• creativesoul
    I hold that there really isn't a clear distinction between invention and discovery of ideas...Pfhorrest

This presupposes that all ideas already exist in their entirety prior to being discovered.
  • RussellA
    Considering a statue existing within a marble block before being carved by the artist.

The statue, being art, must have both concrete qualities (in having a physical form that can be directly observed by the senses) and abstract qualities (such as beauty, that cannot be directly observed by the senses).

However, both concrete ideas and abstract ideas are dependent on relationships - whether the concrete spatial relationships between the statue's particles of matter or the abstract conceptual relationships that determine the statue's beauty

In the world independent of any observer, particles of matter exist and space exists. But do relationships exist in a world independent of any observer ?

If relationships do objectively exist in the world, then in the world every possibility is already present, and the artist, when looking at the uncarved marble, can discover the concrete form and abstract beauty of a pre-existing statue.

However, if relationships don't objectively exist in the world, and the existence of the statue's concrete and abstract qualities depends on relationships, then the possible relationships can only exist in the mind of the observer. This means that if relationships don't exist in the world then they cannot be discovered in the world, meaning that they must have been invented by the artist.

My belief is that relationships only exist as mental concepts, because, if relationships objectively exist in the world independent of an observer, then this leads into the mereological nightmare where my pen together with the Empire States Building is a unique object, for example, as unique as a table or chair.

Concrete ideas and abstract ideas are both mental concepts dependent upon relationships and therefore invented in the mind and not discovered in the world.
  • Gregory

I don't think he has clearly distinguished between (1) innate ideas (2) getting all our knowledge from our senses. You have to make that distinction before you can tackle the issue of creative imagination
  • Pfhorrest
    This isn’t about knowledge, so the Rationalist vs Empiricist debate you’re invoking here isn’t relevant. I’m not talking about an “idea that...” something IS the case — a belief, which may or may not constitute knowledge, to which the distinction you’re talking about applies— but rather the “idea of...” something BEING some way, without claiming anything about whether or not it IS that way. Having the idea of a unicorn (imagining such a thing as a unicorn, such as so to write a story about or paint a picture of one) is not the same thing as having the idea (i.e. belief) that unicorns really exist, much less knowledge about their (non)existence.
  • Gregory

I remember when I was improving my spelling in elementary school. I used creative imagination. I saw patterns that strict logic would make you doubt. May be I'm not addressing what your saying :(
  • Janus
    That this language of "discovery" doesn't make a lot of sense (where were they sitting, waiting to be discovered?) goes to my point that in the context of abstract ideas there isn't any difference between "invention" and "discovery". I am not saying that there is no invention, only discovery. I'm saying that neither of those, in senses distinguishable from each other, really works as applied to abstract ideas. In that context, they are the same thing, indistinguishable; we equally make and find ideas, kinda both, kinda neither.Pfhorrest

If you don't think the distinction makes sense in relation to "abstract ideas", what about in the context of technology? Was the steam engine invented or discovered? Or penicillin?

In any case I still disagree with you regarding ideas. When I write a poem, am I inventing or discovering it? I would say inventing because that is different than, say, calling to mind a poem I have previously memorized, which would be an act of discovery of or finding something already there, however complete or incomplete it might be.

Of course I am not suggesting that invention is an act of creation ex nihilo, but it is, I would say in any context, the bringing of some novel form and content into the world, something that had not previously existed. Since discovery is not bringing anything new into the world, either in the physical world or the world of ideas, but rather of revealing something pre-existent, I continue to think the distinction between discovery and invention is a valid and useful one.
  • Luke
    No, I’m saying that in the case of abstract objects like ideas, it makes no sense to differentiate invention from discovery.Pfhorrest

What about fictional concepts/characters? Surely they are invented and not discovered?

Your talk about planets and gold is missing the point: there is a difference there, in concrete cases. But not in abstract ones.Pfhorrest

I find it odd to speak of the "invention" or "discovery" of abstract ideas (only). I had assumed - with respect to creativity - that you weren't just talking about the ideas, but also the realisation of those ideas.

What similar algorithm exists in order for us to "discover" the supposedly pre-existing ideas of the Mona Lisa or the toaster?
    — Luke

Trivially, one could mechanically iterate through every possible series of brush strokes on the canvas (more clearly illustrated if we think of a digital image and iterate through every possible series of pixels) and eventually get the Mona Lisa. Likewise one could iterate through every possible arrangement of atoms and eventually get a toaster. Or instead one could randomly throw together brush strokes or atoms until eventually one got the thing in question — like the infinite monkeys with typewriters producing the complete works of Shakespeare.
    Pfhorrest

This sounds more concrete than abstract.

But getting back to your OP:

I hold that there really isn't a clear distinction between invention and discovery of ideas: there is a figurative space of all possible ideas, what in mathematics is called a configuration space or phase space, and any idea that anyone might "invent", any act of abstract "creation" (prior to the act of realizing the idea in some concrete medium), is really just the identification of some idea in that space of possibilities.Pfhorrest

Perhaps the difference between "discovery" and "invention" in these terms could be viewed as whether the space of possibilities exists completely - awaiting to be discovered - or whether the invention of new ideas help to create and open up new spaces of possibilities.

In relating already known ideas to each other across a space of previously unexplored ideas, new works can give further context and significance to existing ones and draw context and significance from them, and it is that process of connection and contextualization, not mere nondeterministic randomness, that constitutes creativity.Pfhorrest

I'm unfamiliar with the explicit idea that creativity is a result of "nondeterministic randomness". Perhaps creativity could be viewed in contrast to following the same deterministic pattern that went before. Anyway, I broadly agree that creativity is a "process of connection and contextualization".
  • Janus
    Perhaps the difference between "discovery" and "invention" in these terms could be viewed as whether the space of possibilities exists completely - awaiting to be discovered - or whether the invention of new ideas help to create and open up new spaces of possibilities.Luke

For me the "space of possibilities" has either a logical or physical sense; the senses being everything we can coherently imagine as potentially existing or everything that is a real physical possibility.

I'm not seeing how creating anything new could add to or, the obverse possibility, subtract from, either of these "spaces of possibility". I would rather say these spaces of possibility subsist than "exist"; they are not actual, but "sleep" inherently, in logic and physicality respectively.
  • Pfhorrest
    Was the steam engine invented or discovered? Or penicillin?Janus

Yes. These are cases where the distinction doesn't make sense; the possibility of steam power was always there, and inventing the steam engine consists of discovering and making known that possibility; the fact that certain substances produced by molds kill bacteria was always there, and inventing penicillin consists of discovering and making known the usefulness of that fact.

When I write a poem, am I inventing or discovering it? I would say inventing because that is different than, say, calling to mind a poem I have previously memorized, which would be an act of discovery of or finding something already there, however complete or incomplete it might be.Janus

Writing a poem is again that combined invention-discovery of abstract things. Discovering a pre-written poem is the discovery of a concrete artifact, or at least some record of a historical fact that such artifacts were created; the original poet discovered-invented the poem, and you discovered that he had discovered-invented the poem.

Of course I am not suggesting that invention is an act of creation ex nihilo, but it is, I would say in any context, the bringing of some novel form and content into the world, something that had not previously existed. Since discovery is not bringing anything new into the world, either in the physical world or the world of ideas, but rather of revealing something pre-existent, I continue to think the distinction between discovery and invention is a valid and useful one.Janus

Sure, that is the distinction between invention and discovery: one is making, the other is finding and revealing. But all the things that could possibly be made exist already as possibilities in the "world of ideas" as you say -- it didn't only become possible to write that poem because you thought to write it, that was always possible, you're just the first to think of doing so -- so that distinction breaks down when we're not talking about concrete things that come into and out of existence.

That's really the crux of the matter there, actually. Concrete things are temporal: there are times where they don't exist, and times when they do. Bringing them into existence is inventing them; finding out that they already existed is discovering them. But abstract things are timeless, eternal; all possibilities always existed and always will, but their "existence" is just as a thing-that-could-be-made, so neither "finding" them nor "making" them really completely applies -- or both do, at the same time.
  • Janus
    OK, so the valid distinction then seems to be that possibilities are discovered and (novel) actualities are invented. I see no further distinction between the realm of ideas and the physical realm.
  • Pfhorrest
    What about fictional concepts/characters? Surely they are invented and not discovered?Luke

The casual English speaker in me wants to agree that they’re simply invented, but the philosopher in me thinking about what they actually are demands they get the same treatment as everything else we’ve discussed: invention and discovery are the same thing here. It seems like the less obvious a “discovery" is the more inclined we are to call it an "invention", and the more obvious an "invention" is the more inclined we are to call it a "discovery", but they're really the same type of thing, just with a spectrum of obviousness.

find it odd to speak of the "invention" or "discovery" of abstract ideas (only). I had assumed - with respect to creativity - that you weren't just talking about the ideas, but also the realisation of those ideas.Luke

Yeah, as far as invention vs discovery goes, I'm talking about the ideas themselves in the abstract. The realization of them is different... sort of like mapping out the "space of ideas". You're "drawing in" stuff that "wasn't there before" on the map, but you're doing so by "figuring out" stuff that was "always there" in the space.

As far as determination vs randomness goes, I'm talking about that "mapping" process, with the background understanding that such "mapping" is not cleanly either all invention or all discovery. It's that process, and the determination or randomness of it, that's my main concern.

This sounds more concrete than abstract.Luke

I'm giving examples of concrete procedures to algorithmically explore spaces of abstract possibilities. Counting numbers is just as concrete. You can count numbers in your head, but you could also, with sufficiently sophisticated imagination and good memory, step through these other algorithms in your head too.

Perhaps the difference between "discovery" and "invention" in these terms could be viewed as whether the space of possibilities exists completely - awaiting to be discovered - or whether the invention of new ideas help to create and open up new spaces of possibilities.Luke

"Opening up new space" is the exact language I use when talking about the process. In the "mapping" analogy, it's like you've got... actually, let's use a different analogy. You've got literally space, like outer space. It's fully of invisible etheric structures but we can do things to pull them into reality and make them solid. If you pull a structure into being somewhere way away from the inhabited structures everybody's on, that's kind of useless... nobody can get to it, it's inaccessible even though it's now solid out there. If you extend the structures everybody's already on, though, you open up the space that people can move around in... and if you build a bridge between one big structure and another, you really open up space for people from each big structure to now move about to a whole other new kind of structure without having to take a scary disorienting spacewalk to get between them.

I'm unfamiliar with the explicit idea that creativity is a result of "nondeterministic randomness". Perhaps creativity could be viewed in contrast to following the same deterministic pattern that went before.Luke

Contrast with determinism is exactly what I mean. Randomness is the absence of determinism, so those who think determinism is an impediment to creativity (like say, Searle, or anyone who thinks strong AI is flatly impossible) are saying that randomness is required. I'm saying neither randomness nor determinism matters; it's the details of the process (which thus needs to be somewhat determined at least) that make for the creativity.

Anyway, I broadly agree that creativity is a "process of connection and contextualization".Luke

Those details, exactly. :up:

I'm not seeing how creating anything new could add to or, the obverse possibility, subtract from, either of these "spaces of possibility". I would rather say these spaces of possibility subsist than "exist"; they are not actual, but "sleep" inherently, in logic and physicality respectively.Janus

:up: :100:

OK, so the valid distinction then seems to be that possibilities are discovered and (novel) actualities are invented. IJanus

Eh, except the ephemeral "existence" of possibilities makes calling it "discovery" about them kinda wonky too. That's why I think "invention" and "discovery" merge in that regime, and it's not clearly one nor the other but in some ways both or neither.
  • Janus
    Eh, except the ephemeral "existence" of possibilities makes calling it "discovery" about them kinda wonky too. That's why I think "invention" and "discovery" merge in that regime, and it's not clearly one nor the other but in some ways both or neither.Pfhorrest

That makes sense to me. :ok:
  • RussellA
    This relates to the problem of the Knowledge Argument (Mary's Room), the thought experiment proposed by Frank Jackson intended to argue against physicalism.

As regards the Knowledge Argument, I agree that there is scientific equipment that can measure the wavelength of red light. But the question is, is the scientific instrument conscious of the colour red, as we are conscious of the colour red.

As the concrete quality of the wavelength of red light exists independently of an observer it can be discovered in the world, but as the abstract quality of redness doesn't exist independently of any observer it cannot be discovered in the world.

Similarly, scientific instruments could measure concrete alterations in the brain state when we observe a beautiful object, but there is no current scientific instrument that can measure our abstract consciousness of beauty.
  • Tristan L
    Can you mind-read :wink:? I’m asking because you’re saying exactly what I think!
    Indeed, all ideas already exist, only waiting for minds to discover them. Here’s a proof: It’s certainly possible for two individuals, say, Alice and Bob, to come up with the same idea EID independently of each other (this happened e.g. with Newton and Leibniz independently discovering calculus). But what gives us the right to say that they have both come up with the same idea? Well, if Alice and Bob had independently invented EID, then Alice’s EID would be different from Bob’s EID, and there would be no basis whatsoever on which we could rightly say that Alice and Bob came up with the same idea EID. Therefore, Alice and Bob must have independently discovered one and the same idea EID, which is an abstract entity which always was and always will be and whose existence is independent of Alice and Bob.

It is only on ground of both Pfhorrest and I having independently discovered the idea that ideas are abstract and cannot be made and how to show this, that it is meaningful and true that we both came up with the same idea. Like that, we can use the theory that ideas are eternal and uncreated to prove that very same theory :wink:.

Another proof uses possibilities, which Pfhorrest already mentioned. It runs thus: For every idea EID that anyone can come up with, the possibility that someone can come up with EID must have always existed. But since this possibility is essentially tied to EID itseld, EID must also always have existed. I used a very similar argument with the same idea some years ago on another forum to show that coming into existence and going out of existence are illusions.

It would be possible in principle to set out on a deterministic process of mechanically identifying every possible ideaPfhorrest

For example like this: Write a program that systematically outputs all possible finite-length strings of letters: a, b, c, ..., z, aa, ab, ..., az, ba, bb, bc, ..., bz, ..., ..., aaa, aab, aac, ... . For every idea EID expressible in finitely many symbols (including relativity theory, quantum mechanics, Plato’s Theory of Shapes, his unwritten Theory of Principles, the plot, theme and ideas of Hamlet, to name just a few), this program will output a description of EID after a finite amount of time. Does that mean that the mind is unneeded for finding new ideas? Certainly not, for the program doesn’t understand the meaning of the symbol-strings which it outputs. What you still need is a person (or group of people) who reads every string output by the program. The system made up of program and person (or group of people) will find every finitely describable idea after a finite time in a fully deterministic, uncreative way, independently of all other folks who might come up with the same ideas in the more traditional (and efficient) way. This shows that all the ideas must be abstract and uncreated, and it is the nail in the coffin of any claim that ideas are invented rather than discovered. It also shows that while the mind is totally needed and indispensible when finding new ideas, its creative faculty is not needed in the least; rather, what is needed is the mind’s ability to understand, to “see” ideas, and to map symbol-strings to ideas.

I don't accept that; someone needs to come up with those ideas.Luke

We have already shown at length that this claim is indeed false.

What similar algorithm exists in order for us to "discover" the supposedly pre-existing ideas of the Mona Lisa or the toaster?Luke

We have already given concrete examples of such algorithms. The Mona Lisa is made up of finitely many atoms; hence, my algorithm will spit out a complete description of the Mona Lisa after a finite time. The same goes for the toaster – the algorithm will spit out a complete and accurate description of the toaster after a finite time. This description is then read by the reading person in a finite time, whose mind is thus directed to “look at” the abstract idea of the toaster. No invention needed whatsoever.
  • Pinprick
    Computers can do pattern recognition. They can even (mostly) do bad pattern recognition: I asked Google Lens to identify a bush the other day and it told me it was a "plantation", then I asked it to identify a flower and it told me it was "marine life".Pfhorrest

Ok, but unless the programming is altered, it will reliably make the same mistakes (and correct answers), right? IOW’s it’s unable to be spontaneous. Humans are sometimes very rational, and sometimes very irrational, but it’s difficult to predict when they will be one or the other. Simply following code doesn’t count as being creative.
  • Pfhorrest
    But as has already been shown in this thread, just being spontaneous doesn't produce something we would count as creative either. If Google Image search spat out random usually-wrong identifications, we wouldn't call that "creative" any more than it always spitting out the same wrong (but understandably wrong) answer. (My bush photo did look like a field of corn or something, and my flower photo looked a bit like a jellyfish or some kind of blobby sea creature).

In any case, we don't know for sure that human behavior is significantly random either, any more than any other macroscopic system is. It seems very likely to be chaotic -- to produce vastly different outputs from tiny changes to the input, and thus to be very difficult to predict -- but machines can be chaotic too. Chaos doesn't require randomness, it can coexist with determinism.
  • Luke
    I don't accept that; someone needs to come up with those ideas.
    — Luke

We have already shown at length that this claim is indeed false.
    Tristan L

"We"? "at length"? I must have missed it. Can you quote where this was "shown at length"?
  • Tristan L

I must have missed it.Luke

Indeed :wink:.

Can you quote where this was "shown at length"?Luke

Here are some points with which Pfhorrest and I have shown that ideas are eternal and uncreated:

It would be possible in principle to set out on a deterministic process of mechanically identifying every possible ideaPfhorrest

Surely every possibility is already possible, right? There is some (infinite) set of things that are possible, and by discovering that something is possible, we don't thereby become the cause of its possibility; it was already a possibility, we just found it among that infinite set of possibilities.Pfhorrest

What similar algorithm exists in order for us to "discover" the supposedly pre-existing ideas of the Mona Lisa or the toaster? — Luke

Trivially, one could mechanically iterate through every possible series of brush strokes on the canvas (more clearly illustrated if we think of a digital image and iterate through every possible series of pixels) and eventually get the Mona Lisa. Likewise one could iterate through every possible arrangement of atoms and eventually get a toaster. Or instead one could randomly throw together brush strokes or atoms until eventually one got the thing in question — like the infinite monkeys with typewriters producing the complete works of Shakespeare.
    Pfhorrest

Indeed, all ideas already exist, only waiting for minds to discover them. Here’s a proof: It’s certainly possible for two individuals, say, Alice and Bob, to come up with the same idea EID independently of each other (this happened e.g. with Newton and Leibniz independently discovering calculus). But what gives us the right to say that they have both come up with the same idea? Well, if Alice and Bob had independently invented EID, then Alice’s EID would be different from Bob’s EID, and there would be no basis whatsoever on which we could rightly say that Alice and Bob came up with the same idea EID. Therefore, Alice and Bob must have independently discovered one and the same idea EID, which is an abstract entity which always was and always will be and whose existence is independent of Alice and Bob.

It is only on ground of both Pfhorrest and I having independently discovered the idea that ideas are abstract and cannot be made and how to show this, that it is meaningful and true that we both came up with the same idea. Like that, we can use the theory that ideas are eternal and uncreated to prove that very same theory :wink:.
    Tristan L

Another proof uses possibilities, which Pfhorrest already mentioned. It runs thus: For every idea EID that anyone can come up with, the possibility that someone can come up with EID must have always existed. But since this possibility is essentially tied to EID itseld, EID must also always have existed. I used a very similar argument with the same idea some years ago on another forum to show that coming into existence and going out of existence are illusions.Tristan L

It would be possible in principle to set out on a deterministic process of mechanically identifying every possible idea — Pfhorrest

For example like this: Write a program that systematically outputs all possible finite-length strings of letters: a, b, c, ..., z, aa, ab, ..., az, ba, bb, bc, ..., bz, ..., ..., aaa, aab, aac, ... . For every idea EID expressible in finitely many symbols (including relativity theory, quantum mechanics, Plato’s Theory of Shapes, his unwritten Theory of Principles, the plot, theme and ideas of Hamlet, to name just a few), this program will output a description of EID after a finite amount of time. Does that mean that the mind is unneeded for finding new ideas? Certainly not, for the program doesn’t understand the meaning of the symbol-strings which it outputs. What you still need is a person (or group of people) who reads every string output by the program. The system made up of program and person (or group of people) will find every finitely describable idea after a finite time in a fully deterministic, uncreative way, independently of all other folks who might come up with the same ideas in the more traditional (and efficient) way. This shows that all the ideas must be abstract and uncreated, and it is the nail in the coffin of any claim that ideas are invented rather than discovered. It also shows that while the mind is totally needed and indispensible when finding new ideas, its creative faculty is not needed in the least; rather, what is needed is the mind’s ability to understand, to “see” ideas, and to map symbol-strings to ideas.
    Tristan L

We have already given concrete examples of such algorithms. The Mona Lisa is made up of finitely many atoms; hence, my algorithm will spit out a complete description of the Mona Lisa after a finite time. The same goes for the toaster – the algorithm will spit out a complete and accurate description of the toaster after a finite time. This description is then read by the reading person in a finite time, whose mind is thus directed to “look at” the abstract idea of the toaster. No invention needed whatsoever.Tristan L

We have given more than one proof for the uncreatability of ideas. We have also given you the algorithm that you asked for, which can deterministically find the Mona Lisa and the toaster without any need for creativity whatsoever. However, you have yet to answer our rebuttal of your point.

In your quotation of and answer to my quotation of and answer to you, you demonstrate quite nicely that you have made an unsubstantiated (and, as we have seen, false) claim about the nature of ideas without justification, and when irrefutible evidence against it is given, you simply ignore it.

Would you please actually read what Pfhorrest and I have written and then reply to each point?
  • Tristan L
    This presupposes that all ideas already exist in their entirety prior to being discovered.creativesoul

No, it does not presuppose anything. Here’s why:
    Another proof uses possibilities, which Pfhorrest already mentioned. It runs thus: For every idea EID that anyone can come up with, the possibility that someone can come up with EID must have always existed. But since this possibility is essentially tied to EID itseld, EID must also always have existed.Tristan L
  • Tristan L
    When I write a poem, am I inventing or discovering it? I would say inventing because that is different than, say, calling to mind a poem I have previously memorized, which would be an act of discovery of or finding something already there, however complete or incomplete it might be.Janus

When you’re writing a poem, you are discovering it, not inventing it. There’s a fixed, eternal, uncreated 1-to-1 mapping between the set of all poems and the set of all natural numbers. This fact is obvious and uncontroversial. Hence, since all natural numbers are uncreated and eternal, the same goes for all poems.

However, while the poem itself is an abstract entity and therefore uncreatable, concrete instances of it aren’t. When you creatively write a poem, you discover the poem itself, but you invent a concrete instance of that poem. When you remember someone else’s poem, however, you not only don’t invent the poem (this is always the case), but you don’t even invent a concrete instance of the poem. Rather, you only discover a concrete instance of the poem.
  • Luke
    Would you please actually read what Pfhorrest and I have written and then reply to each point?Tristan L

In response to all of your quotes: Possibilities are not equivalent to ideas. I don't deny that such things are possible.
  • Tristan L
    I also don’t think that ideas are the same as possibilities. However, that doesn’t matter. What matters is that ideas are essentially tied to possibilities: For every idea EID, the possibility that someone comes up with EID cannot exist without EID itself existing, and since the possibility must have existed from the start, so must the idea EID itself.

You’ve answered one point (but still have to reply to this my answer to your reply), but not the others:
    • On what ground can we say that Alice and Bob have independently come up with the same idea?
    • How can ideas be created when my algorithm deterministically spits them out?
    • You seemed to imply that one could not algorithmically find the Mona Lisa or the toaster as one can find natural numbers, but Pfhorrest and I have shown you otherwise. What do you say to that?
  • Luke
    On what ground can we say that Alice and Bob have independently come up with the same idea?Tristan L

They each came up with the same idea independently. Isn’t that what you’ve told us? What other ground do you need?

How can ideas be created when my algorithm deterministically spits them out?
    You seemed to imply that one could not algorithmically find the Mona Lisa or the toaster as one can find natural numbers, but Pfhorrest and I have shown you otherwise. What do you say to that?
    Tristan L

I didn’t imply that it couldn’t be done. I asked what algorithm exists. Such an algorithm does not exist.
  • Pfhorrest
    They each came up with the same idea independently. Isn’t that what you’ve told us? What other ground do you need?Luke

He’s asking on what grounds can the independent inventions of two people be called “the same thing”, unless we’re talking about the abstract eternal idea, not the specific instances of them. If Alice and Bob are both programmers and both independently come up with the same new image compression algorithm (say because they’re both programming image software and so facing the same kinds of challenges to which the same solutions are applicable), we must be talking about the idea of that algorithm, not some specific instantiation of it, because Alice and Bob did not both write the exact same (numerically identical) lines of code at the exact same time.

Separate concrete instances of ideas are not the same as each other, only the ideas themselves are the same. But it is only the instances that are clearly made or invented, not the ideas themselves.
  • Tristan L
    They each came up with the same idea independently. Isn’t that what you’ve told us? What other ground do you need?Luke

This has already been answered to the point by . I'd only like to add that Alice and Bob might also come up with the same idea by complete coincidence.

I asked what algorithm exists. Such an algorithm does not exist.Luke

Actually, that is not true, for such an algorithm does very much exist. Here is a working implementation in PASCAL which I have written:

{
    * Copyright (c) 2020 Tristan L. All rights reserved.
    * }

program AllEndlyStrings (input, output);

const
      FIRSTASCII = 32;
      LASTASCII = 126;

type
      tRefChainlink = ^tChainlink;
      tChainlink = record
                     c : integer;
                     next : tRefChainlink
                   end;

var
      charstr : tRefChainlink;
      HowManyTextsNext : longint;
      z : tRefChainlink;
      seekfurther : boolean;
      textnumber : int64;

procedure writecharstr ( incharstr : tRefChainlink );

var
        t : tRefChainlink;
        seekfurther : boolean;

begin
        t := incharstr^.next;
        while t <> nil do
        begin
          write ( chr(t^.c) );
          t := t^.next
        end
      end;

begin
      writeln ( 'Copyright (c) 2020 Tristan L. All rights reserved.' );
      writeln();
      new ( charstr );
      charstr^.c := -1;
      charstr^.next := nil;
      HowManyTextsNext := 1;
      textnumber := 0;
      while 0 = 0 do
      begin
        while HowManyTextsNext > 0 do
        begin
          HowManyTextsNext := HowManyTextsNext - 1;
          z := charstr;
          if z^.next = nil then
            seekfurther := false
          else
            if z^.next^.c < LASTASCII then
            else
              seekfurther := true;
          while seekfurther do
          begin
            z^.next^.c := FIRSTASCII;
            z := z^.next;
    	    if z^.next = nil then
            else
              if z^.next^.c < LASTASCII then
              else
                seekfurther := true
    	  end;
    	  if z^.next <> nil then
    	    z^.next^.c := z^.next^.c + 1
    	  else
    	  begin
    	    new ( z^.next );
    	    z^.next^.c := FIRSTASCII;
    	    z^.next^.next := nil
    	  end;
    	  writeln ( 'Please read and understand the following text #', textnumber, ' if it is meaningful:' );
          writecharstr ( charstr );
          writeln();
          writeln();
          textnumber := textnumber + 1
        end;
        write ( 'How many texts do you want to read next?' );
        readln ( HowManyTextsNext );
        writeln();
      end
     end. { AllEndlyStrings }

You can get the Free Pascal Compiler from here.
  • Tristan L
    What about fictional concepts/characters? Surely they are invented and not discovered?Luke

Not at all; like all ideas and indeed all abstract entities, they are discovered, not invented. However, instantiations of them are invented. Abstractly, there is no difference in realness between Albert Einstein and Sherlock Holmes - both are eternal and have always existed. However, there is a difference between them regarding how either is instantiated in our world: We call Einstein real and Holmes fictional because there is a concrete manifestation of the former in our concrete world as a human being of flesh and blood, whereas the only concrete instance of the latter in our world is as instances of sequences of symbols written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Einstein’s instance was invented in his mother’s womb, whereas Holmes’ instance was invented in Doyle’s head.

Likewise, the very property of being the king of the gods, having might over thunder and lightning, (supposedly) being the god of justice, being a womanizer asf. (and so forth) always exists, and it is the abstract Zeus, a fictional character. That this character itself hasn't been invented by the Greeks is shown thus: If the universe or multiverse is endless, then it's almost certain (probability = 1) that on another planet, sapient living beings will have come up with the selfsame character description of Zeus as the Greeks wholly independently of them. If the Greek Zeus himself had been invented by the Greeks and the alien Zeus himself by the aliens, there'd be no point in calling them the same. However, they certainly are the same, which can only be explained by an underlying eternal abstract fictional character Zeus being discovered by the Greeks and by the aliens independently of each other. What the Greeks did invent is their concrete thoughts about Zeus. The same goes for the aliens. Whether the universe is actually infinite or not is irrelevant; that if it is, there’d be another independent discovery of Zeus, is enough.
  • Luke
    Separate concrete instances of ideas are not the same as each other, only the ideas themselves are the same. But it is only the instances that are clearly made or invented, not the ideas themselves.Pfhorrest

I don't see the issue. I've never denied that ideas are about something, or that they have content. In the example of two people coming up with the same idea, they are each coming up with the same idea. @Tristan L claims that it has been demonstrated "at length" to be false that anybody needs to come up with ideas, yet his supposed proof of this involves two people coming up with the same idea. I thought it was your position that both/neither "invention" and "discovery" are correct, but your apparent endorsement of Tristan seems to confirm my initial assessment that you are in the "discovery" camp.
  • Luke
    Actually, that is not true, for such an algorithm does very much exist. Here is a working implementation in PASCAL which I have written:Tristan L

What does it do? Anyway, I doubt I’ll get to see it spit out every possibility within my lifetime.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment