, but whether the developers are willing, and when they'd get around to it, I don't know. I can ask.
  • Sir2u
    Ok, now I am really messed up. I cannot remember which threads I have been posting in. I miss the "MY THREADS" function.

While I am here, what is the Lounge all about? It just seems to display random threads.
  • Jamal
    I've asked the developers for 'my threads' already (see the list in the OP). In the meantime just bookmark the discussions you take part in. The Lounge is like PF's Community / Off-topic. It's for social, not-remotely-philosophical stuff. At the moment there's a lot in there about PF, of course.
  • Jamal
    * Numbering of posts, so that yours would read "1" and mine would read "2"Moliere

Added to the OP for the next round of requests.
  • Saphsin
    http://thephilosophyforum.com/following

^ The following page, this one is personally big for me. I would be happy if all the following posts were grouped into numbered pages like the forum and thread pages instead of one page where you have to repeatedly click "more following" to see the posts from the past. Paul was able to easily do this for me back in the old forum. If I'm out for a few weeks and want to scan through what people have been saying, this method is much easier + some other conveniences.

Please tell me if my request didn't make much sense.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.