• Tristan L
    From six days ago till yesterday, the counter showed that I had 95 comments. Yesderday, I added four new comments, yet the counter only went up to 98 instead of 99. My latest comments are still there. Does this mean that one of my earlier comments has disappeared?

Something similar happened to me before, I think when the counter was in the fourties.

(By the way, I’ll likely soon add a few more comments.)
  • Outlander
    Not sure. However, the amount of comments shown on the left hand side of the page alongside mentions and discussions is not always 100% accurate- it takes some time to catch up- it should be when actually viewing your profile though. Compare and contrast after a few posts, you may see what I mean.

Other than that- unless you use this site the way I do- you should be coherent enough and your posts should have enough personal value for you to remember them and see if anythings missing by scrolling through your comment history. Unless you're one of those guys who thinks what they have to say is so revolutionary they will take down the entire system if left unchecked. (and if so, welcome, you'll fit right in) :grin:

Edit: Also, sometimes threads in which you commented on are deleted. I was quite dismayed after discovering a comment of mine I was quite proud of was no more. Could be that also?
  • Tristan L
    Compare and contrast after a few posts, you may see what I mean.Outlander

Right, but that’s not what I mean. In my case, the true counter (the one on my profile) showed only 97 comments and one discussion when it should have shown 98 comments and 1 discussion, and it stayed that way. Even now, it should show two more (for this case and the one in the fourties).

Other than that- unless you use this site the way I do- you should be coherent enough and your posts should have enough personal value for you to remember them and see if anythings missing by scrolling through your comment history.Outlander

I actually save my comments to hard disk, but to check through a hundred comments isn’t that easy, I think, is it? Mind you, I’m talking about comments, not opening posts. Also, how should folks with thousands of comments do it?

Edit: Also, sometimes threads in which you commented on are deleted. I was quite dismayed after discovering a comment of mine I was quite proud of was no more. Could be that also?Outlander

No, not in my case, for all threads in which I’ve commented (including those which I’ve started) still exist. It’s a pity what happened to your comment. Have you kept a copy of it?
  • Baden

All comments are subject to moderation, including deletion, and the system does not allow for automatic notification. I don't know of any other way your comments would have been lost.
  • Tristan L
    But why should any of my comments get deleted? I’ve never even remotely used hateful, disrespectful, sexually suggestive, offensive, or otherwise bad language. Moreover, all of the topics which I have discussed so far are rather theoretical (though some, especially the one about ideas, do have much practical weight), so there’s even less chance of unphilosophically heated debate, making abusive conduct even less plausible.
  • creativesoul
    All comments are subject to moderation, including deletion, and the system does not allow for automatic notification. I don't know of any other way your comments would have been lost.Baden

:razz:

That's what I figure happens when mine disappear. Usually when I've let my emotions get the best of me.
  • Baden

I don't know, but if any mod reading this deleted the comments, I expect they will explain.
  • Baden
    Usually when I've let my emotions get the best of me.creativesoul

When that happens to me, @Michael usually takes care of it. :cheer:
  • creativesoul

Right. I figure in the end you've(or he's) done me a favor.
  • Tristan L
    It’s just happened again: First, I wrote a new comment, and the counter accordingly went up by one to 118. However, then I added another comment, and the counter stayed at 118 although it should have gone up by one to 119. Then, I wrote a further comment, and the counter went up by one again as it should, namely to 119 (though it should have been 120 by then due to the missed comment before). Then, I wrote this comment.

Could someone please tell me what’s going on?
  • Baden

Probably not.
  • SophistiCat
    It's the biggest FRAUD in history!!!
  • fdrake

I would guess that the Plush Forums servers have a priority system for operations. Putting a post on site I guess will have a higher priority than updating the displayed post count. When the servers are sufficiently busy, lower priority operations will be done noticeably after higher ones. Your post count is currently at 120.
  • Hippyhead
    Let's try to put things in some perspective....

First, this isn't The New York Times, but one of a million tiny forums on the Internutz.

Maybe 12 people will read your comments. They will all probably be anonymous strangers whom you'll never meet. Few of them will care anything at all about you, because you are an anonymous stranger to them too. When you leave the forum for the last time some day, you'll be forever forgotten in about 10 minutes.

Many times readers will scroll right on by your comments, whatever the value of those comments may be. When they do read your comment, they will often just be power scanning so as to most efficiently find something they can disagree with. Some readers won't be able to get what you're saying, or will prefer not to, and will read anything they'd like in to whatever you've said.

Should you by some miraculous accident happen to say something truly insightful and original it will probably go right over our heads, and your typing will have been wasted. More likely, we'll all keep saying things that have already been said a million times before, while claiming the ideas as our original insight personal property.

Whatever you type, whether it is published or not, it's only a matter of time until we blow up modern civilization and you and whatever you've said will be lost forever.

Why should you post at all then???

Because you've learned to enjoy the sound of the keys on your keyboard going clickety clack, clickety clack.
  • Tristan L
    Yeah, it’s not a big deal after all.

Whatever you type, whether it is published or not, it's only a matter of time until we blow up modern civilization and you and whatever you've said will be lost forever.Hippyhead

You’ve got a point, and even if that doesn’t happen, the heat-death is coming anyhow.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment