• Jamal
    No problem :smile:
  • Michael
    Funny how people always think that people they agree with are good posters.Benkei

This is definitely a thing. But personally speaking I can appreciate quality posts that I don't agree with. For example, I think you're a good contributor despite being full of shit.jamalrob

Denying the antecedent, or at the very least a non sequitur.
  • Jamal
    Denying the antecedent, or at the very least a non sequitur.Michael

In fact, I was warning against that fallacy. If I admit to sometimes judging posts or posters that I agree with as good, simply because I agree with them (which was implied), then it's reasonable for me to make it explicit that if I don't agree with them, I might still think they're good. Humour demanded a level of subtlety that it appears you, Michael, cannot reach. :wink:
  • Harry Hindu
    I don't expect much from a site that has streetlightx as a forum mod but banning Asif for "low quality" is quite amusing. I wonder what he said that got him banned?Judaka
    I think it has to do with the rate of low quality vs good quality. SLX might be close to the bannable rate but hasn't yet crossed it.

Funny how people always think that people they agree with are good postersBenkei
    Funny how people talk about other people without realizing that they are a person too. Mods are people too. Isn't that a conflict of interest for a mod?
  • Judaka

That was my conclusion too and what made me change my mind, if that's the logic then I suppose all the inconsistencies I saw are explained.
  • Benkei
    Funny how people talk about other people without realizing that they are a person too. Mods are people too. Isn't that a conflict of interest for a mod?Harry Hindu

I'm sorry to hear you experience disassociation so often that you think other people have problems with it too.
  • Frank Apisa

Why the heck was my thread shut down.

It was a reasonable subject for a philosophy forum...and while I set it up in an aggressive manner, the point was to stimulate lots of discussion.

We were all getting along just fine. Nobody was going over-the-top...and it was interesting.

I know the answer is going to be the fall-back, catch-all "low quality"...but holy moly...you folk are getting awfully picky about what is "low quality."

C'mon. We can keep the quality up in the forum without undue censorship.
  • A Seagull
    Can someone quote something from Asif that had any sort of philosophical thinking going on?creativesoul

"As I have already stated above all truths are descriptions. And some descriptions are false.
    The key is that all truths are descriptions,not that all descriptions are true."

Also in his debates with Tim Wood, my sympathies are entirely with Asif, as Tim would post some absurd non-sequitors that were little short of ad hominems.
  • Baden
    Why the heck was my thread shut down.Frank Apisa

I don't know but this comment is in the wrong place. You can start a feedback thread or wait for a PM.
  • Frank Apisa
    Baden
    — Frank Apisa

I don't know but this comment is in the wrong place. You can start a feedback thread or wait for a PM.
    Baden

Thanks, Badden.
  • Banno
    For you, repeatedly asserting "all truths are descriptions" without any suporting argument counts as philosophical thinking?
  • A Seagull
    ↪A Seagull For you, repeatedly asserting "all truths are descriptions" without any suporting argument counts as philosophical thinking?Banno

Of course.
  • Changeling

It was a reasonable subject for a philosophy forum...and while I set it up in an aggressive manner, the point was to stimulate lots of discussion.

We were all getting along just fine. Nobody was going over-the-top...and it was interesting.

I know the answer is going to be the fall-back, catch-all "low quality"...but holy moly...you folk are getting awfully picky about what is "low quality."

C'mon. We can keep the quality up in the forum without undue censorship
    Frank Apisa

I don't know but this comment is in the wrong place. You can start a feedback thread or wait for a PMBaden

Another example of a confusion that could be cleared up by the mod posting why a thread was moved/deleted.

Perhaps a similar thread to this one could be set up but geared towards moving/deletion of threads.
  • DingoJones

Its fine the way it is, stop bitching about it and concentrate on making better threads/OP’s.
  • Hanover
    Obviously, each of us might ban different users for "low qualityJudaka

There will always be some element of subjectivity in what is and isn't low quality, but, as a professor explained to me once in response to the complaint that essay exams are overly subject to subjective grading, the same students have an amazing knack of failing all their essay exams regardless of who the grader is.
  • Changeling
    Its fine the way it is, stop bitching about it and concentrate on making better threads/OP’sDingoJones

You're the one bitching with your snide little comment. The opacity of mods actions regarding threads needs to be done away with.
  • Banno
    You don’t have to be here.
  • Changeling
    I'm mainly here to read unenlightened's comments and post anti-CCP and anti-putin diatribe.
  • Punshhh
    We should remember that the mod's are just trying to archive the forum in a credible way for posterity. This might come across as weird sometimes, but we're all struggling right now, with this virus (please excuse the sarcasm).

P.s. I too bow down to the Unenlightened one.
  • Michael
    The opacity of mods actions regarding threads needs to be done away with.Professor Death

You're free to ask us when something is deleted.
  • unenlightened
    Funny how people always think that people they agree with are good posters.Benkei

This is definitely a thing.jamalrob

I agree, well said.
  • Hippyhead
    Its fine the way it is, stop bitching about it and concentrate on making better threadsDingoJones

Let's see your better threads please. Thanks.
  • DingoJones

Im not out there bitching about my threads getting moved you fucking dipshit. If I was you would have a point, but im not so you dont.
    I cant remember a single douchebag with these painfully stupid threads that get deleted or moved actually make a good one. Its always starts with this muddled, dogmatic talking point that they preach over and over again whether its pertinent or not. Then when they dont get the recognition of brilliance they think it deserves they make an equally unimpressive thread demanding peoples attention to their ill conceived pet philosophy/talking point.
    Its just a bunch of arrogant, ignorant, Dunning-Krueger dummies who are aggressively wrong and right only by accident. And yes, this includes you, so take your brainless commentary about what I said to somebody else, shine it up, put a nice little bow on it and shove it up your ass.
  • 180 Proof
    :clap: :clap: :clap:
  • Changeling
    @DingoJones doesn't dare start their own threads for fear of their own Dunning-Krueger dummy sensibilities. They just bitch in here about others.
  • Changeling
    syco[p]hant ¤《》
  • Jamal
    I banned @Frank Apisa for his low quality posts.
  • Gus Lamarch
    I banned Frank Apisa for his low quality posts.jamalrob

He had over 2k posts in less than a year; it is not surprising that they were of low quality.
  • praxis
    Was it low quality or gaslighting? We can only make a blind guess.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.