• T Clark
    Hoyden - a boisterous girl

Adjective - hoyendish.

I have an affinity for hoyendish girls.
  • Amity
    Clamjamfry

...No doubt with the recent arguments at Edinburgh’s court of session in mind, the declaration itself calls for a written constitution, separation of powers between parliament and government and affirms judicial independence, as well as committing to human rights, transparency of land ownership, and the rejection of nuclear weapons.

As this latest clamjamfry gears up, it’s worth remembering the key role that Scottish artists and cultural figures played in the last independence referendum, on both sides, although more noisily for yes...

- from the Guardian Live.
    — Libby Brooks

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clamjamfry
  • Amity
    Sologamy

"sologamy”, the act of marrying oneself. “It was a slightly tongue-in-cheek statement against the stigma of being single...Lizzie Cernik

The power of ownship.
    Self-partnership.

...an increasing number of “single-positive” people are rejecting the notion that true love is the only path to happiness. Just this week, the actor Emma Watson told Vogue how a “bloody influx of subliminal messaging” had left her “stressed and anxious” because she was heading into her 30s without a husband and baby. Now, however, she is “very happy” to be single. “I call it being self-partnered.”As above
  • Amity
    Gonzo - as in gonzo journalism.
  • Pantagruel
    Cryptomnesia - I just remembered how much I like it.
  • frank
    Projicience

Charles Sherrington's word for the referral of sensory sources to locations outside the brain.
  • Noble Dust
    A word really tickled my fancy today, and I thought "why not start a word of the day thread?"... but something in the back of my mind felt like it already existed...one quick search later, and sure enough. This goes out to our old friend @T Clark who I dearly miss.

Anyway, the word is turbidity.
  • Sir2u
    Anyway, the word is turbidity.Noble Dust

What does it mean? Or do I have to google it. :gasp:

Google now accepted as a verb. Seems a bit bloody stupid though.
  • Noble Dust

The cloudiness of a liquid. Also reminded me of turgid, another old fav.
  • Nils Loc
    the word is turbidityNoble Dust

The tumescence of passion comes before the turbid waters.

I've ejaculated a poetic idiom with double entendre.
  • Sir2u
    I already knew the answer guys, but because it is the WORD of the DAY common sense would dictate the word be defined or at least used in an example sentence.

I've ejaculated a poetic idiom with double entendre.Nils Loc

Get your hands out of your pockets. :wink:
  • Noble Dust

Believe it or not, my enjoyment of both turgid and turbid as words is purely poetic; but the potential for sexual jokes was not lost on me.

I already knew the answer guys, but because it is the WORD of the DAY common sense would dictate the word be defined or at least used in an example sentence.Sir2u

I prefer to present a word of the day without context; I like words because of how they sound, not because of what they mean. It circles back to that thread I made about artist statements...

In that spirit, today's word is French, but has meaning within English in the wine world: vigneron. There is poetry to the word that may get lost without context. But again, I merely present the word. It's poetic potential is based on individual perspective; for me to attempt to provide perspective may only subtract from the word's poetic potential.
  • Nils Loc
    We had come under cover of night to sabotage the vigneron's récolte de raisins.

But the 'Fils de pute' was waiting with a revolver in hand.

"Gout de Terroir!" he shouted as he fired in the direction of René.

I will christen the vignes with his blood if it is the last thing I do. Le sang est le goût de la terre.
  • praxis
    Pareidolia

220px-FaceOnMoonSouthPole.png
  • Noble Dust

I've been looking for this word without fully realizing it, thanks. I may have to add you to the credits to my next album...
  • praxis

You can thank @TheMadFool who was using it to argue that the mind isn’t physical, somehow.
  • Nils Loc
    Unknown to most, Duckrabbit is just an appendage of a much larger pareidolic chimera.
  • Sir2u
    Pareidoliapraxis

Would seeing an image of Trump or Boris and thinking leader count?
  • praxis

There’s no accounting for esurient hearts.
  • Sir2u
    There’s no accounting for esurient hearts.praxis

Give them all a heart shaped cookie/biscuit.
  • Nils Loc
    There's no accounting for insouciant hearts.

There are accountants and angioplasties for esurient hearts.
  • praxis
    Heart accounting is both impossible, because you can’t twist an abacus into the shape of a heart, and incredibly easy because the heart cannot lie. Its beats are like the notes to a song, some skip short and others diphthong long.
  • Nils Loc
    Heart accounting is both impossible, because you can’t twist an abacus into the shape of a heart, and incredibly easy because the heart cannot lie. Its beats are like the notes to a song, some skip short and others diphthong long.praxis

:rofl:

Unfortunately I was slurring vowels together trying to distinguish diphthongs today while skimming leaves out of the ponds. It's based on sound and not the spelling.

So "beer" is a diphthong but "heart" is not.
  • Noble Dust
    Oy, I'm glad to see some activity on this thread, but I worry that we're just divulging into a dick measuring contest about obscure words, which was certainly never what @T Clark, our father, intended.

Words of the day should have a certain something to them, no?

In an attempt to bring things back a bit, I offer a word that to me is interesting, but not one used to measure appendage length, although it's fairly obscure. Maybe I'm speaking in circles now.

Tawdry.
  • praxis
    I’m in the middle of an entertaining tome about an entitled Mr. Vertigo. At least I assume that’s the case, it’s full of twists and turns and it’s hard to predict what will happen next. Many the tawdry diphthongs, I will add.
  • Nils Loc
    The decadence of nobles is always tawdry aside the privations of the common folk.

In some towns there are not the smallest of tittynopes left to sustain even rodent life.

Tittynope maybe the finest and least tawdry word ever to grace any tome of diction. One can grow fat on the tittynopes of nobles.
  • praxis
    Mucho plaudits, that word’s a keeper. I’ll have to concoct a repast this evening that is conducive to the production of tittynopes just so that I can spring it on my unsuspecting dinner companions. Corn on the cob perhaps. There’s always a kernel or two left with those.
  • Nils Loc
    炬燵 Kotatsu (kanji for torch and footwarmer)
    火燵 Kotatsu (kanji for fire and footwarmer)

I still wonder how the Japanese prior to the Westernization of Japan dealt with poorly insulated houses during colder months. The overbearing heat of summer is given as an explanation of large sliding or removable doors which can help air move through the house. But Japanese winters are also brutally cold.

At some time the precursor of the Kotatsu developed, which was a grate for hot coals over which a table top could be placed. Then some-kind insulating cloth/blanket was placed over the table top. You sit with your legs under a table feeling the radiative heat of hot coals with the blanket covering the lower half. I get the idea but it sounds kind of smokey to me but I'm sure everything was smokey back then.

Today electric Kotatsu are still popular because central heating systems are cost prohibitive. How many Japanese sleep under a Kotatsu?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.