David Mann? - sax
    Oz Noy - guitar
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    After the Thrill is Gone - The Eagles
  • Mental Forms
    Lol... too much hip-hop? Sorry.....
  • Pinprick
    Lol... too much hip-hop?Mental Forms

No. It provides a much needed respite from the pages of classical, jazz, avant-garde, etc. posted here. Keep ‘em comin’!
  • Mayor of Simpleton
    申し訳ありませんが、日本からジャズを投稿することに戻りました。

(I'm sorry, but I'm back to posting jazz from Japan.)

• Mayor of Simpleton
    カウボーイビバップファンのために...

(For "Cowboy BeBop" fans ...)

• Mayor of Simpleton

Recently I tend toward avoiding music from 'the West', but if (western) hip-hop... well for me... this...

• Mental Forms
    No. It provides a much needed respite from the pages of classical, jazz, avant-garde, etc. posted here. Keep ‘em comin’!Pinprick
    Glad to hear that you liked them enough to insist on some more. As to your want for them to keep on coming, I’ll happily oblige & post the few songs that I played for myself when walking home last night (hopefully you’ll like them as well).

• Mental Forms
    Never heard of them before (more than likely ‘cause they’re not a hip-hop act proper, but a funk one), though I still liked it. Yet I definitely recognized the three guys who’re rapping on that song; two of them are members of “Jurassic 5,” while the other is a member of “People Under The Stairs.” In light of that, I’ll post a song from each group; seeing as you liked a song on which they’re featured, you also might like their own songs (although I’m far from certain about it).

• Mayor of Simpleton

Thanks for the songs. I'm quite familiar with them both (and have them in my collection).

I used to follow much more music from hip hop, as well as soul/funk/hip hop or is it hip hop/soul/funk or funk/hip hop/soul... I get all the specifics of genres mixed up, as I simply like what I like. ;)

I have to say my interests have definitely shifted toward Japan (music and much more), still I'm open to a multitude of genres.

At the moment I find Japanese Math Rock, Modern Jazz and Shoegaze/Dream Pop and classic Shibuya-kei are my got to musical interests. Things change over time, but that's OK.

Keep on posting the music you like and it's all good.

(but there is a bit of Japanese hip hop I can plague people with... すみません ;) )

• Pinprick
    (I'm sorry, but I'm back to posting jazz from Japan.)Mayor of Simpleton

Not sure if your apology is directed at me, but I think I may have been misunderstood. My comments about the genres posted here weren’t meant to discourage anyone from posting anything. There’s some of that I actually like. I just didn’t want @Mental Forms to feel out of place. Well, that and I do like hip-hop. :grin:

• Mayor of Simpleton
    Not sure if your apology is directed at me, but I think I may have been misunderstood. My comments about the genres posted here weren’t meant to discourage anyone from posting anything.Pinprick

Actually your observation was clearly correct, as the posts were mostly jazz, classic or experimental.

Basically I listen to Japanese jazz, math rock, shoegaze/dream pop, shibuya-kei and just a small bit of classic/alternative 80's/90's pop, so it's likely I'd still be posting the 'same old same old'... kind of ironic, as outside of this thread it's anything except the 'same old same old'.

My personal tastes in music has really changed over the past few years and quite drastically over the past decade. Perhaps it's just me becoming a victim of my age, as I rarely find much on the mainstream radio that can hold my attention for more than a few moments. Indeed a few artists are intriguing, but they seem to have become few and far between.

Also, let's face it... I'm likely one of the only one's who'll be posting music from Japan, so I realize the audience is very limited for these choices. It's not with the intention to be 'special' or to stand out in a crowd, but rather it's actually what I spend most of my time listening to these days. Kind of odd in a way, as I was known for using 80's/90's pop music to explain everything in philosophy and used to post an endless stream of that sort of thing with every post, whether it really fit or not.

Since I no longer like to engage in philosophy, as it has become far less about an exchange of ideas than it has become more socially diseased with critique competitions, shit posts, territorial pissing and symbolic penis measuring contests (yes... I just said that and I stand behind it) I now try to stick to posting unsolicited music that likely most folks have never heard of before (and will likely forget soon there after)

I'll deviate from my abnormal norm and just post this as kind of a better explanation and a super difficult translation: ビスケットで彼をつかむだけ

• Mental Forms
    Thanks for the songs. I'm quite familiar with them both (and have them in my collection).Mayor of Simpleton
    I definitely should’ve first asked if you know, before posting anything by, them. Lol, my mistake.

I have to say my interests have definitely shifted...Mayor of Simpleton

Things change over time, but that's OK.Mayor of Simpleton
    No doubt about that. Music is significant only if it moves you, literally &-or figuratively speaking; & due to repetition, songs or whole kinds of music can eventually fail of that effect. So I completely understand that tastes can & do change with time. Again, no doubt about it.

Keep on posting the music you like and it's all good.Mayor of Simpleton
    Likewise, bro. :cool:

(but there is a bit of Japanese hip hop I can plague people with... すみません ;) )Mayor of Simpleton
    You know, I really don’t listen to a whole lot of non-English (speaking) hip-hop (as lyricism & lyrical content are a big part of hip-hop, & I just don’t understand the lyrics of non-English [speaking] hip-hop), but I can & do make exceptions if I like the beats/instrumentals. So, with that being said, I have to say that I actually did like the beats/instrumentals of the first & the last Japanese hip-hop songs that you posted.

Also, in saying that, I’ll take the liberty of posting one non-English (speaking) hip-hop song that I do actually listen to from time-to-time (a friend of mine just so happened to play it once, a long time ago, & I was hooked by the beat/instrumental & the performer’s cadence & tone on it [even though I don’t understand but a word or two & the chorus]).

I just didn’t want Mental Forms to feel out of place.Pinprick
    I appreciate your effort to assure me of that with an actual reply; like, for real. :up:

Also, I’ve never heard that Saul Williams song before (t.b.h., I’ve probably never heard any song by him, though the name does sound familiar). It was sweet. Yet the opening line of that Saul Williams song, I’m not sure if you know this or not, is actually taken (I’m certain, by way of inspiration) from Biz Markie’s the “Vapors.” It’s said at 0:34 into its video.

• Changeling
    @Noble Dust agree?

@Agent Smith this DJ is named after you
  • Noble Dust

It's nice, something I would play at work if I was out of ideas.

Kendrick stole the half time show, obviously:

edit: it should work, just click "watch on youtube" and go to 7:07 (or watch the whole thing)
  • 180 Proof
    got them Monday blues again, y'all ... Happy V_D ♡

"I Can't Hold Out (Talk to Me Baby)" (2:12)
    A-side single, 1960
    writer Willie Dixon, 1959
    performer Elmore James

Elmo' James got nothin' on this baby

"For You Blue" (2:33)
    Streaming single, 9.16.2013 (my 50th!)
    writer George Harrison (d. 2001), 1969
    performer Dhani Harrison (b. 1978)

and
    last year's valentines :kiss:180 Proof
  • Seppo
    "Teen Town" ... Jaco Pastorius, 1977180 Proof

:love:

(love the dual bass on this performance, such an iconic bassline)
  • Seppo
    Another awesome band. My aesthetics professor in Montreal actually played in a band with some of the Godspeed members. Weird guy, but a good philosophy professor and an ace trumpet player.
  • Maw
    Another awesome band. My aesthetics professor in Montreal actually played in a band with some of the Godspeed members. Weird guy, but a good philosophy professor and an ace trumpet player.Seppo

That's very cool, yeah I love GY!BE, I saw them live in 2011 in Los Angeles - stood right in the front by Efrim.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment