• dussias
    Treating philosophy as science.

(I think)
  • 180 Proof
    Clear, concise, cant-free anti-sophistry (i.e. demystifying bullshit via dialectics).

Treating philosophy as science.dussias
    Bullshit. (e.g. Wittgenstein, Popper, Meillassoux)
  • Philosophim
    1. Sound Logical thinking

This is probably the pillar of professional philosophy.

2. Clear Communication

Language is a tool to convey our ideas. You should use the most simple and clear terms to convey your idea. The less time people spend trying to figure out what you are saying, the more time you get to discuss about the idea itself.

3. Relatability

You may be using clear and logical language, but if you do not relate to your audience, you will be ignored or misunderstood.

4. Premises grounded in reality

You may have a very interesting and logical theory, but if it is not grounded in reality, it is pointless. See Leibniz' Monad theory versus atomic theory.

5. Humbleness

This means knowing your limitations, acceptance of criticism by others, and the willingness to admit when one is wrong. These are the people who become masters at the craft, and never stop improving and learning.

There are almost certainly more attributes to add. But for myself, every philosopher I have read and spoken with who I respect and value has had these five attributes.
  • Outlander
    All the typical stuff mentioned .. but also being able to have a dialog of considerable length with someone who holds an opposing view. Not everyone can do it.
  • dussias
    You may have a very interesting and logical theory, but if it is not grounded in reality, it is pointless.Philosophim

Elaborate, please.

Being able to have a dialog of considerable length with someone who holds an opposing view. Not everyone can do it.Outlander

Greatly underestimated skill.

Clear, concise, cant-free anti-sophistry180 Proof
    Might we adopt this as a new definition of philosophy!? Quite good.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.