• Moliere
    That's the first time for me. Fucking awesome.

Thanks for sharing it.
  • Noble Dust

You bet. That’s very atypical for her; she was a jazz harpist and pianist, but at some point in the 80s she retired to live full time in an Ash Ram. During that time she claims God told her to sing, so she recorded several cassettes of these Vedic hymns. A compilation of tracks from the tapes was recently released; they were virtually unknown beforehand. This is an example of her more typical sound; still incredible:

• Moliere

EDIT: This really is a sermon on Marx. I love it.
  • Noble Dust
    A few recent finds:

• Jamal
    This is quite something. Others may be aware of it already since it’s been used in some TV shows recently, but I found it just yesterday after it was mentioned in a video about linguistics.

It’s a song by Adriano Celentano and it’s designed to sound the way that American English sounds to Italians, but it’s actually gibberish. I can make out “baby” and “alright” but otherwise the words are invented, in a phonetic impersonation of English as it sounds in rock n roll. It actually does sound like a real American song.

And unlike many novelty songs, I actually like it.

• Jamal
    This really is a sermon on Marx. I love it.Moliere

Good stuff.
  • Moliere
    Amen, brother.
  • 180 Proof
    Robbie Robertson - lyrics & guitar, d. 2023
  • Jamal
    Nothing to do with King Crimson.

• Jamal
    The model of pop music:

• Jamal
    Have I posted Cardiacs before? I’ve been trying to like Cardiacs for years, and I’m pretty sure I’ll get there. Right now though, it seems to me they’re too English, too silly, too punk, too Monty Python. But I’m trying. I know there’s much more to them than that, musically, conceptually, lyrically, stylistically.

My way in to Cardiacs was the beautiful guitar solo in the song R.E.S. It happens at about 3 minutes and it’s incredible.

Then I grew to love the whole piece.

• javi2541997
    Good morning :flower:
  • Noble Dust
    Does this ever get old? No. There's something about the chord changes that begin at 1:22 (and repeat throughout the piece as it's pretty repetitive) that sound sad, despite being major changes. Transcendent.

• Noble Dust
    Have I posted Cardiacs before? I’ve been trying to like Cardiacs for years, and I’m pretty sure I’ll get there.Jamal

Just saw this. I feel the same, although of course I'm not English. I'm sure I've posted Oceansize many times here, but do you know them? Their lead singer Mike Vennart is a massive Cardiacs fan. It's not always obvious, but I think you can hear the influence in tracks like this (there's a lot of other influences in there too like Talk Talk etc). The Cardiacs part doesn't really start till around 5:02 to my ear. I probably have even posted this track here before:

And perhaps more so this one although it's pretty unhinged and maybe a bit of a parody:

• Jamal
    I feel the same, although of course I'm not EnglishNoble Dust

I’m not English either, although I do have close connections.

I'm sure I've posted Oceansize many times here, but do you know themNoble Dust

I think that was the band you posted a couple of years ago that seemed a bit too late nineties or early 2000s for my taste. I do like the bits that show the Cardiacs influence, and that Sleeping Dogs one is probably the best track I’ve heard from them, although I’m still not completely into the sound.
  • Noble Dust
    I’m not English eitherJamal

:chin:

I think that was the band you posted a couple of years ago that seemed a bit too late nineties or early 2000s for my taste.Jamal

They're totally dated in that sense, yes, but I still love them. But I don't blame anyone for passing them off for this reason. There's a lot of nerdy musical information happening in their songs, though, underneath the dated sound.
  • Jamal
    :chin:Noble Dust

I thought you were implying that I’m English.
  • Noble Dust

I guess as a dumb American I don't really know what that actually means. Aren't you from Scotland? So that's not English, right? I didn't really think about it to be honest. "English" and "British" run together in my mind.
  • Jamal
    Scotland, England, and Wales are neighbouring countries, and together with Northern Ireland make up the United Kingdom.

Scotland, England, and Wales are on the island of Great Britain, also known as Britain.

England is the biggest country in Britain but is not synonymous with it, therefore “English” is not the same as “British”. To be English means to be from England, to be Scottish to be from Scotland.

Among Americans, Russians, and much of the rest of the world, English is used casually as a synonym for British, so if there are no Scottish or Welsh people around it’s probably acceptable.

And I’m not explaining it again.
  • Jamal
    Imagine not being English and someone doesn’t understand you when you say you’re not English, and you’ll understand why people who are not English insist on not being referred to as English.
  • Jamal
    ClsPSCaUgAQcv_E.jpg

Simple!
  • Noble Dust

Got it (I think?)
  • Jamal
    So when I said that sometimes I feel that Cardiacs are too English, I meant something quite specific. An aesthetic shared by Cardiacs, XTC, Monty Python, Genesis, the Clash and the Carry On films.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment