• Amity
    My word for today is "woebegone." - looking sad, pitiful. A friend was having a bad day yesterday and I described her this way. Feels good to say. Elicits an image in my mind of whomever I am talking about with an expression like Eeyore's. Reminds me of German - they build their words like brick walls, one word on top of another. Love German.

So, please contribute. Let's keep it to English.
    T Clark

No, nein- that's not right, richtig. Contributes to narrow-minded Brexiteernicity :naughty:

I love German too.
    'Ausgezeichnet' is a favourite of mine. It's outtasight. It feels good and bright. Far out, man :cool:
  • T Clark
    'Ausgezeichnet' is a favourite of mine.Amity

"Geschwindigkeitsbegrenzung" and "faust handschuh."

You're really searching back through the rubbish bin, I mean archives.
  • Amity
    faust handschuh.T Clark

What ? Goethe's gloves - Faust 1 and 2 ?

You're really searching back through the rubbish bin, I mean archives.T Clark

Consider me a T Clark stalker :snicker: :love: :gasp:
    I mean 'follower' of wisdom :nerd: :smile: :sparkle:
  • T Clark
    Consider me a T Clark stalkerAmity

Thank you.
  • Amity

Prego :cool:
  • Sir2u
    Experimentation

Experience

20 years of trying to do it right, experiencementation. :chin:
  • Pattern-chaser
    That odd English they speak in the UKT Clark

[Rant]
    I assume you refer to England, the land where the English people live, and where they speak their own language: English? That our language has been copied and mutated so widely is a compliment, but English is our language, and those who live elsewhere do not speak it, they speak variants of it. And why not? Imitation is flattery. But the people of America (for example) speak American. Or, if we must acknowledge the source of their language, American English. It, and all other variants of English are the ones that are "odd", of course. [/Rant]

One of my favourite words is "solidungulate". It just sounds so good!
  • Hanover
    I assume you refer to England, the land where the English people live, and where they speak their own language:Pattern-chaser

The English speak different languages from pub to pub. The variants of English are so specific, I speak August 19th Hanoverian. Today at least.
  • Jamal
    [Rant]...[/Rant]Pattern-chaser

At the risk of taking your rant too seriously...

As I understand the view of linguists, English English, and more widely British English, are just as much variants (varieties or dialects) of English as American English. Why should the variety spoken in the original home of the language be regarded as primary, in a world in which English is a native language in other places? After all, English has mutated in England too.
  • Pattern-chaser
    Why should the variety spoken in the original home of the language be regarded as primary, in a world in which English is a native language in other places?jamalrob

The original strain is primary because ... it's the original strain, and it's primary. English is the language of the English. English is a "native language" in very few places, these days. American is the language that is so widely spoken throughout the Western world.

After all, English has mutated in England too.jamalrob

English continues to develop and grow, in England, its home. :wink: :up:
  • Jamal
    Ah. Now I know I was taking you too seriously.
  • Pattern-chaser
    [Rant]Yes.[/Rant] :smile:
  • T Clark
    yclept - Named. By the name of.
  • T Clark
    Perspicacious - who cares what it means. It's fun to say. Better yet, imagine Sylvester the Cat saying it.
  • Amity
    Sufferin' succotash!
  • Amity
    Effluxion

It has suited [the Brexiters] to ride a wave of ‘just do it’ emotion, born of public impatience. You’re bored of Brexit. I’m bored of Brexit. We all are. But no serious political leader would suggest that we should take a decision of this magnitude by an effluxion of patience.Tony Blair's speech
  • T Clark
    Terrible, horrible, monstrous words.

Why? Because I said so, that's why.

• Opt
    • Gift (as a verb)
    • Lifestyle
    • Spot on
    • Woo
    • Woke (meaning opposed to prejudice)
  • S
    faust handschuh.T Clark

Is that someone trying to order a ham sandwich whilst suffering a stroke?
  • T Clark
    hamS

Bratwurst.
  • S
    Bratwurst.T Clark

Too many syllables. I reckon that would come out like, "Brashvurrrghsh".
  • Amity
    Matutinal

...one of the great joys of our creaking, pink-edged tumble into autumn and the misty creep of winter in the willows is that regular, full-fat, white-flour schlubs can start to live through beautiful sunrises almost every day...

...I am not just crepuscular, but matutinal – one who glories in the dawn...
    Nell Frizzell
  • T Clark

I don't get it. What does morning have to do with red blood cells?
  • Amity
    I don't get it. What does morning have to do with red blood cells?T Clark

Hah.
    I could tell you but then I'd have to bite your neck and suck you dry :death:
  • T Clark
    Sortal - @fdrake used this in a post, so I looked it up. See the Wikipedia description below. Even with that, I can't figure out what it means.

Sortal is a concept that has been used by some philosophers in discussing issues of identity, persistence, and change. Sortal terms are considered a species of general term that are classified within the grammatical category of common or count nouns or count noun phrases.[1] This is based on the claim that a perceptual link allows perceptual demonstrative thought if it enables sortal classification.
  • fdrake

There's a SEP article on them. Other post I used sortals in is referencing type 2.
  • T Clark
    There's a SEP article on them.fdrake

Thanks. I'll look.
  • T Clark
    There's a SEP article on them. Other post I used sortals in is referencing type 2.fdrake

I read the first page. It's still something of a mystery to me. The idea that popped into my head was the Ship of Theseus, which I think is relevant. I might be able to define the word, but I don't think I could say how it might be used. No need to go into more explanation. Unless you feel like it.
  • Amity
    Misologic.
    From @Fooloso4 in the 'Mortimer Adler, How To Read' thread.

'...the dialogues typically end in aporia, but the danger is what he [Plato] calls misologic or nihilism.'

Misology is defined as the hatred of reasoning; the revulsion or distrust of logical debate, argumentation, or the Socratic method. (Wiki)
  • Fooloso4

A few words on the problem of misologic. It occurs in the Phaedo. Socrates is about to die and the subject of discussion is the fate of the soul. He tells some stories that he says are intended to ease the childish fears of death, stories about the immortality of the soul. For some this is satisfactory but the objection is raised that the philosopher does not want stories but the truth. But the truth is that Socrates does not know the truth about such things. It is those who have the highest expectation for philosophy to provide the answers about such things who come to hate what they previously loved when the discover that philosophy cannot do what they desire it to.
  • Amity

Thanks. I should really have posted the full quote; another informative and succinct summary.
    And, of course, there's that other word:
    Zetetic.

Very briefly: the dialogues typically end in aporia, but the danger is what he calls misologic or nihilism. Plato presents a salutary public teaching - Forms, recollection, transcendence, but dialectic always falls short of knowledge of Forms. The public teaching is philosophical poetry. Plato, like Socrates, was a zetetic skeptic. The philosopher is a lover of wisdom is always in pursuit of it and never in possession of it. The image of knowledge is static and timeless but the dialogues are in motion and in continual transition and transformation. They are not based on knowledge the philosopher does not posses but on an examination of opinion. — Fooloso4
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.