• T Clark
    Word of the Day - April 5, 2018.

This, along with many other great things, comes from "National Lampoon" in the 1970s. @Bitter Crank - didn't you say you had read it?

Vagino-American
  • Hanover
    A new word I just coined. Googliniscience - the ability to access the all knowing power of the internet through well crafted searches that will enable you to both prove and disprove any point you wish. As in the sentence, "Joe's googliniscience protected him from the most outlandish claims, where he was able to cite dozens of sources showing that the earth was both flat and round and even non-existence at all."
  • T Clark
    A new word I just coined. Googliniscience - the ability to access the all knowing power of the internet through well crafted searches that will enable you to both prove and disprove any point you wish. As in the sentence, "Joe's googliniscience protected him from the most outlandish claims, where he was able to cite dozens of sources showing that the earth was both flat and round and even non-existence at all."Hanover

This "googliniscience" you speak of has ruined conversations everywhere. We can no longer have long, rambling arguments about meaningless facts. In the good old days, we could argue and argue about what Frank Lloyd Wright thought about Special Relativity. Now, someone will pull out their phone and have the real answer in 17 seconds.
  • Hanover
    Trivia night at the local bar has been ruined as well. If not for the all you can eat hot wings, why go on?
  • T Clark
    Trivia night at the local bar has been ruined as well. If not for the all you can eat hot wings, why go on?Hanover

I love wings, but I've never been in a bar with good ones. If they're so good, why do you have to put crappy sauce on them. I'd rather eat wings from a Chinese restaurant.
  • Hanover
    That means you're boring. I know this is a hard way to find out, but now you know. Your wing needs zing.
  • S
    I'd rather eat wings from a Chinese restaurant.T Clark

Your wing needs zing.Hanover

You call that a wing? I've seen better wings on a dodo.

Zing?

Word of The Day: Zing

The new term for owned, said after saying something witty to someone in an insulting manner.
  • Cuthbert
    I thought zing was how your heartstrings go on the bus when you're in St Louis.

http://www.metrolyrics.com/trolley-song-lyrics-judy-garland.html
  • unenlightened
    Ambiguous - not sure what it means.
    Ambivalent - don't care what it means.
    Ambidextrous - opp of ambisinister. See also evenhanded and oddhanded.
    Ambitious - not sure what to do.
    Ambit - debatable ground.
    Ambient - not sure where its coming from.
  • Cuthbert
    Ambuggd - if I know what any of it means
  • T Clark
    Word of the Day - April 6, 2018

Schmomething - as in Something Schmomething. Inspired by @StreetlightX's discussion "Predicates, Smehdicates."

There's actually a name for it in linguistics - Shm-reduplication.
  • S
    "Predicates, Smehdicates."T Clark

There's actually a name for it in linguistics - Shm-reduplication.T Clark

Yes, "shm-" sounds better. Every time I see that title, it annoys me that it isn't: "Predicates, Shmedicates".
  • Streetlight
    Haha, I wanted to throw a 'meh' in there.
  • T Clark
    Word of the Day - April 7, 2018

I used to tell people I had invested part of my retirement fund in Molybdenum futures, but only because I love to say the word, Mu lib den um, emphasis on lib. Molybdenum, molybdenum, molybdenum. I also like the way the ybd looks. An odd sequence. I like Kyrgyzstan too. Rgyz! Love those "y"s in the middle of words mixed in with lots of consonants.

Molybdenum - A very hard metal element. Atomic number 42!!!

Speaking of elements, now I'll embarrass myself by trying to name the first three rows of the Periodic Table from memory. I used to be pretty good at this, but it's been a long time:

Hydrogen, helium, lithium, beryllium, boron, carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, chlorine, neon, potassium, magnesium, titanium, zirconium, vanadium, chromium, manganese, cobalt, iron, nickel, zinc, arsenic, phosphorous, bromine, krypton.

I know that's not right, but I'm not even going to look. When I want to memorize this kind of thing, I go to Sporcle. I need to spend some more time there.
  • T Clark
    Reykjavik! ykj!
  • T Clark
    This is not the word of the day, but it came up elsewhere.

Dingbat -

1) A typographical device other than a letter or numeral (such as an asterisk), used to signal divisions in text or to replace letters in a euphemistically presented vulgar word.

2) A stupid or eccentric person.
  • T Clark
    Words of the Day - April 8, 2018

Some exclamations I like:

Ahem... - An example of ontomonapia. Simulates the sound of clearing the throat to indicate mild impatience, disagreement, or castigation.

Alas - Exclamation of sadness or regret. As for "alack," it seems to mean about the same thing. Never cared for it. Why do you need "alas and alack?"

D'oh - No explanation needed.
  • Noble Dust
    One of my favorite exclamations is “schmeh”. Denotes a complex feeling of apathy, ennui, disappointment, and indifference.
  • T Clark
    One of my favorite exclamations is “schmeh”. Denotes a complex feeling of apathy, ennui, disappointment, and indifference.Noble Dust

Is it the same as "meh," which my annoying daughter uses a lot when she wants to dismiss what someone else says without any effort?
  • Noble Dust

It’s a variant of “meh” yes, but the meaning is different, as I illustrated.
  • S
    Meh schmeh.
  • S
    Comme ci comme ça.
  • T Clark
    Meh schmeh.Sapientia

I couldn't have said it better myself.
  • T Clark
    It’s a variant of “meh” yes, but the meaning is different, as I illustrated.Noble Dust

Just noted, this emoji - :meh: - is actually called "meh."
  • Noble Dust

Schmeh is more like this: :shade:
  • S
    Shleaf - Like a soul, and can only be expressed in riddles, metaphor and poetic language.
  • T Clark
    Shleaf - it's like a soul, and it can only be expressed in riddles, metaphor and poetic language.Sapientia

In case people don't understand what our friend Sapientia is saying, he's giving me the old razzamatazz about something I said on the "Body and Soul" discussion.
  • Wayfarer
    ‘Limerence’ - ‘Limerence (also infatuated love) is a state of mind which results from a romantic attraction to another person and typically includes obsessive thoughts and fantasies and a desire to form or maintain a relationship with the object of love and have one's feelings reciprocated.‘

In Maureen Dowd’s current column,
  • T Clark
    ‘Limerence (also infatuated love) is a state of mind which results from a romantic attraction to another person and typically includes obsessive thoughts and fantasies and a desire to form or maintain a relationship with the object of love and have one's feelings reciprocated.‘Wayfarer

Ah, yes. A feeling I haven't had in 40 years and don't expect to have again. Thank goodness.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.