• unenlightened
    Alas, we have lost a Humean.
    Alas, not all Humeans are humane.
    Alas, philosophers are not always virtuous.
  • Isaac
    I banned S,jamalrob

Well, that's a real shame. I've had a few disagreements with S in my time here. Firstly he was no worse than someone like @StreetlightX in his abusive tone (and StreetlightX is a moderator), but most importantly, I'd take his abrasive angst (and StreetlightX's) over the the condescending ("you obviously don't understand, here's some quote from Plato... "), or the passive-aggressive ("I'm just going to ignore you from now on") that seem the standard response to disagreement here.

Philosophy is meant to be done with a bit of passion.
  • Shamshir
    I had such hopes for him and to find this surprise, just dashed them. I feel terrible.
  • Benkei
    All with moderation, of course. And while you were fine with it, not everyone was.
  • Baden
    I am maybe one of the few people who likes @S, but it was absolutely the right decision.
  • Baden
    Philosophy is meant to be done with a bit of passion.Isaac

His passion was not what ultimately got him banned. It was the "fuck you... ban me" bit.
  • Artemis

Same.
    The forum won't be quite the same without him.
  • Hanover
    His passion was not what ultimately got him banned. It was the "fuck you... ban me" bit.Baden

Yeah, and we did offer him an opportunity to explain himself, which he ignored, so I doubt any of this came as as surprise to him, even if it does to others.

I really did like S. We had some good times, but what can you do if someone tells you to fuck off and to ban them when they are being moderated?
  • Isaac
    His passion was not what ultimately got him banned. It was the "fuck you... ban me" bit.Baden

Yeah, I understand why. I didn't mean my comment to be read as any disapprobation of the judgment, just it's a shame, that's all.

There's half a dozen members I'd rather were banned for mundanity, but I suppose that's not a bannable offence.
  • DingoJones

I agree with you, S was at least interesting but what can you do? He wanted to be banned, so I don’t see much of a choice for the mods but to accommodate him.
  • Terrapin Station

It's pretty childish to ban someone over that, though, especially given the comments he'd made after that. (Which isn't to say that that wasn't a childish response from S, but that doesn't justify a childish banning in response.)

But I'm not in favor of banning anyone unless they're spamming in the sense of flooding the board with threads or posts that aren't at all conversational.
  • DingoJones

If they express a desire to be banned though? How is that childish? There are rules with consequences and S not only broke the rule but essentially dared the mod to ban him. He was only going to get worse, cuz he just didn't care anymore, didnt really want to participate anymore.
  • Terrapin Station

He almost immediately said that he only suggested banning because he felt he was spending too much time here. In other words, he didn't really want to be banned, but was looking at it like, "Well, at least if I'm banned it will force me to not waste so much time here."

The childish part of the response was the petulance of the "fuck you" after having a bunch of posts removed.
  • Baden

Thanks for your input. I'll put that one in the suggestion box.
  • Terrapin Station

Is that the circular file in the corner?
  • DingoJones

My impression was that he was unable to resist the pull of argument, that he wanted to be banned so he couldnt talk himself into coming back into bang his head against the wall. I think it had become toxic for him, and being banned takes away the opportunity for him to make a poor decision. Im basing that not just on his public posts but private conversation we had as well.
    Childish or not childish, you arent allowed to just say “fuck you”. If you do, you court being banned, depending on the rules not being enforced in order to continue on the forum
  • unenlightened
    His passion was not what ultimately got him banned. It was the "fuck you... ban me" bit.
    — Baden

It's pretty childish to ban someone over that, though, especially given the comments he'd made after that.
    Terrapin Station

I think I would not ban over the abuse. Pm 'fuck you's are par for the moderation course. But the 'ban me' challenge is a fairly explicit refusal of moderation and declaration of intent to continue. It leaves no other option. You don't have to agree, but you have to submit. On the old forum we had a submit button rather than a post comment button that made this a little clearer.
  • Terrapin Station
    you arent allowed to just say “fuck you”. If you do, you court being banned,DingoJones

Although, as I said, I think it's childish to ban someone just for that. (Whether it's the policy or not. It's a childish policy to have.)
  • Shawn
    I don't like repeating privy information but @Pattern-chaser explicitly told me that he left because S was harassing him. And I have no reason to believe Pattern Chaser was a paranoid bloke...
  • Terrapin Station
    I don't like repeating privy information but Pattern-chaser explicitly told me that he left because S was harassing him. And I have no reason to believe Pattern Chaser was a paranoid bloke...Wallows

That's too bad. I liked pattern-chaser . . . and actually didn't realize he'd split until you just pointed this out. But yeah, I haven't seen any posts from him for a bit.

[Edit: I just noticed that his profile now says, in his "about" section, "Autistic. Driven from this forum by trolls."]
  • Terrapin Station
    Maybe a temporary ban would work for S? I don't know if we usually do temporary bans. But give him a month off or whatever and maybe that would enable him to make a fresh start here if he's still interested after that. He could be a good contributor at times.
  • DingoJones

Well, it might be a childish rule, but enforcing the rule isnt childish itself. I dont agree with the rule either, but a rule it is. The “adult” thing to do is advocate for a rule change, rather than specific rules exemptions.
  • praxis
    Sounds like he wanted to be banned. Probably because of the shame he felt always losing arguments with me. He’ll be missed.
  • DingoJones

Ive actually had experience with Pattern Chaser in other forums, where he does the exact same thing. He claims to be picked on and abused, and plays the victim card for his alleged disabilities when no one responds with a warm blanket and trauma counselling. He never used to have disabilities either.
    S was spot on in what he said about Pattern Chaser, he is not an honest actor in discourse.
  • schopenhauer1
    S crossed the line into troll too many times. Every attack from him seemed like he was personally offended by any argument he disagreed with. He used disparaging remarks that were meant to incite and get the argument into rabbit-holes of frustration. I'm not surprised he said "fuck you" and dared the moderators. It's one thing to be passionate, and it's another to be some forum imp waiting to aggravate people at every turn. I did say this to him one time in one of our long-standing debates (which never seemed to end)..

As an aside, you realize, you don't win arguments by showing the most disdain, right? Dispense with the theatrics of snobbery and condescension and actually debate instead of inflate your own ego. See, I feel bad even calling you out on this shit..but that's the difference between me and you.. You don't feel bad.. Again, something odd there. If it is a debate tactic to be patronizing, it sucks. If it is your personality, I'd do some soul searching. If it is just you trying to get a rise out of people, knock it off and just focus on the arguments. — schopenhauer1

That in a nutshell was my frustration with him. If he just knocked off being an asshole, he would could have been a fine forum participant. There are ways to disagree without being disagreeable.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    S~My guess is that you are able to read this thread since it is on the main page, so I will take this opportunity to thank you. I am not Thanking you for the way in which you are departing but for all that you have contributed over the past decade +.
    Sapientia, it took me a while to learn how to spell your name and even longer to understand your ways through life but I owe you a Thank you for being you. From the beginning of our relationship we both embraced the absurd and I searching for logic that you seemed to not just possess but could dispose of it at any time. You took the Devil's advocate side of any debate and that is a skill, one that I am still trying to learn. Your contributions much like life have been a reflection of the times and that I will miss.
    So Sapientia, please know that our friendship is something that I treasure, you are someone that I will never forget and that you made a difference in my life. Thank you :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • Shawn
    alleged disabilitiesDingoJones

I'm just going to pass this over in silence...

Actually I seemingly didn't get to this part:

He never used to have disabilities either.DingoJones

Are you OK?
  • BC
    I am maybe one of the few people who likes S,Baden

I like @S.

He wanted to be banned, so I don’t see much of a choice for the mods but to accommodate him.DingoJones

Sounds like getting shot-by-cop suicide.

If he just knocked off being an asshole,schopenhauer1

"First they came for the assholes, and then there weren't many left."

Thanks for a positive comment on @S.

BTW, @S, you should have stuck with Sapientia.
  • DingoJones

Indeed, good analogy.
  • unenlightened
    Thanks for a positive comment on S.Bitter Crank

Well thanks for noticing my eloquent eulogy up the top of the page. not. :cry:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.