• Shawn

Darn, that's some pretty cheap beer. Now I'm thirsty.
  • Shawn
    @Baden would drink in the belly of the day. Haha.
  • Sir2u
    Darn, that's some pretty cheap beer. Now I'm thirsty.Posty McPostface

Want me to pass you an ice cold CEZKA?
  • Shawn
    Want me to pass you an ice cold CEZKA?Sir2u

Nah, I'm heading off to sleep. Cheers regardless. :smile:
  • Jake
    So, what makes a good thread a good thread?Posty McPostface

I opine brilliantly and then everyone applauds loudly and celebrates my genius.
  • Metaphysician Undercover
    I do not know how to define a good topic. It seems to be the case that [what seem to be] good topics presented properly can be derailed by posters who wander off into the weeds. Whether it is the posters or the topic that is the problem could be tested by posting a splendidly well-structured OP, then allowing posters from Group A, who have a record of responding to posts in an on-point, orderly manner to respond in one thread. Group B, who have a record of responding to posts in a fashion that disrupts orderly discussion would be allowed to respond to the topic in a second thread.Bitter Crank

How would you distinguish members of group A from members of Group B? I think posters such as myself, stay on topic when the topic is sufficiently interesting to us. But when we are bored, like I am right now, we'll partake in threads which are lacklustre and of little interest. Then we'll wander off into the weeds.
    Incidentally, it's the threads which have a lot of wandering and nonsense, which get the large post counts.
    Ask Banno, the master of large post counts.
  • unenlightened
    So, what makes a good thread a good thread?Posty McPostface

It goes to church on Sunday, and cleans its teeth twice a day, and likes beer.

Or is that a good supreme court judge?

Size isn't everything, and speed isn't either. My ideal for my own threads is to garner just enough responses to keep it on the front page for a few days, and end up with maybe 3 - 5 pages. To be provoked to new thoughts, to be pointed to new sources, to make new connections, come to a new understanding. I want a few thoughtful, challenging replies, not a stream of instant to-ing and fro-ing
  • BC
    Size isn't everythingunenlightened

Bigger usually is better.
  • javra
    Size isn't everything
    — unenlightened

Bigger usually is better.
    Bitter Crank

According to the Kama Sutra, this is not true. Elephants are better for elephants and rabbits are better for rabbits, usually. I suppose ducks should have been included in all this (with ducks it gets tricky though, size doesn’t really apply to something not had). Just saying.
  • Jake
    Bigger usually is better.Bitter Crank

He he.... :smile:

Alright now, cut it out, there are many children present.
  • Sir2u
    Alright now, cut it out, there are many children present.Jake

And most of them could probably teach you and me a thing or two. :yikes:
  • BC
    And I was just thinking of a piece of blueberry pie!

What was that about ducks? Geez, people obsessed with duck smut. Ballistic penises and corkscrew vaginas...

"Normally, the duck keeps its penis inside-out within a sac in its body. When the time for mating arrives, the penis explodes outwards to a fully-erect 20cm, around a quarter of the animal’s total body length. The whole process takes just a third of a second and Brennan captures it all on high-speed camera. This isn’t just bizarre voyeurism. Duck penises are a wonderful example of the strange things that happen when sexual conflict shapes the evolution of animal bodies."

Donald_Daisy.adapt.352.1.jpg

Have you ever noticed how Donald Duck almost never shuts his mouth? You would think he would get cramps in his head and neck holding it open all the time.
  • Sir2u
    And I was just thinking of a piece of blueberry pie!Bitter Crank

Some call a moderator, this is definitely off topic.

And thank you for the detailed explanation of a duck's sex organs. Thank the lord you did not find a video about it.
  • Sir2u
    Has anyone one else thought about how well this thread is progressing?
  • S
    Or are Rogerian agreements all about pragmatism in a consensus based belief system?Posty McPostface

Pikachu. What's yours?
  • Shawn
    This thread lacks direction. I suggest we close it.
  • Sir2u
    This thread lacks direction. I suggest we close it.Posty McPostface

Just thought of something else a thread should not have, negativism.

As a wise Martian, Uncle Martin, once said "The mind is like a parachute, it works best when it is open"
  • Caldwell
    90% of all of my OPs have failed to appeal to more than a few people. Either it's the way I pose topics, the topics itself, or personal animosity toward me.Bitter Crank
    I laughed at this! :grin:
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    This thread lacks direction. I suggest we close it.Posty McPostface

Noo!! Please don't! This thread is one of the ones that make me smile based upon the levity and those in attendance! :flower:
  • Wheatley
    Another question that is relevant is - what type of threads do you like? And what type of threads don't you like ( don't say my threads :joke: )?
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.