• Jamal
    These days I listen to podcasts more than music. I'm vaguely disturbed by this trend, but I'm not going to resist it. This is a thread to share whatever podcast you're currently into. It doesn't need to have anything to do with philosophy, politics, or science.

Conflicted

"An ex-Al Qaeda jihadi turned MI6 spy and a former monk turned filmmaker, have been embedded at the heart of conflicts in the Middle East. Together Aimen Dean and Thomas Small unpack the realities of war, fundamentalism and their global implications through first-hand experience."

It's a series of conversations that combine personal stories with an analysis of jihadism and the conflicts in the Middle East, and it's fascinating. I've listened to three or four episodes and have learned quite a lot from them. Aimen Dean, who as an ex-MI6 agent is no opponent of the Western fight against jihadism, makes some important, interesting, and controversial points, including:

• Bosnia in the 1990s was the cradle of modern jihadism
    • Eschatology is central to the jihadist project
    • The 2003 invasion of Iraq was what al-Qaeda wanted
    • The invasion was "the great mistake of American foreign policy", not least because, just as a move against jihadism, it was counterproductive
    • The subsequent tension between al-Qaeda proper and the insurgents in Iraq acting as part of "al-Qaeda in Iraq" under Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, was partly a class conflict between the rich and educated, and the criminal class, respectively
    • The Arabs are not ready for democracy

Generally it's full of insights into the underlying context, i.e., the civil war within Islam, and how the Arab Spring fits in the story.

I listen on Spotify but I'll share the YouTube link here just because it embeds automatically:

• Sir2u
    I prefer audio books, at least I know that it is either 100% fiction/fantasy or a researched work. The few podcasts I have listened to were not very satisfying.
  • Changeling
    what are your interests? I tend to listen to podcasts based on my hobbies/interests e.g. this one:
  • Jamal
    Think of it like talk radio. If you've ever enjoyed listening to that, then you'd enjoy podcasts. In fact, there are many BBC radio podcasts.
  • Sir2u
    what are your interests? I tend to listen to podcasts based on my hobbies/interests e.g. this one:The Opposite

Most of my interests do not have much that could be said in a podcast. Whilst I am a good audio learner I prefer visual aids as well. They would have to be videos, or at least contain images. I do a lot of handy work in my spare time. I have built several houses so I watch and read material about construction and related topics.

I also like to watch some of the TED talks and I have found good supply of lectures for free online, lots of which come with visual/written references.
  • Sir2u
    Think of it like talk radio. If you've ever enjoyed listening to that, then you'd enjoy podcasts. In fact, there are many BBC radio podcasts.jamalrob

I used to love listening to the old BBC radio shows, but I am not really a fan of the talk just to talk style that is used so often today an the radio.
  • Jamal
    talk just to talk style that is used so often today an the radioSir2u

I'm not sure what you mean, but I was referring primarily to radio 4 and the World Service.
  • Sir2u
    I'm not sure what you mean, but I was referring primarily to radio 4 and the World Service.jamalrob

I don't get to hear radio 4 around here, not available. While the podcast are available, I can honestly say that I have no idea what most of them are about. The ones that are about news, things that are happening either locally in England or internationally, I would rather read about in the news pages where they have images or videos.
    I have no idea who most of the famous guests that some of the podcasts have, probably because most of them are were not famous the last time I was in England.

For instance, early this year I read a book about time travelers and Boudica was mentioned. I have a bad habit of looking for information about the places and people that appear in the books I read. I even use Street View to look for the places sometimes. I looked for information about Boudica and found a BBC podcast about her. After listening to it I was a bit disappointed, entertained yes but not informed.
  • Jamal
    I don't get to hear radio 4 around here, not availableSir2u

It's available online, last I checked. Has been for many years. It isn't blocked like TV (but there's a way around the block anyway).

I even use Street View to look for the places sometimesSir2u

I do that too, often when listening to podcasts or reading books.

After listening to it I was a bit disappointed, entertained yes but not informed.Sir2u

Bad luck. There are many unsatisfactory podcasts around, just like books, movies, everything.
  • SophistiCat
    Conflictedjamalrob

Thanks for the recommendation. Here is the web page for the podcast (had to google it). The first season was very interesting, listening to the second season now.

You mentioned BBC 4. My favorite show there is In Our Time. The show covers history, culture, science, religion and philosophy. There is one host and three invited experts for each ~50 min episode - and they are all very good, very professional. What I like about the show is that it doesn't try to entertain or to talk down to the listener. Rather, it is an intelligent conversation between an interested layman (the host) and the experts. There are quite a few philosophy episodes that I have found well worth listening to.

The Forum is rather similar in its scope and its format, although it is a little on the lighter side - but only a little. Indeed, I found some of the episodes on the same subjects to be similar in quality.
  • Changeling
    I'm in need of more podcasts... please help.
  • Noble Dust
    I don't understand podcasts. I used to love listening to terrestrial radio because it was live, and you just had to see what was on and go with it. Choosing to listen to someone talk for an hour feels weird. I guess it's like reading.
  • Jamal

I recently found “The Album Years” with Steven Wilson and Tim Bowness.

It feels like radio to me, or how it used to feel. 30 years ago I tuned in to my favourite radio programmes each week, and now I do the same with podcasts. Plus I can listen to the old ones too.
  • Noble Dust
    I recently found “The Album Years” with Steven Wilson and Tim Bowness.Jamal

Ironically I've listened to this one, since I used to be a Wilson-head back in high school.

I suppose I can give it a shot. I'm not really sure how podcasts would fit into my schedule. I'm a true millennial; I just watch youtube channels.
  • Changeling
    I'm a true millennial; I just watch youtube channels.Noble Dust

Give your eyes a rest and listen to some pods.
  • Jamal
    Ironically I've listened to this one, since I used to be a Wilson-head back in high school.Noble Dust

I like his work with Tim (No-Man). Not a huge fan of the other stuff.
  • Noble Dust

In retrospect No-Man would probably be my favorite project of his, maybe aside from Bass Communion. I like No-Man, although it does have recently-widowed-40-something vibes to it at times. And the Talk Talk/David Sylvian/Scott Walker influence can be a little heavy-handed. The No-Man catalogue is deep, though.
  • Jamal
    it does have recently-widowed-40-something vibes to it at timesNoble Dust

Seems to suit me fine.

But when I decided to put it on while I was working yesterday, the nostalgic melancholy was so unbearably poignant as to be distracting. (Then I put on all of Bohren & der Club of Gore's albums for the next few hours, and wondered why I was feeling down at the end of the day.)
  • Noble Dust
    Bohren & der Club of GoreJamal

Don't know them but appears to be something that I need to check out. On the list it goes.

In the spirit of unbearably poignant nostalgia, this is probably my top No-Man track. Wrong thread, whoops

"The hollow thump of life that has no taste."
  • Jamal
    :up: The Talk Talk influence is very much in evidence on that one. Sounds like "New Grass".
  • Noble Dust

Returning Jesus in general has more of a Talk Talk vibe for me. To each their own. Cool New Grass sample in this track (last off topic track I promise)

• Changeling
    I recently found “The Album Years” with Steven Wilson and Tim Bowness.Jamal

Cheers. I've started listening
  • Jamal
    I can recommend “From the Oasthouse”, which is a fictional podcast released as if it were a real one. Alan Partridge is one of the best comic creations of modern times, although I’m not a huge fan of the newer TV stuff.
  • Changeling
    Alan projecting himself onto the injured bird :rofl:
  • Changeling
    YOU'REHIGHNOON, YOU'REHIGHNOON
  • Jamal
    A poignant moment
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.