• Moliere
    Someone mentioned using 180 Proof's avatar for the site -- I like it, but I don't know if 180 does...

Either way, though I must admit my love of Kant -- I've read the critiical series twice, though there are those who do more than my meagre efforts -- I would love to give the face of this forum to somebody who represents an oppressed minority [however much Hanover may protest ;)] like bell hooks?

Discuss [ala the Aristotelian tradition]
    1. What kind of icon? (11 votes)
        Kant
        27%
        Confucius
        9%
        180 Proof
        18%
        Modern, non-reference
        36%
        Marginalized philosopher
        9%
        photograph of people
          0%
  • Wosret
    It ought to be an armchair me thinks. A nice one though.
  • AbsurdRhetor
    A picture of Hegel to scare people off.
  • Jamal
    Well, as you might suspect, Moliere, I'm one of those old-fashioned colour-blind leftists. I don't really go for affirmative action and have a great antipathy to labelling people primarily as de-individualized representatives of an ethnic community. To the extent that I might favour affirmative action socially it certainly wouldn't be in the context of an independent club of amateur philosophers (amateur = for the love). I think it's patronizing and silly. What's the problem: black people hate Kant?

European philosophy is European only in place of origin, not in who's meant to appreciate it, use it and develop it. Like French cheese.

I respect your position and would like to answer more expansively, but, you know, my poor broken arm.

EDIT: But I do agree more attention needs to be paid to philosophers ignored by the tradition, especially if they have been marginalized merely for their ethnicity. (I'm not contradicting myself here, I don't think)
  • Jamal
    But maybe you should add a poll to this discussion, with a choice of philosophers or other things to use as the favicon.
  • AbsurdRhetor
    Real talk, I think it should be a symbol instead of a single Philosopher.
  • Hanover
    I would love to give the face of this forum to somebody who represents an oppressed minority [however much Hanover may protest ;)] like bell hooks?Moliere

My suggestion:
    Attachment
    Rabbi (55K)
  • discoii
    like bell hooks
    As I also brought up this issue, I'd like to throw in my two cents here for bell hooks: oh god no.
  • Baden
    p5kbrccdr44ncv6m.jpg

Maybe along these lines. I'd go for something simple and modern anyway. No Greeks.
  • Wosret

Looks like buddy's brain is buffering.
  • Jamal
    I'd argue that such icons are even more revealing of philosophical prejudices than pictures of Socrates or Kant, because they assume a mental internalism and an excessively Cartesian philosophy of mind. Some of us don't see thinking as just "in the head".

Clearly there will never be agreement here. :D

I do like Rodin's Thinker partly because it shows the whole person, body and all, in a posture of contemplation. But it's become the cliché of clichés.
  • Mayor of Simpleton

I fear this poor chap had a bad result from an MRI.

He should probably get those dots removed. (me speaking from experience)

Meow!

GREG
  • Mayor of Simpleton
    I sort of prefer a happier face, as this is supposed to be fun...

happy-face.gif

YACHT-Icon-RAW-Big.png

laugh3.jpg

canstock4333817.jpg

ugly-stingray.jpg

...just a few suggestions.

Meow!

GREG
  • Benkei
    all-seeing-eye

This should attract a certain type of posters.

EDIT: what am I doing wrong with that picture?
  • Jamal
    EDIT: what am I doing wrong with that picture?Benkei

That URL goes to a web page, not an image. Is the image you want on that page? Which one?

illuminati-signs-Miley-Cyrus-hidden-eye.jpg

Okay I get it. You have to strip out the query string for those images, i.e., everything after the file extension.
  • discoii
    taylor-swift_press-2013-650.jpg
    I guess while we're going that route...
  • Baden
    Serves me right for trying. Philistines...
  • Mayor of Simpleton
    I guess while we're going that route...discoii

Ahhh...

Somthin fer da Dads!!!

... ain't it the truth! :D

Meow!

GREG
  • Sentient
    I agree with AbsurdRhetor that it should be a universal symbol instead of a non-related object or single philosopher.
  • mcdoodle
    Confucius
    Confucius.jpg
  • Moliere
    That's a pretty cool idea, methinks. Like Hypatia, for instance.

Also, poll added.
  • Baden
    Anyway, when we do decide on something, I'll be happy to Photoshop it a bit before sticking it up (at least partly because we don't want to get sued for copyright infringement).
  • Jamal
    Quite like the idea of Hypatia. Anyone object to using her as our favicon?
  • discoii
    Nietzsche or my nudes?Πετροκότσυφας
    Yes.
  • Jamal
    What about this one of Hypatia?
    selywjnw09ihx7ku.png

Here it is at favicon size:
    6bamop497hb7gyja.png

I could maybe up the contrast a little.

This is the Fayum mummy portrait from Roman Egypt, now at the British Museum.
  • S
    I think it should be a symbol instead of a single Philosopher.AbsurdRhetor

I agree. Although the Kant icon doesn't bother me much.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.